expensive decks what do you do with them?

beachcomb

Do you use your expensive decks????

Just today I got the Wonderland Tarot (with the LWB by Abbey). I haven't used it yet for a reading or for a deck of cards and since it is my first oop deck/expensive deck...

I am wondering what everyone does with their expensive deck(s)?

play or save???

celticnoodle

I would use it. that is why I purchase decks--to read with! however, I do know there are people who have decks they read with and decks they just purchase for the joy of owning the deck w/no intention of using it.

however, I also use the antiques that have been handed down in our family to me. As my mom and grandmother use to say--it was made to be used--and would be a shame not to put it to good use!

Manda

I use them because I never wanted to be more of a collector than a reader. The decks I got that were expensive (to me; that is subjective) and rare or out of print I got because I loved them and I wanted to use them, not just to have them. I gave a Whimsical and a Hello (they weren't oop then, and actually I think I did not even know that decks went oop then, either) I did not connect with to my then five year old daughter, and although she is respectful, two years later they look way worse than they would have if I had left them on my shelf, but they have been loved.

Of course, I also let her try on expensive cocktail dresses and my single pair of Jimmy Choos, and I set my table with the good china, and drink the good wine, because I think life is for living, and I intend to do that fully.

For all of my decks, I require clean surfaces and clean hands, and no smoking or drinking around them. I also HIGHLY recommend not using the riffle or poker style shuffle, because I really think that damages a deck more than anything else. I lay my cards down in random piles in a circle and pick them up in random piles a few times, then slide them over each other in my hands until it feels good.

I hope you love your new deck regardless of how you decide to use it!

beachcomb

Manda said:
I use them because I never wanted to be more of a collector than a reader. The decks I got that were expensive (to me; that is subjective) and rare or out of print I got because I loved them and I wanted to use them, not just to have them. I gave a Whimsical and a Hello (they weren't oop then, and actually I think I did not even know that decks went oop then, either) I did not connect with to my then five year old daughter, and although she is respectful, two years later they look way worse than they would have if I had left them on my shelf, but they have been loved.

Of course, I also let her try on expensive cocktail dresses and my single pair of Jimmy Choos, and I set my table with the good china, and drink the good wine, because I think life is for living, and I intend to do that fully.

For all of my decks, I require clean surfaces and clean hands, and no smoking or drinking around them. I also HIGHLY recommend not using the riffle or poker style shuffle, because I really think that damages a deck more than anything else. I lay my cards down in random piles in a circle and pick them up in random piles a few times, then slide them over each other in my hands until it feels good.

I hope you love your new deck regardless of how you decide to use it!

I really like your philosophy, the best advice I ever got was never save your expensive perfume for "special occasions" because everyday you wake up is special.

and i didn't think about the shuffling because with this deck it has the h/c/d/s on the corner's so i was going to play solitaire with it (a lot-since it calms me when I'm working on my thesis) and I always move them and it usually ruins the edges of my other decks so if I do use them i'll just push them around.

thanks for your opinion :D

beachcomb

celticnoodle said:
I would use it. that is why I purchase decks--to read with! however, I do know there are people who have decks they read with and decks they just purchase for the joy of owning the deck w/no intention of using it.

however, I also use the antiques that have been handed down in our family to me. As my mom and grandmother use to say--it was made to be used--and would be a shame not to put it to good use!

this is a good way of thinking, it's made to use. thanks for your opinion :D

celticnoodle

Amen to all that, Manda! I agree 100% with you! We also still use our good china, & silver and I also use the china I was given that belonged to my Great Grandmother, which traveled from Japan to Ireland and then Ireland to the US. (more of a traveler then I am! :p) as well as the beautiful hand made lace tablecloth that belonged to my husband's grandmother from Scotland, (or was it from England?) :) I just adore these things--and want to share them--so we use them!

I also think it is wonderful that you gave those decks to your daughter, and I am sure she loved them! they may be a bit worn now, but they are worn out with love. makes them all the more special, I'd say! :thumbsup:

rwcarter

beachcomb said:
I am wondering what everyone does with their expensive deck(s)?

play or save???
It really depends on how you see yourself. If you see yourself as a collector, you'll get a better resale value for a pristine deck than you will for an old beat up deck. I've seen some old beat up decks go for a lot more money than I would ever consider spending. Unfortunately there's no way to predict which decks will command insane prices regardless of their condition.

If you see yourself as a reader, then you ostensibly bought the deck to read with, right?

And if you see yourself as both, you have to decide with each deck which inclination is stronger.

Rodney

girlgeek

Disclaimer: my most expensive deck was only 30usd, please keep that in mind.

If you consider it an investment, something for resale, then don't use it. Leave it in the shrink wrap if you can.

Me? I think things have no value unless they are read, played with and used. I'm all for touching things up and loving them. When in doubt, void the warranty!

Sinduction

I find nothing more sad than a deck that is never read.

I also hate it when the hubs isn't careful straining pasta because any that go down the sink will never be eaten. How sad to never live up to what you were meant for?

SunChariot

The only one I have is the Legacy of the Divine. I definitely use it. And it's a great deck and works wonderfully too!

I use all my decks. Personally I would only buy a deck I had plans to use. Even though I know many others feel differently about it. But that's me. :grin:

Babs