Celtic Astrology and the Future

lilith

I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but can you cast future horoscopes in Celtic Astrology? I've ordered a few books on Celtic Astrology and am really eager to learn more about this subject. From the information I've gathered so far, I've only discovered different personality traits under your birthdate, while "googling" the subject. Is it possible? Are there any resources out there? Thanks.....

BigLuna

Hi, Lilith.

I've only seen what you describe -- personality traits assigned to trees and plants, basically. I haven't come across a way to cast a chart using those. I suppose you could assign time periods around the outside of the wheel of the natal chart that correspond to the Celtic time periods.

Maggiemay

lilith said:
I don't know if anyone's posted this before, but can you cast future horoscopes in Celtic Astrology?

Hi Lilith,

I believe you could because Celtic astrology is lunar based. Like the Chinese horoscope.

I hope you will share with us what you learn!

Thanks,

Maggie :)

lilith

HHMMM, interesting, I will try to figure something out after I get the books I ordered. Thanks

Minderwiz

There seems some real problems with Celtic Astrology, the main one being that Robert Graves appears to have invented the Tree Zodiac, and his description has been criticised as having little or no relation to what the Celts actually did believe.

Now I am NOT an expert here, but the only article of academic standing I could find is:

http://cura.free.fr/xv/13ellis2.html

Which was published in the Astrological Journal (the Journal of the Astrological Association of Great Britain)

It also credits Maurice McCann, who is an Astrologer of some standing.

I don't initially see any way of doing a 'horoscope' without adding a complete new layer of divination based on something non-Celtic.

lilith

Thank you Minderwiz, I see the point now. I really loved the notion of working with trees as a source of divination. Now, sniff, sniff, I'm kind of bummed. :(

Maggiemay

Read the article. Brutal.

Maggie :)

Minderwiz

Well, what is called into question is Robert Graves' take on Celtic Astrology, not Celtic Astrology as such.

However, that's no consolation if you've bought books which take Graves at face value.

It would be nice to have a 'Northern European' version of Project Hindsight but as far as I can gather there is little in the way of surviving written evidence, as Celtic practice was an oral tradition.

Maggiemay

Minderwiz said:
Well, what is called into question is Robert Graves' take on Celtic Astrology, not Celtic Astrology as such.
True.

Maggie

crystal dawn

Hi all
I have a book on celtic astrology and its brilliant. The book I have is by Helena Paterson and talks alot about the celtic belief system and it is a lunar based astrology designed to compliment solar astrology.
Hmm about the robert graves white goddess debate - as far as i have heard the white goddess is based on a translation of the book of ballymoat which is an authenticated book on celtic wisdom. The white goddess by robert graves seems to be a key book that other authors seem to always refer to alot, as he seems to be an authority on the subject. I have never heard of this Mccan person that minderwitz refers to. Maybe that within itself says something.
On a final note I believe that we are all free to work with our own systems, traditional astrology needs to be learned and learned well and from there we can develop our own uniquie system if we wish or work with other systems as long as we have a clear understanding of the basics. Remember we are all individuals after all and must work with things that we are drawn to without that, our individualism dies.

blessed be

crystal dawn