Prices of tarot readings?

SkadisPhoenix

OK, so I'd been planning on setting up tarot readings for people to buy,but not until about August time, but it's going to happen a lot sooner, as in almost immeadiately, and I was wondering what sort of prices people would be willing to pay for these readings.

It's about the only thing that I really CAN do, due to illness, and circumstances have changed, and I need to find a way to earn money, and fast. :confused:

SkadisPhoenix

And that sounds really awful of me, reading back, but unless find this money, I'm going to be homeless. :confused:

nisaba

Where do you live? In Australia, standard readings cost $35 to $40 for half an hour or so. Perhaps someone closer to where you are would have an idea of fair prices there.

SkadisPhoenix

I'm in the UK, in York. There was a suggestion (I've been googling) that one method to use is having each card priced at $5, and pricing tarot readings accordingly.

HearthCricket

Around here it varies. $25.00 for 15 minutes, $35.00 for 30 minutes. That way more people go for the longer reading. But in Salem a 30 minute reading can cost $50.00, if you are lucky, though $150.00 seems to be the norm. Which is why I opted to buy a deck instead of having a reading done! :D

SkadisPhoenix

That's face to face, right? Wowza. My boyfriend is kinda flabbergasted at that price! I'd be doing them online (I stutter quite badly, and have learning difficulties, so find it hard to talk face to face. Typing doesn't always seem to be a problem, I can take my time with it I guess. :)), so would the pricing be different?

HearthCricket

Yes, that is face to face, but you have to remember the area. Salem, MA, land of the Witch Trials, and brimming with tourists from around the world that would think it "super cool" to get a reading done by a "10th generation Witch and Psychic" etc., etc.! The place is chaos during the month of October. I am guessing they are not fairiing well, right now, with the way the economy is. Even 10 years ago, as we walked Derby Street, many of the readers just hung out at the doorways of stores and cafes we passed by, shuffling the cards and asking people if they wanted a reading, then dropping the bombshell of a price on them! Lots of heads shaking no!

SkadisPhoenix

OK, I see your point there! :p I'd feel bad charging that much anyway! ;)

starrystarrynight

Our local current "going rates" are approximately US$1.00-$2.00/minute (give or take) for face-to-face readings at shops and psychic fairs. (So, similar to what HC's area charges.)

Online, I charge US$20 for one question and stay pretty competitive that way. It's cheap, but seems to be what the market will bear right now--for me, anyway. Many of my online clients are repeat clients that I've built up over several years of offerings, though. That may be because the economy is so bad right now. New clients aren't as plentiful as they were in years past, unfortunately.

le fey

I can't recall where I heard it (probably here) but someone suggested a rule of thumb for face-to-face readings that involved looking at what the locals tend to pay for a wash, cut, and set haircut. You'll wind up with a low and high end price range that way and set your fee accordingly. Seems to make sense - both take about the same time and are optional 'good for me but not a necessity' services so locals will budget about that much without choking.

Online, the range I see is usually $15-30 per question, $50-75 for a long complex reading (just a very loose estimate).