Fortune telling to advice

puresoul

I have been reading cards since 14y/o. My first deck seem to fall into my lap and was a destin that I seem to connect to, at the time. I could read my deck with ease and apperciation. When I was 18, I stopped reading them when I felt that they foretold my friends death. It was a relationship question and the last two cards for the future were 8 cups and Death. I thought this meant the relationship was over, but the next day we went on a trip and the message of that reading become more clear then I would have ever wanted it to be.
After, I dropped reading and did not pick them up until I was 23. I bought a new deck in hopes that this one would be cleared of any "bad fortunes." I can admit that I have NEVER attached and communicated as clearly to any other deck the same as the one I used in my younger years.
I find that now my card readings are very off. That my destin skill has become some wobble attempt at reading. Why can't I seem to find my middle ground in reading? Has my intuition been cut off because of fear?
I now read for myself all the time, only reading for a select few. I have found that I have depended in the cards to give me some fortune, but they will only give me advice I dont understand. When I read for others, this light that I once knew, closes off. My reading are no longer structure to help and advice but to tell fortunes. Where do you turn off knowing and accepting letting go of the unknown? I guess this why I am getting a lot of the "The Hanged Man" and 'Hermit." Sorry I just needed to ramble... any discussion is welcomed. Love

moderndayruth

Puresoul, i can imagine how upsetting that experience was at such a young age. I had the Death only once standing for someone passing away, it was in a reading about my late uncle, who was in his late eighties and, by the end of his life, in poor health already, so it wasn't unexpected. (I posted the reading at the Forum, but long time ago and i don't know how could i find now. Anyway.) Maybe the Hermit and the Hanged Man are denoting your search for the new ways and styles of reading? It would be difficult for me to say more like this (apart from making wild guesses), maybe you could do a Celtic Cross or some other spread on the question, something like - "how can i improve my reading style to suit better my own/my clients/friends needs "(or whatever you feel is the most appropriate), and if you'd post the reading in Your Readings subforum, maybe we could be of more help.
The best of luck to you!

hunter

Was your first deck a RWS or RWS clone? What about starting over with a VERY different deck.

I recently purchased the Runic Tarot. It's so different that some people call it an oracle deck. I get a very different feeling when reading with runes or the runic tarot than I do with the RWS. The runes are more ancient than the RWS major arcana. I don't yet understand this different feeling but it's profound.

There are many different kinds or oracles. Some are cards and some are more 3 dimensional.

What about reading playing cards?

Maybe just starting over clean with something as different as possible might help?

puresoul

hunter said:
Was your first deck a RWS or RWS clone? What about starting over with a VERY different deck.

I recently purchased the Runic Tarot. It's so different that some people call it an oracle deck. I get a very different feeling when reading with runes or the runic tarot than I do with the RWS. The runes are more ancient than the RWS major arcana. I don't yet understand this different feeling but it's profound.

There are many different kinds or oracles. Some are cards and some are more 3 dimensional.

What about reading playing cards?

Maybe just starting over clean with something as different as possible might help?

I never knew about the RW deck until I bought my second deck (and most used!) My first was given to me and was the Russian Deck of St. Petersburg!
I have often thought of buying Oracle cards but have this bias feeling that they would not be helpful. Like all the cards read as a good statement so I would find no hard truth to them. Lately I Have been very off emotionally and find that they Tarot can be TOO harsh for me. So maybe I need them give a try. Any suggestions of a good deck Hunter?

Thanks and love

puresoul

moderndayruth said:
Puresoul, i can imagine how upsetting that experience was at such a young age. I had the Death only once standing for someone passing away, it was in a reading about my late uncle, who was in his late eighties and, by the end of his life, in poor health already, so it wasn't unexpected. (I posted the reading at the Forum, but long time ago and i don't know how could i find now. Anyway.) Maybe the Hermit and the Hanged Man are denoting your search for the new ways and styles of reading? It would be difficult for me to say more like this (apart from making wild guesses), maybe you could do a Celtic Cross or some other spread on the question, something like - "how can i improve my reading style to suit better my own/my clients/friends needs "(or whatever you feel is the most appropriate), and if you'd post the reading in Your Readings subforum, maybe we could be of more help.
The best of luck to you!

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts. I am curently looking for a self-help reading. I feel everytime I read right now... I feel hopeless. Maybe Reading is not for me at this time in my life. Or like Hunter suggested, that I should try some Oracle deck. I also find that, although the "your readings" are helpful, they can be confusing at times. Too many diffrent interpretations and I can get lost in decided what is right and true for me.
Love

satinangel

You might try "playing" with your deck. Hop over to the Tarot Games & Fun forum and play! You might find the connection you are looking for if you try a different approach.

motsa

I have often thought of buying Oracle cards but have this bias feeling that they would not be helpful. Like all the cards read as a good statement so I would find no hard truth to them.
Not all oracle decks are sweetness and light. You can put a negative or positive spin on pretty much every situation -- that some oracle decks are more focused on looking at the positive aspects of a potentially bad situation instead of stating the stark facts doesn't necessarily make them lightweight or less useful than the tarot.

Decks published by Hay House are almost invariably affirmative, self-help type of decks. If you're finding the tarot really too much for you right now, one of those decks might help you to start to feel more comfortable again. They tend to be less oracle decks than affirmation decks but it sounds to me like maybe you could use that kind of deck right now.

