Overpricing of tarot decks?

SkadisPhoenix

OK, so I bought the Truth-Seeker's Tarot, from a holistic shop across the road from where I live. I bought it yesterday lunchtime, and have just noticed the price on the bottom of the box (I had looked while in the shop, but couldn't see it, so asked the lady...). The lady in the shop charged me £24.99 for the cards, but the pricing on the box is £16.99, that's nearly half as much again, which for a poor student is at least two weeks worth of food.

What's the deal here? Is this acceptable, or should I take the cards back to the shop, and ask for that £8 that they added. If it had only been a couple of quid, I'd have ignored it, but THAT much, to me, seems FAR too much money to be adding onto the price of a tarot deck. :confused:

Rabbit

If you still have your receipt, I would ask. Maybe the clerk couldn't see the numbers.

SkadisPhoenix

*nods* I have got the reciept, though it's only the Visa reciept, so I don't know what the shop will think about that one. However, I'm a regular in that shop, so hopefully they will be reasonable, especially seeing as they are situated on the same street as a university campus (where I live)

afrosaxon

The lady is probably trying to make a profit, and figures that tarotists will pay whatever for a deck.

But I agree with the others and say, take your receipt back and try to get the difference refunded to you. I remember my college days and how every penny counted.

(((SP)))

T.

Grizabella

If the shop couldn't buy in big enough bulk (numbers) to qualify for the wholesale price of the deck, then they had to pay full price and jack up their own price enough to make it profitable to sell it in their shop. :)

SkadisPhoenix

Grizabella, I'd go along with that, but they never have a shortage of people in there buying things, and as I said, a few pounds more wouldn't have mattered, but another half again on the price? That seems a bit much. And there's another shop on a nearby shop (which I prefer, the people who run it are a couple who remember my name. :p), where they don't over price them that much. :confused:

Grizabella

Then there's that old supply and demand thing. If there's a greater demand for the deck than there is a supply, charging more for the deck is warranted in the eye of the seller sometimes.

I'm not saying you shouldn't go try to get your money back if you want to. I'm just answering your question about why they might have done that. Or, my perception of what you were asking, anyway. I'm recuperating from an infection so I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer at the moment.

SkadisPhoenix

Haha, I'm NEVER the sharpest pencil, I've got a bad cough at the moment myself, and my period, so I'm even worse than usual. :p

Again, supply and demand didn't come into it, I saw the deck, mentioned that I hadn't seen it in there before, and she said that she'd seen some cards, thought it was pretty, so ordered one deck, just in case. :p

Ambrosia

I dont think it would hurt to ask :)

I know in NZ, if something is labelled with a certain price in the store, they HAVE to give it to you for that price. Even if its price has technically gone up and they havnt gotten around to changing the prices on the stock yet. If it is advertised as a certain price on the shelf, then the consumer has the right to have it at said price.

Dont know if its the same elsewhere though.

Manda

Wholesale pricing of books is about half the retail price. The shop should not be buying the cards for the retail price, under any circumstance. It simply doesn't make sense from a business perspective. Also, that particular title is available at Amazon UK and Book Depository for less than the price you should have been charged to begin with. I am all for supporting small business, but to be charged so much more than the retail price is not right.

I certainly hope it was a simple mistake and that you can get your money back.