Crystals and aquariums?

allecto

Looking at the great results that Sagewriter has had with crystals for herbs, I was wondering if anyone has used crystals for aquariums and what sort of results they have had?

This may sound a bit silly, but I have a fish that's languishing. I've got some treatment to go in his water but I was wondering if there is anything else that might help. He was a gift and I really want to keep him healthy!

Thanks!

Briar Rose

I had a Beta fish for a while, and then I put some Crystals in his bowl, and he died. Then I got a different bowl and different Crystals and another Beta and he died too. I didn't even use metallic ones.

If I ever got another fish I would either use the natural fish rocks, or the glass ones sold for fish. My mom has a Beta for years with a Prayer Plant in the water.

minrice

If you decide to put a crystal in the water be sure to boil it first even the smallest bacteria can create a problem for fish! I don't know how fish would react to crystals, but I'll bet the crystals are really pretty in the water. I too have a betta in a vase. He is cool :)

BodhiSeed

Maybe you could just put the crystals on the outside of the bowl or aquarium to be safe?

Nevada

I wouldn't think quartz would be a problem, though I'd be hesitant for reasons offered by others. But some semi-precious gemstones are toxic to people -- such as malachite. So you'd want to research for toxicity.

allecto

My fish is a betta, too :)
I was wondering about quartz but maybe I won't put anything in his tank, just to be sure. Thanks for the warning!

rabid

Don't worry too much about him being under the weather: this is not unusual for bettas who are adapting to their new homes. My fish, Bulimia, had trouble eating for months before he finally came into his own. Quake, my other betta was an absolute nervous wreck when I got him, but he's slowly gaining confidence.

One of the best things to do for your betta is to give him somewhere to hide: a silk aquarium plant works wonders. While some people do keep bettas with live plants successfully, I wouldn't suggest this: the bacteria from the plants can mess with the water.

Bettas are also VERY picky eaters. You may have to experiment with a variety of foods before you find one they like. Fruit, such as apples, are a nice treat for your betta, and I found they gave my bettas a boost of energy. But, be quick to remove any uneaten fruit, as the sugar can cause bacteria to grow in the water.

As for quartz: This should be fine. I have my fish in with a variety of different rocks and shells, picked up from all over Newfoundland, and I haven't experienced any problems. Just run some boiling water over them before you put them in with your fish. Please no sharp edges though, or they'll tear their pretty fins!