How often do you consult another reader?

HearthCricket

For those of you who read tarot on a regular basis, how often do you pay to have another reader read tarot for you?

For years we had no one around, so I had no choice. Then we had a smattering of tarot readers at the local store, which was a blessing. But some have already left and the place is probably closing down. I have hooked up with my favourite readers who will come to my home to do readings for me when I want them. There is also another store 30 minutes away who take walkins. Most of the time I prefer to read for myself, but somewhere between 1-3 times a year I enjoy going to another reader, especially when I have a situation where I feel I need an objective look on things. I also enjoy observing the reading style and capabilities of others, good and bad, and hope to learn from the experience two-fold.

I am curious how many other readers go to another reader on a regular or semi-regular basis or if you even have the opportunity to. Especially with the internet, Metaphysical stores really seem to be thinning out around here, and sadly it is getting harder to find tarot readers. This happened before the economy fell apart, but seems to be even worse now.

gregory

I would rather ask for an exchange here, where I know what I'm getting :D

firefrost

gregory said:

What gregory said!

Miss Divine

I've gone to several professional readers, but they only used Lenormand.
I'd love to have a face to face Tarot reading from someone though, but most people only use Lenormand professionally around here.

The crowned one

I use a couple people here and it is about 1x a year for a second set of idea's/eye's on pretty specific issues.

214red

Paid readings

before i started leaning tarot seriously i went once a year, as i felt that was okay and not too often and gave me a kick start, although it always ended with the same variation on q "why dont you read, you know you can/could.."

since i have been reading i have seen any professional readers, part of me is worried that i backseat read their cards. i am aiming to have one soon and stop putting it off, i always pick a new reader each time so i need to find a reader that grabs me.

i know i need to know what this course is going to kick up emotionally to give me a bit of warning, i cant read my own signals right at the moment

Aulruna

What gregory said.

(Even better, going to one of the meetups and doing it live :D
Of course I know that's not possible for everyone.)

gregory

OR - find an AT member near you and meet up in private !

MantraTarot

gregory said:

+1

I had some readings done by others before and, to tell you the truth, the best readings I've had have been on here and for free (well, for feedback and/or an exchange, naturally!). There were a *couple* I had in real time that did a great job, but they didn't charge and only asked for a donation. The ones who had a set price were usually very expensive and did cold readings and constantly asked questions and bullied me into agreeing with what they said. But that's just my experience-- not saying this is how everyone works who charges and isn't on AT.

HearthCricket

Good input, here. A few years ago I started going to several readers to find a favourite. The first was awesome. The 2nd was horrible. The 3rd was way too vague. The 4th was the first one, again, and she spit out the same information as her first reading. The first time around it all fit. The second time around it didn't fit at all. That made me really question things. It probably didn't help that she was preoccupied with saying hello to every person that came into the store because the fair just started and she was feeling sociable. Grrr. Not on my 1/2 hour, lady! The 5th was excellent. Went to her, again. Still excellent. But that time around we spent a lot of time muttering over the cards together and I felt like I should have got my reading for half price because I read half the cards! She kept saying "You already know this stuff, anyhow. You might as well do the reading yourself!" Hmmm... That kind of missed the point as to why I was going to someone in the first place. Yes, she knew I read tarot, but I was paying HER to do a reading for me, for a reason! An objective view.

I appreciate what you are all sharing. Gregory sums it up nicely. I do like my readings here, but I really love them face to face when I can get it, even if it isn't too often. I guess I just need to be sure that is the route I want to take before I hand over money, which could always go to another deck or two. :D