Back-up Deck...

JennyFunk

...I'm getting a secondary of my favorite deck. I'm not sure if I want to make an art project out of some of my favorite cards...or just use it to make my daily drawings and keep that card out all day long(so as not to mess up the ones from my first deck)...

Just not sure. I use this deck for my own studies and personal readings as well as two other very close friends. So, I was thinking of framing a few of the cards...

Just wondering what ideas yall have, or what you might have done yourself.

:) JennyFunk

Haunted Wood

I think it's a cool idea :). I want to get a second copy of the druidcraft...I trimmed mine and love it, but I do find the cardstock isn't that great and the cards have gotten grubby rather quickly. So I think I'd like a second copy, which I'd probably leave as is and wouldn't trim, then I could have a trimmed and untrimmed deck to compare. I think the trimmed one would be good to use just for study maybe, when I just want to look at the images and ponder over them. Don't know what you could do with your decks, maybe you could decorate the cover of a tarot journal with them?

nisaba

I think it's almost necessary if you;re using one deck a lot - what happens if it goes out of print, then wears out completely and you can't replace it when it's so badly faded that you can hardly make it out? Spares are good. If I were a millionnaire, I'd have spares of everything that I liked.

214red

i have a small number of decks and the ones i like i will get back ups for. i recently got a spares deck for my rws as i find that general wear and tear hurts the cards, and its worked well so far.

i tend to use all cards for all readings, i dont have a deck just for me, i know i would end up breaking that rule so i dont bother.

i do have some decks and their mini version which helps me, so if i was doing a daily draw i would do it from the main full size deck, then i replace the card and pull the same card from the mini deck and walk round with that as a book mark all day , it keeps my main deck reading ready (also if i lose a mini card i am not as bothered about it).

nisaba

214red said:
i tend to use all cards for all readings, i dont have a deck just for me, i know i would end up breaking that rule so i dont bother.
<bewildered> I don't understand ...

Le Fanu

O God, don't get me onto back ups...

I never meant to start buying back ups but the problem is that Ive bought all the decks I love and I don't actually want anything else on the market. So I buy either better editions of what Ive got or back ups.

Slight exaggeration perhaps. But I do have two copies of quite a number of decks. Sometimes I opt for them in trades when there is no better option. Better - for example - to have another Ag Muller Thoth than - say - some fairy Oracle. I have deliberately bought very few duplicate decks as back ups. They just end up coming my way.

If Im going to trim a deck, I have to have a back up on the table, otherwise I can't stand the stress and I botch the job!

The only deck I have deliberately bought duplicates of is the V.Romantic. And the Minchiate Florentina. Cards don't really wear out. Only in exceptional circumstances. And even then, they look quite good.

But what if you lose a card from a beloved OOP deck? That to me is a greater danger

nisaba

Le Fanu said:
Better - for example - to have another Ag Muller Thoth than - say - some fairy Oracle.
But ... le Fanu ... um ...

sapienza

Le Fanu said:
O God, don't get me onto back ups...

Me either....it's a slippery slope.....

Le Fanu said:
Sometimes I opt for them in trades when there is no better option. Better - for example - to have another Ag Muller Thoth than - say - some fairy Oracle.

:laugh: Very true.

firefrost

Backups - oh, yes - back up your favourites!

emmsma

I have been resistant to this idea, but now you've got me thinking...

What if something happens to my Kipper deck. I don't think I could live without it!
Meh. Time to hunt for it all over again. Can't remember where I got it.