anyone purchased the ATA correspondance courses?

cera

Hello!

I'm seriously considering purchasing the correspondance course materials through ATA, but before I fork out the cash I wanted to see from anyone on here if they have done it and if they found it valuable/helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Basic Elements

What is ATA?

Onyx

One thing to keep in mind is that it isn't necessarily correspondence, nor is it really a course.

It is a set of developmental books that will walk a beginner through the steps to gain understanding of the tarot. They are most helpful if you use them with a mentor or a study group. The ATA does have a free mentoring program and when I last checked they had plenty of spots for new students.

It is helpful but basic.

I think the best bang for your ATA dollar is the free reading networks were you can perform actual readings for actual people. You also get a mentor who will work with you as well.

just my humble opinion,

Onyx.

cera

thank you for the insight! I'm home for the summer, and wanted to get some direction and support in learning my cards. In looking over the sight, it looks like the mentoring program may be an excellent start.

Mama Lion

Hello Cera,
Have you heard of the Tarot School? They have a wealth of information,( and a correspondence course) I immersed myself in it, kept a journal, it's pretty much self pace. I felt it was extremely beneficial.
http://www.tarotschool.com/

Mama Lion

Myrrha

Onyx said:
The ATA does have a free mentoring program and when I last checked they had plenty of spots for new students.

It is helpful but basic.

I think the best bang for your ATA dollar is the free reading networks were you can perform actual readings for actual people. You also get a mentor who will work with you as well.

just my humble opinion,

Onyx.

Onyx, If a person is being mentored by someone from ATA, or doing readings on their free readings network and also being mentored, do they have to use the traditional tarot meanings? I sometimes look at the cards and other meanings are suggested by the picture and how it relates the the pictures on other cards. Also, sometimes the traditional meanings of the cards don't fit the situation and some kind of expansion of the meaning suggests itself. I'm just wondering how this would work in the context of the free readings and mentorship.

Onyx

Myrrha said:
Onyx, If a person is being mentored by someone from ATA, or doing readings on their free readings network and also being mentored, do they have to use the traditional tarot meanings? I sometimes look at the cards and other meanings are suggested by the picture and how it relates the the pictures on other cards. Also, sometimes the traditional meanings of the cards don't fit the situation and some kind of expansion of the meaning suggests itself. I'm just wondering how this would work in the context of the free readings and mentorship.

Not necessarily. The mentorship on the Free Tarot Network tends to focus on the ability to structure and provide an e-mail reading. If unfamiliar with the concept and practice it can take a bit of getting used to doing them. Each mentor will have their own style but they all seem to be very supportive of their students finding their own way of doing it as well. The whole purpose of the network is to be a place where we can learn to read, not to give free readings to the public per se.

I have worked on the networks and so that is my experience. As for the ATA Mentoring proper it is a bit different and actually a different feature of ATA membership. Some mentor are mentor on the Free Tarot Network but not necessarily.

As I am unfamilar with this process I would direct you to Errol McLendon the Vice President of Education for more details. His e-mail is vpeducation@ata-tarot.com.

Onyx.

Myrrha

OK, thank you for the information Onyx!