Tarot Myths please

souljourney

One of our next topics at our Tarot Meetup is "Tarot Myths". For example, you have to cut the deck only with your left hand. I'm sure most of us don't do that.
Anyway I'd love to know what myths you've heard and, if you know, why does that myth exist.

Thanks a bunch. Our meeting is tomorrow night so I'll be sure to check in several time before that.

Grizabella

If you use the search feature for this forum, which you can find in the drop-down menu at the upper right corner of the forum, you'll find at least one huge thread about tarot myths. Use the Advanced Search and you can type in "Ethics" and choose "thread titles only" and then on the other side type in "Grizabella" after choosing "posted by user". That should bring up the big, long thread about ethics. I'll see if I can find the link for you and post it here, but in the future, don't forget the search feature and especially the advanced search because it will be very valuable to you. :)

Taamar

how about 'You can't buy your first deck'? We've talked about that piece of BS and how it leads some idiots to steal decks so they aren't buying. i suspect it came from the belief that coming from a 'magickal family' gave one an edge, that people who inherited a deck from Grandma were somehow more 'real' than those of us who picked one up at Barnes and Noble.

cormac

how about the old chestnut that the Tarot was created in ancient Egypt? :)

SunChariot

I was told starting out that you could only have one deck as a reader. And that if you had more it would dillute your power and you would never be able to be a good reader. It was told that by the only other reader I knew in my life when I was starting out and right after I had ordered two decks that were on their way to me.

When they both came I kept the Haindl Tarot and gave away the Celtic Wisdom Tarot. I did not know it was a myth I believed it. Then I found AT and bought about 70 more decks (so far!) including a new copy of the Celtic Wisdom Tarot.

Babs

Le Fanu

SunChariot said:
I was told starting out that you could only have one deck as a reader. And that if you had more it would dillute your power and you would never be able to be a good reader.

Oh that's hilarious. I must be such shoddy reader. My powers have been diluted 200-and-something-times over

sapienza

Very funny. I think a lot of people here would be in trouble if that were true :)

alpha_beta_angel

I heard one a few days ago:
You must sleep with a new deck under your pillow for 3 weeks before you can read from it, the bed must be of clean white sheets cleansed with herbs and nothing other than sleeping must be performed in that area during this time...

Lilija

alpha_beta_angel said:
I heard one a few days ago:
You must sleep with a new deck under your pillow for 3 weeks before you can read from it, the bed must be of clean white sheets cleansed with herbs and nothing other than sleeping must be performed in that area during this time...

Uh oh, I'm a failure. Does my sheep print flannel sheets confuse the deck? Let's not even get into the stuff that happens ON those sheep sheets, besides sleeping. I may as well retire my cards.