Shaking off bad feedback :(

girlgeek

I've been reading on and off for money for sometime and reading on the phone for a few months and got my first crappy feedback. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with a client that was clearly unhappy that I didn't tell her what she wanted to hear. It was being called inexperienced and inaccurate that stung. :(

So how do you guys shake it off?

PS - Yes, I know, I'm being a weenie, I just usually make people so happy.

nisaba

Making people happy is fine, but you can't make that the standard of a good reading. A good reading is one where you do not compromise yourself or the message. Occasionally people are unhappy with that. That's their problem, not yours.

gregory

What she said. I hit a reading where nothing fit once - it was here - it wasn't even that it wasn't what my sitter wanted to hear, I was gutted till I thought about it - the sitter was someone I like and respect a lot; better to hear the truth. YOU on the other hand didn't have that problem; your sitter is the one with the problem. Maybe they will be back soon to apologise and tell you you were right after all....

Altena

Truth can be a bitter pill to swallow. Sometimes people just come to a reading with a clear idea of what they want to hear. If you happen to tell them something different from what they expect, they immediately dismiss it as being wrong. If they refuse to listen that's their problem, not yours. Your job is to read the cards, not go out of your way to make people happy. A good tarot reader is not someone who disregards the messages of the cards only to tell people what they want to hear. You would not be doing them any favors by doing so, even though it would feel that way to them. In such cases it's better to be honest, whether they like it or not.

I once did a reading for someone and she immediately told me that she could not see how it was relevant at all. However, I'm of the idea that the cards are always relevant somehow- even if people can't see it at the time so I told her just to wait and see what would happen. Four(!) months later she came back to me and asked for a new reading. She said that to her surprise everything I had told her back then had turned out to be 100 % correct.

Just keep doing what you do, don't give up. Sometimes it's very hard to know what's best for oneself and in such a case it can be good to have another person that can offer you a different perspective on things. Who knows, one day she might be thanking you for telling her exactly what you did :)

Alisa13

Who are you doing the reading for? Did you know the client inside and out? Did she tell the truth about you being inaccurate or where you TOO accurate and scared her? Does she have an axe to grind that has nothing to do with you other than for her, to prove a point and salve her ego, one person in her life isn't going to be right?
How to shake it off? Know in your heart you did your best, focus on what the cards have to say and tell the truth. The cards turned up the way they did for some reason and the cards know all.
YOU GO GIRL.
:)

satinangel

This can and does happen, especially on Keen or Kasamba! There are sitters there that will completely agree with you then slam you in their feedback.

This is their stuff, not yours.

Do yourself a favor...copy and paste some of the "good" feedback you've received and then print it. Don't read her feedback again. Put yourself in the mindset, that her feedback does not exist. Focus on the positive feedback you've received.

Baroli

satinangel said:
This can and does happen, especially on Keen or Kasamba! There are sitters there that will completely agree with you then slam you in their feedback.

This is their stuff, not yours.

Do yourself a favor...copy and paste some of the "good" feedback you've received and then print it. Don't read her feedback again. Put yourself in the mindset, that her feedback does not exist. Focus on the positive feedback you've received.

Very good and sound advice SA. :thumbsup:

Umbrae

No matter what profession, you cannot make everybody happy. Some folks are whiney jerks who always have something negative to say. Even here in the purple pages...

Shake it off, consider the source...move on...

Grizabella

Yep, what everyone else has said. And if you're reading on Kasamba, the people who do that are hoping you're going to refund their money because you're not a "real reader". Don't worry about it and don't refund.

Besides, you're not always going to be right on with your readings and even when you're right one, you're not going to please the sitter. Pleasing the sitter isn't your job. Your job is to read what the cards have to say. Contrary to what's commonly believed, making people happy isn' what your goal should be. Your goal should be to read what the cards are saying to your sitter, good bad or indifferent. They don't have to like it, they don't have to rave about your "accuracy"---you just have to strive to get the message right and convey it honestly, tactfully and compassionately----or not. Because sometimes you shouldn't convey the message and you also have to know when you shouldn't deliver it. Not because you're too chicken to deliver it or because you don't want them to get upset and say you're wrong because it will hurt your feelings, but when not to give it for the sitter's sake.

HOWEVER, on those places like Kasamba and Keen, they DO want you to please the sitter by telling them what they want to hear because that's how they make their money---from repeat happy customers. So reading for them is going to compromise your ethics if you're to do well there.

You can't be in it for your "accuracy" and the praise you get. Not that you are, but you know what I mean. You have to be doing it as a service to others. Kasamba isn't the best place to provide your service to others.

girlgeek

I wanted to thank everyone, it all seems so silly after a full nights sleep. :) A little about me, my day jobs involve IT work and college students, so making people happy is usually secondary to making everything functional.

I'll add a little more to this after some coffee and nicotine, I just wanted to sat a quick 'thank you' to everyone who's responded so far.