Who will inherit your Tarot/Oracle Deck(s)

Golden Moon

Ok I know this is something that no one wants to hear and disregard it if it sounds dumb. But when you get on in years or the years accumulate who is going to be the one(s) that will pass down your tarot / oracle deck(s)? I would personally inherit them to whoever wants to learn how to divine with my tarot or oracle cards. I find it cute that if I had a son or a daughter, I could pass them my tarot / oracle deck(s) and then, them to their kids and so on, Have a generation of readers.

Has anyone given any thoughts about it?

Dusk Till Dawn

I already told my Daughter that she will get the Cards and my collection of Books one day, I also want her to sell them ,or keep collecting, whichever she prefers.

nisaba

This has been talked about a few times, one of them here. there's always hte risk that our children grow up with completely different values to us - the says of hte eldest child being forced to follow tehir parents into the family bujsiness are long gone, and kids can choose, but it does make unwanted inheritances more risky.

I wouldn't mind some kind of repository of unwanted deceased-estate decks and magical books, either kept as a specific museum, or kept to be gifted to needy, appreciative people who will enjoy their past history as much as their images and keep them loved and used.

Lilija

As it stands, right now, my son would inherit most of my decks and all of my books. He's interested, and pretty active in learning the Tarot, but he's young so he might abandon it later.

If not my son, then I don't know who. My husband has no interest in Tarot whatsoever, nor any of my other occult/spiritual materials. My best friend might take a deck or two for memento's sake.

It's a sobering thought, really. I would hate to see something that I poured so much love and effort into, that is such a huge part of my life just disregarded, seperated or broken up, sold on ebay, or taken for granted, after I pass.

firefrost

Lilija said:
It's a sobering thought, really. I would hate to see something that I poured so much love and effort into, that is such a huge part of my life just disregarded, seperated or broken up, sold on ebay, or taken for granted, after I pass.

If hubby was clearing out after me, they wouldn't even make it to ebay - just to the nearest dumpit site!

Which is why I've written strict instructions about certain decks. Both daughters have tried tarot a few years ago and got fed-up easily, but I wouldn't mind them benefitting from sales at all.

cardlady22

Perhaps the concept and timing of inheritance need to be re-evaluated. My grandparents gave things while they were living. They reaped the joys of seeing how much things were appreciated and the peace of mind that came from knowing there would be no divisive battles after their passing.

I adore nisaba's ideas about people setting up museums where donations from various collections can be displayed. This type of thing would need to be hosted by a spiritual/metaphysical organization, I think.

I shall enjoy my decks and books while they are in my home, but be equally grateful to share them with others as I see the need/want. :grin:

rosebud_a320

cardlady22 said:
Perhaps the concept and timing of inheritance need to be re-evaluated. My grandparents gave things while they were living. They reaped the joys of seeing how much things were appreciated and the peace of mind that came from knowing there would be no divisive battles after their passing.

This is exactly what I plan to do in my later years, I hope to have nieces and nephews and failing that there are cousins children and friend's children who if in years to come they show an interest in Tarot I would love to pass a deck their way and provide a few fun lessons in how to use the deck.
I also like the idea of a new generation keeping Tarot going.

lizziecat

Nobody will inherit my cards - probably end up in an estate or garage sale. I should probably flag the more expensive ones so they don't sell for $1.00 :)

Alta

lizziecat said:
Nobody will inherit my cards - probably end up in an estate or garage sale. I should probably flag the more expensive ones so they don't sell for $1.00 :)
Same here. Knowing my family they'll likely bin the lot.

AJ

Ditto here. My estate is to be sold with any profits going to the local humane society. Lot of work for my little sister or her daughter depending on how long we all live, but the executor gets paid while they work on the estate so she will come out ok.

Stuff is just stuff and everyone has too much already to take in someone else's stuff.