PDA

View Full Version : How to know if it's real?

DevilishAngel
15-06-2009, 03:59
I have a ring with an amethyst in it. But I'm not sure if it's real because it's on the big side. It was given to me.
Is there a way to know the difference? Other than getting it checked out of course.

MCsea
15-06-2009, 19:04
can you post a pic?

Amethyst rings can be very big..

MARINA

willowfox
16-06-2009, 03:00
See if you can see any flaws in the stone when you hold it up to the light as amethyst is a quartz and are likely to have some flaw or other, like the facets not being exactly equal for instance due to rough cutting.

canid
16-06-2009, 05:47
Maybe you're thinking that authentic amethyst is really expensive; it's not. It's actually a dime a dozen, however, since it's a softer gem, it's more difficult to facet. Its worth is in other areas.

DevilishAngel
16-06-2009, 15:46
Hmm that I can't really tell if it has any flaws, its a dark color.
I can''t put a pic because my camera is....being strange *sigh* never have luck with technology, always seems to break around me. :\

WinterRose
16-06-2009, 18:39
You can always take it to a jewellers. They'll be able to tell you (for free, if it's a reputable company) if it's real.

Briar Rose
20-06-2009, 14:47
Not all Amethyst is a dime a dozen. Take true African Amethyst for instance. It's a very deep, dark purple and clear, and can run up to some higher prices compared to most Amethyst.