When the children don't care ...

nisaba

I have one child, who thinks that Tarot, computers, the Internet and reading books are all dorky, uncool and boring; thus, we have *nothing* in common (oh, except for DNA, and even that I'm doubting - she looks far more like my Baby Brother than she does me, so I'm just wondering whether I adopted a child of his that he didn't want ... )

She really, really is bored by Tarot. Didn't enjoy her one lesson at all.

She's not scared by it, like her grandmother and her best mate, she just thinks it's ho-hum. Something only I could love, and she knows that's only because I Have No Life. If I suddenly grew a life, she reasons, I'd lose all interest in Tarot (doesn't speak well for my last 25 or 30 years, does it).

So I have this burgeoning collection.

All my Tarot-interested friends are my own age or older and probably won't outlive me by much, or else are not that good a friend.

As the kid doesn't do books, my will has already a provision to donate my entire library, minus any books she may care to pick out, to the nearest needy library. I fully understand that they will immediately try to hold a sale to get rid of my occult books - I've seen their range!

So ... what happens to Tarot decks? Who will I leave them to? I can't stand the thought that I might go under the wheels of a bus tomorrow - or die peacefully in my sleep in forty-one years' time, and all these Wonderful Things will get carelessly thrown out by her because she doesn't see the value or interest in them. They have to go somewhere! Where?

Perhaps we can establish an Aeclectic Trust, to look after the collections of deceased persons who don't have like-minded heirs, which can then be gifted or sold to needy Tarotistas on prove-ably low incomes? At least then you know they are going to be loved after your time with them is up, if you have crazy progeny like mine or none at all.

Tarot decks are a bit like pets, not saucepans. Although I'm a good cook, I don't give a damn what happens to my kitchenware when I die. But if I still had animals, especially long-lived animals like galahs, which can reach a century with care, you have a massive responsibility to them. It's not good enough to say "It may never happen" - that is predicated on you being the first person in millenia to be immortal. Card XIII rocks around for us all sooner or later, even if it's decades later, and even if it is a card of transformation, I will transform into something that has no access to my previous property. Just as I made sure there was ongoing care arranged for my late galah when I got her, I really feel I should do the same for my collection.

Grizabella

I couldn't help but laugh when I read this. :p It's not unusual to birth a child and wonder what gene pool they flopped out of to land in yours. Kids come through us but don't belong to us so it's not unusual to have this happen. You know how with animals you have what are called "throwbacks"? Well, it's the same with kids. You can't depend on them to fit into your family once they're here.

nisaba

Oh look, she's lovely and I adore her. She's just a complete alien.

Which leaves me with a tarot collection that will probably end up in a garbage bin when she sorts through my stuff, along with my worn-out clothes. Breaks my heart to think about it ...

The crowned one

I am not too concerned with what my children do with my cards. I suspect they each will keep one or two of my favorites, and likely sell the rest. I am fine with that, they get a few bucks out of something I enjoyed immensely and my decks will find new homes were they are really appreciated. When I think about it ( and I do not often), my tarot collection is a very small part of what I want my children to take from my estate and in the big picture not that important.

I am a bit surprised people might care what happens to their cards after their deaths. Perhaps it is because I only have 50 or so decks, of which 30 mean something to me. I am curious to see what others have to say. If I knew I was "knocking on Heavens door" I would gift most of my favorite decks with out a doubt.

Grizabella

My daughters and grand-daughters will probably save at least some of my decks. I think if I get a chance to know I might be on the next bus out, I'll give away a lot of them to people here and to some young people who are interested in Tarot here.

Manda

You can send them to me, Nisaba! I am getting pretty aged myself, but I plan to live for a long, long time and be a burden to my children.

Seafra

There was a thread about a year ago about this same thing.

If I had to label my daughter she would be "Barbie" -- I would be "Hippie" I suppose.

My daughter has no interest in Tarot, neither does my son. After my death my daughter has instructions to carry my decks with her, one at a time (I don't have many), and the person who needs the deck she is carrying will make themself known to her somehow. She doesn't believe me but I am her mother and she will do this for me because I've asked. What I mean is she understands my wishes are sincere, not that I'm General Patton barking orders. lol

I just don't know how the cards will react to being carried around in designer handbags -- they are used to burlap and backpacks.

Alpha-Omega

being only 20 I dont have any plans yet for my decks when that time comes (ekkk) but I would not want to see my collection going in the trash, books and decks. I would like them to stay in the family. Maybe somewhere down the line someone will find a bunch of tarot decks in a dusty trunk in a basement or attic and the cards will be used onces more. I am inheriting an old JJswiss deck from the 60's that was used on my first cousin twice removed wifes side. Its a stretch but still "in the family". I would like to see that with my decks.

nisaba

Manda said:
You can send them to me, Nisaba! I am getting pretty aged myself, but I plan to live for a long, long time and be a burden to my children.
<laughter>

My kind of person!

Wendywu

You could leave them to Anonny Mouse for distribution as and when. Of course Anonny Mouse in this case would have to be Solandia but I'm sure she'd oblige. Or her successor ....

Anyway - what kind of Saturday night brought all this on!!

Next time - bottle of wine - great DVD - bubble bath - choccies.