Clients In Crisis

lilith

Hello, I just did an internet reading for a client on ebay. She was going through some painful relationship issues, and it got me really thinking. This person was feeling vulnerable and upset. she wanted clarification on the reading I did over a man who was using her for sex. She seemed fine after we exchanged a few more emails on explaining what the cards indicated.

My concerns are what to do when a client threatens to harm themselves. I have a list of phone numbers to call in case of a crisis situation, I know I am not a certified counselor, and legally cannot provide therapy, but how would one go about getting professional help for someone through an email?

I know giving them phone numbers to empower themselves helps, but what would one do if you don't hear from them again? This comes from experience years ago when I volunteered on a local crisis hotline. I had a few suicide callers but was able to work with a professional on call to get help for the person in need.

Has anybody experienced this situation in cyberspace? What did they do besides giving them national resources and trying to find out where they are to get them help?

satinangel

Providing them with the necessary information (phone numbers) is the right thing to do in this case.

Glad that you had that at your fingertips!

I've not had this happen and it sounds like you are a little more prepared than myself.

Grizabella

I'd give them hotline numbers and then it's their responsibility to get help. Reading the cards sometimes brings us people who have a tendency to become emotionally dependent on us and encouraging that isn't healthy either for them or us. We can't put ourselves in the position of "saviors" to our clients. That might sound cold, but it's just common sense for both us and our clients. Give them national hotline numbers, or you could look up the numbers in their area on the internet or both. If you get too involved by contacting them to see if they got help, etc. then you put yourself in the position of "rescuer" and that's not a good thing. I also think if you send a follow-up email to check on them, you run the risk of seeming to try to string them along for more money through more readings, which isn't good, either, even though we're not really doing that.

sapphireandsage

I'm so glad that this thread reminded me of this item on my to-do list! I've just printed out the list at the following URL and have stored it in my 'tarot to go' bag:

http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/crisis_hotlines.htm

It is a nice, comprehensive list that describes in detail the services offered through several of the organizations shown.

Floss

Grizabella said:
I'd give them hotline numbers and then it's their responsibility to get help. Reading the cards sometimes brings us people who have a tendency to become emotionally dependent on us and encouraging that isn't healthy either for them or us. We can't put ourselves in the position of "saviors" to our clients. That might sound cold, but it's just common sense for both us and our clients. Give them national hotline numbers, or you could look up the numbers in their area on the internet or both. If you get too involved by contacting them to see if they got help, etc. then you put yourself in the position of "rescuer" and that's not a good thing. I also think if you send a follow-up email to check on them, you run the risk of seeming to try to string them along for more money through more readings, which isn't good, either, even though we're not really doing that.

I agree with Grizabella ABSOLUTELY. She's right on the button. This is where our own boundary setting abilities come in. This client sounds like she needs one on one work with a therapist, and it's her job to get herself into a situation where that can happen. I had a suicidal young woman in my office a month or so ago, she showed me the fresh cuts on her wrists where she'd made the attempt, she had NEVER spoken to anyone (I was the first person) about her problems. I strongly suggested to her she see a therapist and I gave her a referral to him, which she did take up. So I've done all I can, now it's up to her. Bottom line is nobody can make anybody else DO anything ... it's got to come from within the person.

lilith

Thanks so much for the info Saphireandsage! what wonderful resources. I totally agree Grizabella that we have to draw a line somewhere. It's just hard sometimes when to know when to put your foot down. I am glad to have these phone numbers handy in case I should ever have to give them!

yakn

sapphireandsage said:
I'm so glad that this thread reminded me of this item on my to-do list! I've just printed out the list at the following URL and have stored it in my 'tarot to go' bag:

http://www.allaboutcounseling.com/crisis_hotlines.htm

It is a nice, comprehensive list that describes in detail the services offered through several of the organizations shown.

That is great information to have on hand. I printed out the page and will keep it handy. There are so many situations that may arise and it is good to be prepared with sound and helpful resources.

yakn

nisaba

It's true with face to face readings, too - you have to be aware of local resources, and you have to be aware of what you can and cannot do for a client, when to refer them on. In my case, a guy who reckons he was spiritually advanced enough to see the Goddess wherever he looked - in the guise of Andrea Corr! (needless to say, he was an obsessed fan).

Grizabella

It can be a heady experience to have people looking to us for their answers but we always have to keep ourselves centered and remember we're not the one with the answers. We're just the messenger. The good of the sitter is the uppermost thing and we're just delivering the message the Universe has for them via the cards. Other than that, we're not their guru.