Rough or Tumbled? Which do you prefer

pouter

I was just having this conversation and wondered which is the most prefered choice of crystal please? polished or in it's rough state.

I was worried about rough crystals when I read about the properties of Tigers Eye.

I am not going to be working with rough Tiger's Eye anymore.

Thank you

morticia monroe

I have both. In my humble opinion, some stones are at their most lovely when rough,,aragonite, quartz crystals, azurite, turquoise, smoky quartz, fluorite and calcite, to name a few. Others are at their prettiest when tumbled or at least polished.

I'm curious to know what it is you've read about tiger eye?

afrosaxon

I, too, have both, and I like both forms.

I keep more tumbled ones in my pocket, purse, etc. But I have a rough geode keychain that morticia monroe sent me, and it has a nice energy. :D I also keep chunks of rough celestite and crystal quartz (mm, you sent me these too!) by my bed. I have rough chunks of citrine and a Herkimer diamond.

There really isn't a more powerful form, IMHO, although one could argue that the rough form is more elemental since it hasn't yet been processed. But with crystals, the power is still within the stone whether it's tumbled or not.

Just my $.02. I'm sorry you had a such a negative run-in with tiger's eye; that's one of my favorite stones.

T.

Le Fanu

I prefer tumbled so I know I can keep them with my decks in a bag and not scratch any of the cards...

pouter

"Tiger's Eye and Hawk's Eye occur in cracks of rock that once have been filled by asbestos fibers."

I have found that even with short term use it makes me feel dizzy,it is as if someone is tuging me to one side.Aesthetically it's pretty with it's shimmery golden stripes that glimmer in the sunlight.
I like both, but will be switching to polished crystals as, it has freaked me out about the asbestos in Tiger Eye. I went on to scare myself further reading Malachite is toxic to animals. I want to heal myself not intoxicate myself;(

minrice

That is a shame, I too have always loved Tiger's Eye! It does look best I think when polished, same with Lapis Lazuli and moonstone.
I think some stones/crystals are at their best when they are rough. For me rough unpolished amythyst, quartz, and calcite are so pretty. Diamonds too, I would LOVE to have a large, unpolished and uncut diamond to wear around my neck but wouldn't we all...;-)

MsRubyRain

I like both. For stones to carry around or place with decks I look for tumbled. I have some rough crystals that I display.

Angie9

In the past I have used mostly rough natural stones but lately I find myself switching to polished stones (in bead form) that I can wear. I suppose my age is making me forget to take things out of my pockets.

Simsy

I work with both

i work with both rough and tumbled crystals

I have a small and medium sized amethyst geodes which I use to clear my crystals. Having said that i have a lot of tumbled crystals as well..

I use either or as and when i can afford to buy some i am due to go back to the crystal shop to get some crystal hearts acutally cos i find them soo sweet :)

Simsy

pouter

I dont think its age I am always misplacing crystals. Seem to spend more time hunting for them in my house than using them.
I have purchased a few more specimens, some rough some polished as, the lady is on holiday for 2 weeks I wanted to turn up early to see what she has in stock before everything dissapeared. They keep multiplying one turns into several.

I have also, found myself drawn to sparkly make up at the moment too. I think it must be the crystals influence.

Good luck with the move minrice. Thank you for your replies! Always happy to make new rock friends.