Cats and Tarot

Taamar

I know there are a ton of cat tarots out there, a bunch of us love the BBC deck, and there seems to be ahigh percentage of readers with cats... what's up with that? All I have to do is get a deck out and start shuffling and my feline overlord wants to be on me (unless it's the BBC, then he won't come out of hiding. It's like he's afraid I'll get ideas). He's sitting on the chair next to my deck right now giving me The Look.

Why are readers drawn to cats? Why are cats drawn to Tarot?

motsa

I'd put most of it down to typical cat personalities and behaviour. When you're using the tarot, your attention is somewhere other than on the cat.(The Cat Rule Book dictates that a cat must lie on or play with anything that you are trying to read or work with, to ensure that your attention is on them.) Shuffling cards also make an intriguing sound and the cards move, both things sure to entice some cats to play. Many cats also have a fascination for paper products.

VenetianMask

I agree with you,motsa. My cats always seek my attention when I'm typin something on computer or when I'm shuffling and laying cards. The same gos for books, not to mention mobile phones or ... lunch ;)

lizziecat

For some reason Tarot and Cats seem to go together like bread and butter :)
I just have to keep the cards hidden away from prying cats because the cards looks suspiciously like "cat toys" - especially when in a big spread.

I have to be extra careful with the cards when my female Siamese Isis is around because she just loves tearing up paper.

Luinbariel

My cat is also super attentive and must be present when I have my deck out and am doing a reading.

I don't really know why, thoughts I've thrown around include:

They are drawn to the energy (I've noticed she is drawn to me when I meditate/cleanse)

They like to see what you're doing

nisaba

Cats are magical creatures. They're also vicious, cold-blooded killers with style. They have softer coats and sweeter breath than dogs, and feel wonderful when they curl up in your lap (after the sadistic kneading ends, they just can't help themselves). This is all designed to hypnotise you into ignoring the vicious, cold-blooded killer within.

Cats rule the universe. Ever read the book "The Truth about cats"? Do yourself a favour - get it. It may be in the children's section, although it is deeply philosophical and designed for adults. For some reason, the moment you write a book by drawing pics everywhere, everyone seems to think it's for kids. And forget the spin-off movie "The Truth about Cats and Dogs" - that was just a mistake from beginning to end.

Cats rule the universe. Scientists have showed that a bored cat, a cat with nothing to occupy its time, will sleep twenty hours a day. Not all of that is needed sleep - my cats all tended to sleep less than I did, and hardly ever napped when I was awake because they danced attendance on me.

Sleeping twenty hours a day give you a lot - and I mean a *lot* - of time on the astral plane. It brings you closer to Godhood. you know that look of boredom that cats give to much of human activity? that look says "silly bipeds - one day you'll learn." You know that look they give you when you're meditating, or processing food, or reading Tarot, or dancing in trance? that look says "Now you've got it, we always knew you could!"

But of course, cats play with (and destroy) paper products - it's because paper is impossible to find in the wild. And as to Tarot cards - there might be interesting living things hiding under them that need torturing to death. And they're made of paper, so they have to be eradicated and returned to the earth as compost. And they deflect the servants' attentions from them. And ... and ... and ...

beachcomb

well i blame my cat liking my tarot cards on the fact that i wrap them in ribbon which he loves to play with when i'm playing with my cards.

VenetianMask

Hey Nisaba,

You made a wonderful point. Not only cats are vicious, cold-blooded killers. But there's no doubt they love hunting. On the other hand, they need to eat and, even though I've got a lot of respect for animals, I wouldn't expect them to ever develop any empathy for their preys, especially the ones they like to play with sometimes before they kill them...Still, they are amazing creatures that perfectly understand the meaning of peace of mind, they don't spend their energy on unneccesary things. They don't get angry easily (at least my cats don't). And sleeping with cats is the best way of sleeping anyone can get. (Except maybe sleeping next to the love of your life :)) I need to try to do some meditation when my cats are around, I'd love to see "the look" you're talking about here.

Love&Light,

VenetianMask

karenquilter

I have two of the killers. They love the stalk, the sudden run and pounce, the play when they toss their prey into the air, the wonderful crunch in their jaws. Their blood sings to them in the thrill of the hunt. How can you call them cold-blooded?

The hunt I understand. The attraction to paper leaves me puzzled. Every cat I've had has loved to walk on, sit on, lie on, & tear to bits any piece of paper around. Grocery bags (with or without groceries), newspapers, posters, paperbacks, & yes, tarot decks. I throw the little darlings out when I get out my decks.
K

ofbainbridge

Though humans have forgotten Cats were once worshipped as Gods they remember...
Paper, books, puzzles, your keyboard; your attention to these things distract from your worship of Them of The Fur, Tail & Claw....

Cat Haiku
Original Author: Unknown

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.

I need a new toy.
Tail of black dog keeps good time.
Pounce! Good dog! Good dog!

The rule for today:
Touch my tail, I shred your hand.
New rule tomorrow.

In deep sleep hear sound;