Drawing cards

Pocono Platypus

I have a Rider-Waite deck that I bought five years ago. I bought it back then, but I didn't start using until two months ago. I guess I needed to age the deck first, so it just sat in the box on my desk, or in the trunk of my car as I was moving about the country.

Then, once in a while, I would take it out and fool with the cards, but there was no connection. I figured, why try? It either happens or it doesn't.

But, at the same time, I joined AT and found myself an Internet home in the AT Chat Room with my long-running thread, Shipwreck.

Then, two months ago, I started using my cards. What changed in my life? Hard to say. But I began to use the cards and began to learn their meanings.

I took the deck out of the box and began to keep them in an old sock, figuring it was good for the essence of Pocono Platypus to commingle with the deck. This worked, but it was kind of crude.

So, last month, I cut up my old flannel shirt, with the Black Watch plaid pattern of green and black. I took a remnant of the flannel and made a wrap for my deck, tied with a small white cotton line.

That's how I carry my cards now, usually in the briefcase where I carry my laptop.

I often shuffle the deck and layout the cards in the morning when I have coffee. Since I quit smoking last month, I might cling to the cards with the desperation of an addict trying not to think about what he REALLY wants to do, which is to go outside and have a smoke.

Be that as it may, I have closed the door forever and firmly against smoking, and I still have my deck.

I layout a five-card draw. Sometimes, the five-card array makes no sense whatever. When that happens, I just re-shuffle the deck and draw another five cards.

But I have learned a new technique. If I am only slightly puzzled by the array, I draw a card for Clarification.

I have also spoken to a few people I know about my interest in Tarot. This is a big change, not keeping it a secret. But I don't expect to broadcast this interest -- just one or two people.

I guess what I have just written is more of a status report than an inquiry.

I'm not sure what happens next, but it surely will happen.

starrystarrynight

Hey, Pocono...well, as "they" say, when one is ready to learn, the right teacher comes along. Maybe tarot is that teacher for you right now (but wasn't until now.)

Angie9

Drawing Cards

Maybe you could start with just pulling one card to meditate on for the day. I have been studying for some years now and I draw three in the morning but will occasionally move back to a single card to help me really focus on the energy of each card.

Angie

nisaba

Go the Playtpus - us monotremes have to stick together through all ex-tremes.

I think you're doing fine. You didn't use the deck while it wasn't important for you to use it, and in this stage of your life you're moving towards it. I particularly like your recycled shirt edea for a Tarot wrap - not sure I can do it msyelf, but I like it.

You seem to be asking what to do next. I don't think anyone consciously chooses stages of development with something like Tarot - it just happens. Being here is a good start - you're around chatty, accepting people who are perfectly okay with you even putting your deck away for a few weeks or months if you need to.

Honestly, just as you knew when to pull out your cards and when and how to wrap them, you'll know what do do next. Just be gentle with yourself, don't demand great big developmental steps from yourself setting yourself up for disappointment, enjoy the ride, even if it's a slow float on a punt down a quiet creek.

Le Fanu

I gave up smoking by shuffling my Ancient Italian tarot and playing patience with it (minus the majors!)...

Shuffling the cards really helped me to stop craving cigarettes! Still does in fact

(P:S What came next for me was shopping big time... :D)