Trie Node and Chiron

Karenwhe

I am studying now a course for beginners on astrology, and I am having some difficulties understanding some things.

What is Trie Node and who is Chiron????? They are mentioned but not explained. Since I also have them in my chart I really wanted to understand this. (I have Trie Node/Cap 7th house and Chiron/Ari 10th house).

Any help would be appreciated.

And please.............. in simple words.

Minderwiz

Starting with Chiron - it was discovered in 1977 and was at first thought to be a planet - latest information suggests that it is something between an asteroid and a comet. Its orbit is somewhere between Neptune and Saturn - its somewhat eccentric being nearer the Sun than Saturn at its perihelion. There are now around 38 such bodies that have been discovered.

Chiron is named after the Centaur, immortal but suffering a wound - Astrologically the role as 'wounded healer' is the most familiar - Chiron shows where the wounds you have to heal lie. You can find out more about Chiron at

http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/7969/chiron.htm

I assume that you mean 'The Node' in your other query. This is a reference to the nodes of the Moon and there are two of them - referred to as the North Node and the South Node - they are the Zodiacal points where the Moon crosses the ecliptic - The perceived path of the Sun around the Earth. (or from a heliocentric point of view Earth's path around the Sun). They lie exactly opposite each other in the Zodiac - When the Moon is near or on the Nodes we get Eclipses - either of the Sun at New Moon or the Moon at Full Moon. These points have associations with Karma and the lessons of life - briefly the South Node indicates what we bring into the world and the North Node the lessons we have to learn to develop. The familiar and the new.

Incidently each planet has nodes as each planet rises and falls below the ecliptic as seen from Earth - the Moon's nodes are by far the most important because they pass through all the signs in about 18 years. For the rest of the planets we can be talking centuries.

Karenwhe

Minderwiz, thanks a million for that explanation. I understand now Chiron, the link was very helpful.

On the node I understood what you wrote, but I am not sure it refers to the same thing. I may be confused here.

On the chart it is written "Trie Node" not "The node" (unless it is a misprint) and it has a sign (looks like a musical sign with legs on both sides, did this made any sense?). It is also not opposite to anything.

What am I misunderstanding here? I am sure I missed something.

I hope you don't mind...... like I said I am having a bit of a hard time with certain things in Astrology, I hope it will get easier.

Thank you again for your help and patience.

Karen

Minderwiz

As far as I know there's no such thing as a 'trie' node so I expect that its a typo.

Just to confirm I have posted my horoscope with clear labels of what the node symbol (glyph) looks like

You can access it at:

http://www.minderwiz.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BAIBA/

Silverlotus

Could it be "True" node? The chart I had done at astro.com has that listed, and the symbol is the same as you described, I think.

As for what True Node is, I haven't got a clue. I know very little about astrology. :)

AquarianGoddess

Hi Minderwiz,

Some fancy computer work there....

My Moon is on your South Node and I owe you something from a former life, to do with the 12th house....let's see now, perhaps a bottle of wine?

AG

Karenwhe

Thank you Minderwiz I looked at the link and I have identified the symbol to be The Node, so now I see this is a typo.

It is though not placed opposite to anything. What does that mean? Isn't it supposed to be opposite the Sun or the Moon? or opposite the other node?

I am using a chart made by astro.com (Web Style/Placidus) for all my exercises in the course . Are these charts maybe not appropriate for that (too complicated or use different terminology)?

Thank you

Karen

Minderwiz

The North Node is always opposite the South Node - simply due to the nature of nodes.

I take it from what you describe that your chart only has one of the node symbols. Some computer programs only show the position of the North node and assume that the reader will realise that the South node lies at the same degree of the opposite sign.

So long as you know what the chart is showing you - including the symbols for signs and planets you can use any chart. The only worry here is the typo - which clearly led to confusion.

It is also possible for ta node to receive aspects from any other planet, which means that a planet can be conjunct either North or South node (and therefore in opposition to the other node). Interpretation in such cases is best done as a conjunctiton between the planet and the relevant node and the opposition is best ignored as a separate interpreation.

Astraea

True Node and Mean Node

Hi, Karenwhe. The typo is in the word "Trie," which should be "True." The nodes of the Moon (or any planet) are the points in space at which the orbit of the Moon (or planet) intersects the belt of zodiacal signs, known as the ecliptic. Because of orbital irregularities, two positions are possible for this intersection: the True Node, which is its actual astronomical position; and the mean node, which is a position derived from a mathematical formula that overlooks orbital issues. The True Node and the mean node can vary in position by up to eight degrees, but are usually within three degrees of each other. Many of the popular astrology programs today offer users the option of choosing which nodal position they wish to see displayed in their charts (making that the default setting). Both positions yield good results, but some astrologers get better results with one than the other (in the same way that a tarot reader might prefer one type of deck to another because it speaks to him or her more clearly).

Best wishes in your studies!

-- Astraea

Minderwiz

Good thinking Astraea, I assumed that there had been a problem printing 'the' and the 'h' had been broken into 'ri' However you are right to suggest that it should have been 'True'.

AG - bottle of wine will do fine - there are some good vineyards on Long Island (we've tried their sampling rooms) - anything from there will do LOL