Crash Course in international shipping

hunter

HELP!!!

I need advice on international shipping and paypal.

I have some decks I'm not using that are wanted by someone in Argentina and someone offering me a cheap deck in the UK.

The postman gave me a SMALL flat rate box for $12.95 that cannot fit an average sized tarot book, even though it can be up to 4 pounds. The next size up is $40.00!!!

He said I missed the boat to Argentina 3 years ago in a thick Chinese accent and laughed. What was he talking about?

Are there options other than flat rate boxes? I couldn't understand the postman.

If someone paypals me money into my paypal account can I move it into my bank account for free or use it at Amazon?

Can I send money by paypal for free?

I need a crash course in international tarot trading. HELP!!!

shadowdancer

hi there. it can be a minefield.

I cannot say anything about the shipping costs, but if you are paid by someone and they pay into your paypal account, payal do take a percentage as a fee. So don't expect to see the amount they paid for the deck, book or whatever - it will be less.

You cannot at the moment (and someone can correct me if I am wrong) use paypal to buy anything from amazon.

Yes, you can transfer paypal funds into your bank account :) I have no idea what the procedure is, as I tend to spend my paypal balance elsewhere so have have never done it yet. Again, I think there is a fee for transferring it into your bank if it is below a certain amount you are transferring.. again I am open to being corrected on that one.

I think the best thing you can do is go into paypal and do a search to have your questions answered?

Certainly paying by paypal is quite easy.

Davina

Oni

shipping to Argentina

Hey i had the same ?S as u awhile back, someone in Argentina from on here and i live in usa. i sent a deck and book set this one it shows the weight and dimensions http://www.amazon.com/True-Love-Tarot-Secrets-Relating/dp/0312337566

it was not small or light it was a deck and book set in the box and i sent it in a one price international mailer. it was like 12 bucks or maybe 14 tops. this was earlier this year. so if u r just mailing a deck only it would be less than that.

magpie9

I recently sent a deck and a deck/book set to Argentina, and used a regular bigger non-flat rate cardboard box. It cost $20. US. It would have been cheaper if I'd used bubble wrap and a mailing envelope, so it doesn't have to cost all that much. As for your Post Office person, you can go to a different Post Office, &/or you can get all kinds of information at USPS.(com or gov) on line. I found out later that once the package crosses the US border you can even track it using the Customs Declaration number.

I transferred some money from Paypal to my bank account once, but didn't do it again because it was so slow---not instant at all. Later I got a Paypal Debit card and use it the same as any debit card. It's a lot easier, and they charge the person I'm paying the fee, just like with any credit/debit card. They never charge a fee for paying with Paypal.

Good luck to you. International trading can be a lot of fun. I hope this helps. :)

karen0205

I ship out of the country all the time.
Here's what you do:

Have the person pay you with paypal and make sure they check 'goods' or you won't be able to print out a label. ( you have to have a printer, do you?
Print out the international Flat Rate Envelope shipping label through paypal.
You can also ship them out at the USPS website.
I prefer to print from the USPS website because I can change the value of the items so the people getting the items don't have to pay VAT tax.

If you want to print from the USPS you need a credit or debit card.

You can get Flat Rate Priority Envelopes at your post office or you can order them on line. They are FREE
You also need the International Plastic Envelope that goes on the front of this envelope. They are free also. Do not forget this, it's where the label goes.

The Flat Rate Priority envelope is $12.95 to Argentina, you can fit up to 4 pounds in that envelope for $12.95. It's usually at least 3 decks.

It's $12.95 to MOST countries, double check on the USPS website to be sure.

You print out the label, put it in the clear envelope that sticks to the front and seal up your priority envelope. Leave it for the mail carrier to pick up.
Or you go to carrier pick up and schedule for him to pick it up.
That's all there is to it.

if you need more help, just let me know.

Grizabella

The flat rate envelopes for $11 aren't the cheapest way to send to Argentina or anywhere else overseas, though. Just package the deck in some bubble wrap and a regular mailing envelope and send it that way first class. It's a lot cheaper. Only use the flat rate envelopes if you want to send something that's bigger and heavier than a deck alone.

lunakasha

magpie9 said:
Later I got a Paypal Debit card and use it the same as any debit card. It's a lot easier, and they charge the person I'm paying the fee, just like with any credit/debit card. They never charge a fee for paying with Paypal.

Just adding to what magpie said~ the PayPal debit card is a great way to pay for any number of things AND quickly get cash from your PayPal account without having to wait for a bank transfer. You can use the card to pay for an amazon order, for example, or use it anywhere you pay with a debit card and get cash back. There are additional fees if you use the card at an ATM, however, so if you can get cash back on a purchase, that is the best way to go.

Here is the link to apply for the PayPal debit card: https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/acc/dc_intro-outside

:) Luna

karen0205

Grizabella said:
The flat rate envelopes for $11 aren't the cheapest way to send to Argentina or anywhere else overseas, though. Just package the deck in some bubble wrap and a regular mailing envelope and send it that way first class. It's a lot cheaper. Only use the flat rate envelopes if you want to send something that's bigger and heavier than a deck alone.
I'm sorry Grizzabella but I have to disagree with you. I ship about 15 - 20 packages
overseas a month. It's not worth the $2 to go the cheaper route and lose the deck.
First class to Argentina for 13 ounces, which is the standard deck weight,
is $10.50. There is no time frame given for delivery and it can take up to 8 weeks.
With priority flat rate envelope, there is a delivery confirmation number
and it is usually delivered in 6-10 days. Plus you have proof of mailing.

I would never ship anything first class after having too many things that
I shipped that way lost. They are sitting around and shuffled around
for way too long. Things get opened, lost, damaged. etc.
I don't even like to ship first class inside the US.

It might cost a bit more but if you are selling something you aren't paying
the shipping anyway and if you are trading, you want to be sure the item
gets to the person you are trading with. $2 is not that much more for
the increased reliability of priority.

Lunakasha,
I use my paypal debit card all the time! It's the greatest thing.
I can't recommend it enough.

hunter

Thank you all so much for the info!!!

I'm just going to fit what I can into an envelope tomorrow. I think it will hold more than the small box. The box is not big enough for many of the common companion books. They are about 1/4 inch too wide. I wish the postman had told me about the envelopes! I asked him to tell me all my options. Sigh.

I'm not trading or selling this particular shipment to Argentina. Just trying to collect a little shipping after it arrives, as long as it does safely. It will be a good test run for me to experiment with.

You have to wait 60 days to apply for a debit card. I need to wait a week or two yet. I'll try that as soon as I can. I couldn't figure out if the card is free for basic service or only for premium and business customers.

I just learned so much from all of you. Thanks! Playing around when the stakes are small, sets us up to be prepared for important things when they arise unexpectedly. I'm really glad to be learning all this.

I can't thank you all enough for all your help. I'll be printing out this thread.