PDA

View Full Version : Progressed Sun

sunshine1988
28-06-2009, 10:39
What is a progressed sun and how do I find mine?

firecatpickles
28-06-2009, 11:09
http://www.valkyrieastrology.com/Makeover/progressedcharts.html

http://www.astro.com/cgi/genchart.cgi

Look at the drop down menu item "Progressions."

sunshine1988
28-06-2009, 11:55
thank you!! my normal moon is sagitarrius and normal mars is pices but my birthday is today and it says my progressed moon is virgo and mars is aries today..so am I reflecting those influences as determined by my progressed chart?

MCsea
28-06-2009, 12:07
sunshine1988 HAPPY SOLAR RETURN!!

Minderwiz
28-06-2009, 18:44
Sunshine, Happy 21st!!!!

Secondary progressions are based on the idea of 'a day for a year'. So to see what will go on in the second year of your life you take the chart for the second day of your life, for 3rd year the third day of your life, etc. This means that for the 22nd year of your life (starts on your 21st birthday) you will take the chart for the 22nd day after your date of birth. The chart shows the influences for the whole year, not just one particular day.

For very rough and ready calculations, simply move your Sun one degree forward from its natal position for every year of your life. So in your case that's approximately 21 degrees, which will put it around the end of Cancer, I'd guess at 28 degrees. In a couple of years it will progress into Leo.

For Mercury and Venus the situation is a little more complicated, although they move at just under a degree a day, there's always the issue of when they turn retrograde (or direct if they are retrograde in your natal chart).

Mars takes approximately 2 days to move one degree, so it will be 10 degrees or so further on. Though again retrograde cycles mean that this guess may well be out.

Jupiter moves at approximately a sign per year, or a degree every 12 days, so in your progressed chart it's probably no more than a couple of degrees from it's natal position and may be less if it's slowing down for it's station. Saturn is nearly three times slower still.

Most use of progressed charts though concentrates on the Moon, as she is the only planet to move significantly during a day. There''s no problem with retrograde cycles but the Moon does appear to slow down and speed up during it's circle of the zodiac. At 21 you will have a progressed Moon that's about 3/4 of the way round from it's natal position.

So your Virgo progressed Moon and Aries progressed Mars will add a colour tone to this year (and Your progressed Aries Mars is likely to remain in the sign for about 60 years).

sunshine1988
29-06-2009, 04:36
Very interesting. thanks for the birthday wishes. So the progressed doesnt necessarily take away your natal signs, it just adds its influences on to it? and im kind of excited to have an aries mars for the majority of my life and a leo sun..so im sure with those placements maintaining their presence for an extended amount of time I will learn to work with them more in depth than the fluctuating moon and mercury. I would hate to lose my sag moon though..its in conjunct to my saturn and uranus.

Minderwiz
29-06-2009, 07:02
Progressed charts never replace your natal chart and there are plenty of Astrologers who don't use them. The most frequent use is to compare the progressed and natal chart, you would be particularly looking for aspects between your progressed Moon (and possibly progressed planets through to Mars and even Saturn if it's in applying aspects in your natal chart) and natal planets. such aspects are often seen as 'triggers' of your natal energies.