How to know if it's real?

AmethystEyes

I have a ring with an amethyst in it. But I'm not sure if it's real because it's on the big side. It was given to me.
Is there a way to know the difference? Other than getting it checked out of course.

MCsea

can you post a pic?

Amethyst rings can be very big..

MARINA

willowfox

See if you can see any flaws in the stone when you hold it up to the light as amethyst is a quartz and are likely to have some flaw or other, like the facets not being exactly equal for instance due to rough cutting.

canid

Maybe you're thinking that authentic amethyst is really expensive; it's not. It's actually a dime a dozen, however, since it's a softer gem, it's more difficult to facet. Its worth is in other areas.

AmethystEyes

Hmm that I can't really tell if it has any flaws, its a dark color.
I can''t put a pic because my camera is....being strange *sigh* never have luck with technology, always seems to break around me. :\

WinterRose

You can always take it to a jewellers. They'll be able to tell you (for free, if it's a reputable company) if it's real.

Briar Rose

Not all Amethyst is a dime a dozen. Take true African Amethyst for instance. It's a very deep, dark purple and clear, and can run up to some higher prices compared to most Amethyst.