I personally find I keep drifting back to my Fortune Teller's Mah Jongg and Faeries Oracle decks when I start "not feeling" the tarot, which is frequently. (I suspect I'm an oracle deck girl at heart but don't tell my tarot decks.) ;) Both are less harsh IMO than the tarot, though the Faeries Oracle can still be a bit dark.

Baroli

Ok, this is just my opinion so don't get upset.

Relax. Look around you. Read the newspaper. Life sucks sometimes doesn't it.

Inflation, recession, missing airplanes, the whole gambit. Life in essence is filled with a lot of $hit. On the other hand, seeing people win the lottery, finding missing family members, enjoying life is what it is all about as well.

My point? Just like life, your readings are going to reflect the good and the bad of life, the good and the bad of the sitter's life, or your life if you happen to be the sitter. You can't have it one way,......it would be great if all we gave out is fluffy bunny readings and "they all lived happily ever after." Doesn't work that way,.....life isn't like that. But here's the good news. Even though you stopped reading, because of the death thing, you still came back and that's a good thing. I can't guarantee you will have nothing but beautiful sweet readings, I can only guarantee that you will have all sorts of readings and that you will learn from them and grow with them. As you grow, so will your readings and your understanding of what it is you do and what we all do.

And remember, you are just the messenger delivering a message and it doesn't always have to be gloom and doom either, anymore than it is fluffy bunnies.

Just my 2 cents.

Milamber

Baroli said:
Ok, this is just my opinion so don't get upset.

Relax. Look around you. Read the newspaper. Life sucks sometimes doesn't it.

Inflation, recession, missing airplanes, the whole gambit. Life in essence is filled with a lot of $hit. On the other hand, seeing people win the lottery, finding missing family members, enjoying life is what it is all about as well.

My point? Just like life, your readings are going to reflect the good and the bad of life, the good and the bad of the sitter's life, or your life if you happen to be the sitter. You can't have it one way,......it would be great if all we gave out is fluffy bunny readings and "they all lived happily ever after." Doesn't work that way,.....life isn't like that. But here's the good news. Even though you stopped reading, because of the death thing, you still came back and that's a good thing. I can't guarantee you will have nothing but beautiful sweet readings, I can only guarantee that you will have all sorts of readings and that you will learn from them and grow with them. As you grow, so will your readings and your understanding of what it is you do and what we all do.

And remember, you are just the messenger delivering a message and it doesn't always have to be gloom and doom either, anymore than it is fluffy bunnies.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. May I suggest Wheel of Fortune for a study card, puresoul? Wheel of Fortune tells us that many things are beyond our control--both to do, or to stop. But at the same time it shows us that in nearly every situation, there are positive and negative aspects that we can take advantage of.

In a personal example, I was laid off work—yesterday was my last day. Pretty crappy, eh? But wait—when I look at it, it was a pretty dull place to work, and not my chosen career; I only stuck with it because the pay was good, and my co-workers were all great people. Now the layoff means I am on employment insurance, which will help me pay for my education for what I really want to do. Meanwhile, I can enjoy the time off, and have some free time to study and get the rust off. The layoff—something almost never seen in a good light—was both a push in the right direction, and an opportunity to fund my way to university.

And I'd like to tell you, I know where you're coming from. I too drew Death on a spread about a friend, who died days later in an accident at work. Since then I've drawn it other times though, and it doesn't always represent such tragedy. I don't know that it was a positive event for me, but... he was such an amazing person to everyone, even those who wronged him, that I wonder if he was simply done here on Earth a little early, and off to something better now.

So I'd like to suggest pulling out the Wheel and studying or meditating on it a bit; do whatever works for you.

hunter

puresoul said:
I never knew about the RW deck until I bought my second deck (and most used!) My first was given to me and was the Russian Deck of St. Petersburg!
I have often thought of buying Oracle cards but have this bias feeling that they would not be helpful. Like all the cards read as a good statement so I would find no hard truth to them. Lately I Have been very off emotionally and find that they Tarot can be TOO harsh for me. So maybe I need them give a try. Any suggestions of a good deck Hunter?
Thanks and love

The Runic Tarot certainly has harshness, but is just entirely different. The major arcana is the runes. There are no courts. The pips are based on the seasons. Every card has astrological sun signs on it.

To see the cards click here. It will only load to 98%. When it has loaded to 98%, right click and then select "play" and you will see most of the cards.
http://www.astrop.org/elemental/runic.htm

Check out 12 of lughnasadh. It features a angry fish with teeth and is labeled "Extreme Craze". I got that as my main card on a crazy day and just laughed for a long time. It totally described that day and it comforted me.

You will see a few harsh cards, but most of the harshness is in the reversed meanings, not the pictures themselves.

Some oracles are easy to learn to use. This one takes some study. Would that be good for you right now? I'm studying runes and the star signs to really use this deck to it's fullest.

This deck seems as deep as the RWS, just different. The runes part is more ancient and written by a people with a different belief system. I don't know if just different will do the trick for you or if you need a certain type of different.

I'm not an expert on the different oracles, but I'm sure there are many that are not based on psychology or on happy times. That have a system as strong and broad as a RWS type system.

I would ask in the oracle deck and divination forums. Don't rule out non card based divination systems right now. Holding 3 dimensional oracles is soothing. I like to carry runes in my pocket. Many of them have ancient magical uses and rubbing the engraving is calming. I just have a cheap plastic set, but they work and are light.