this happen to anyone? part 2

ladyofhearts

ok, has this happened to anyone else...sometimes when i pick the deck up, it feels kind of, "heavy." like weighing heavily in my hands. and, when this happens the cards don't seem to want to shuffle, at all. but, they do, "loosen," up after a while and then start to shuffle very easily. i am saying this because someone posted something about cards being, "sticky." i have also had that happen to me. sometimes when i pick up the deck to read, it doesn't have that, "lead-weight," kind of feeling to it. and the cards shuffle as easy as can be. to me when they are feeling, "heavy,"when i take them out of the box, i was thinking that they really don't want to be read..lol. don't know. what do you think of all of this??

Grizabella

For me, the cards are ink and paper and I don't think they have anything spooky or eerie going on with them. When I was new, I thought they had some sort of energy of their own that would cause weird things to happen with them, but as I got more used to them and studied more, I stopped feeling like that. I got used to them and learned that they're just a tool for me, not something with any energy or life of their own. The magic is with me, not with the cards.

nisaba

I get cards feeling sticky or heavy or reluctant or enthusiastic, but I'm also in Griz's court: I believe that is a manifestation of my own subconscious and intuitive knowing in the given moment. It *feels* as though it's from the cards, but it's from the deepest part of you, the part of your subconscious that connects to the collective unconscious. I have talked about it before as being from the cards sand I will again, because that is my conscious experience of it. But what the hey, cards are merely paper and ink, as we've said so many times. They are a tool, a tool that gets us to dig something out of ourselves that in many cases we can't dig out without the tools.

I'm always a bit amused when people talk about one deck or another reading better, too (even though I've said things like that, too). I read a post an hour or so ago from someone who was given the Deviant Moon and didn't really like the deck, but because it was a gift they used it and were surprised how good it was. I don't necessarily believe it was a better deck than they thought - I think their own ability to read with any and every deck was better then they gave themselves credit for. In other words, it was their own skill that surprised them. I remember feeling a little surprised when I was using this one, and it was manifestly not the cardboard doing the reading, but the contents of my own mind.

SunChariot

Cards can't want or not want anything. They have not feelings, nor are they able to think. They are, as they say, just printed cardboard. They are wondrous tool that lets us do amazing things. But they are just that a tool.

Any feelings are, as is said above coming from your subconsious, perhaps it does not really want to know the answer. OR from the higher powers sending you your answers, maybe you are asking something you are not meant to know. As for the real reason though, you are the only one who can sense that inside yourself. OR a good idea might be to put them away when the happens and try another day and ask your cards: "What does it mean when I pick up my deck of cards and it feels heavy and is more difficult to shuffle?" The easiest way to find why this is happening for you is to ask the cards.

That is my take on it,

Babs

Hannafate

It sounds like the flow of your own energy, since it "loosens up" as you get into it.

It's like that when I am working on a drawing. Sometimes the ink just flows, other times I feel like I am *squeeeezing* the image onto the paper.

Sar

How can we so easily say no to the thought of decks having magic of their own?

They are after all manifestations of someones creative energy and life force.

SunChariot

My personal view on it is that the deck itself that we hold in our hands is not the manifestation of the artist's life force or creative energy. The images are themselves are, but not each individual deck none of which have come in contact with the artist in any way. He/she has nto seen or touched them.

Which boils down to meaning that the images themselves are capable of helping us release our inner magic. They are tools to do so. But the cards themselves are just pieces of cardboard with the images printed on them.

And the cards have no magic of their own to me. They can't do anything without us. The images can only work as a tool, a very effective one, to release our inner magic.

That's my view of it anyway,

Babs

214red

Grizabella said:
For me, the cards are ink and paper and I don't think they have anything spooky or eerie going on with them. When I was new, I thought they had some sort of energy of their own that would cause weird things to happen with them, but as I got more used to them and studied more, I stopped feeling like that. I got used to them and learned that they're just a tool for me, not something with any energy or life of their own. The magic is with me, not with the cards.
i agree, you likely find its your energy, or the cards need to be shuffled to pick up your energy.

some times i pick a deck up and they are light and nice, sometimes heavy, and thats usually because its absorbed other energy or my energy is flagging. i shuffle until they feel lighter and carry on reading