PDA

View Full Version : Crystal ball stands?

Grigori
16-04-2009, 17:23
I just got a beautiful Selenite sphere for my birthday, and want to get a stand for it. However it's too big for the couple stands I have, and I couldn't find anything else in my local area when I got those ones (excluding the very ugly of course :laugh: ). Can anyone suggest a retailer that I could check out?

I'd love something simple, a silver or brass sort of stand, maybe antique looking, to fit a larger sphere, about 5-6 inches (12cm) diameter?

Major Tom
16-04-2009, 18:57
I don't know any retailers for proper stands but wonder if you thought about using a bangle?

214red
16-04-2009, 19:55
candle holder also works, one of the tealight ones, they are pretty aswell

BodhiSeed
16-04-2009, 20:43
Check out the antique shops in your area; you might find something you can use as a stand (even though it might not originally have been for that purpose). Major Tom had a good suggestion!

Grigori
16-04-2009, 22:47
Thanks guys! I have a smaller sphere on a ring, didn't think to upsize to a bangle! I'll keep an eye out. Candle holder could work, I also though maybe an oil burner would be good, take off the glass bowl on the top and bang, instant ball holder. There is a huge antique place near me so I"ll check that out also. They're hideously overpriced for what is basically a glorified thrift store, but have a great range of stuff so might work well :)

I'd really love to find something like these, but in a larger size.
http://www.abaxion.com/sq897.htm
http://www.abaxion.com/mg04.htm

celticnoodle
16-04-2009, 23:01
oh, two beautiful stands there similia! and LUCKY YOU!!! Happy Belated Birthday!

another item to consider too, are candle holders and plant holders. I found a very sturdy wooden plant stand in TJMaxx (a cheap store here in US) for only $7.00 once, :laugh: and it works beautifully for my ball when I am reading, keeping it very secure in either my lap or on the table. also, I have another one that was meant really for a candle--sort of the style like you have shown in the pictures above. pretty ornate, and holds the ball well for a beautiful display of it in my china hutch. I also have a 3rd one, that is very plain rings--like napkin rings, that holds the ball too, and holds it securely. that one was only a few dollars too. I think it was a napkin ring, can't recall now. :laugh:

HearthCricket
16-04-2009, 23:17
Similia~Quick warning while looking for an ornate crystal ball holder. I purchased one a few years back (can't remember what website) that looked beautiful and dependable. But the scrolled edgings that came up to meet the sphere were too tight and sharp and if I had used it, it would have scratched the ball. So, be careful that wherever you buy it, you can return it and check for any sharp edges before you slip the sphere in place! :)

214red
17-04-2009, 01:28
i have a lovely small quartz ball, and i used to sit it on one of my rings i have (silver band) whilst it got used to me...were friends now:-)

BodhiSeed
17-04-2009, 02:35
Similia~Quick warning while looking for an ornate crystal ball holder. I purchased one a few years back (can't remember what website) that looked beautiful and dependable. But the scrolled edgings that came up to meet the sphere were too tight and sharp and if I had used it, it would have scratched the ball. So, be careful that wherever you buy it, you can return it and check for any sharp edges before you slip the sphere in place! :)
Good advice, as selenite is a very soft stone and easily scratched.

HearthCricket
17-04-2009, 02:38
Good advice, as selenite is a very soft stone and easily scratched.

No kidding! All you have to do is breathe on it and it dissolves! :D Beautiful stone with a lot of purpose, but so fragile. Perhaps a beanie pillow would be a nice way to hold it, too, so it won't scratch or roll away!

Grigori
17-04-2009, 10:41
Thanks again everyone, a pillow might be a good idea for this one. I love the look of the metal, but don't want my sphere to get all scratched up from it. I tend to move it around a lot so something sharp would be a problem indeed!