some Summer Reading

Minderwiz

There's a few new books coming out over the next month or so. As I'm probably going to be spending quite a bit on them, I'll give you some reports;

I've already commented on Barbara Dunn's new book so I'll start this thread by mentioning Nicholas Campion's 'History of Western Astrology Vol 2.'

Volume 1 covered the period from the dawn of civilisations through to the late Hellenistic and Roman periods. Volume 2 moves the story from the early medieval period through to modern times. Campion concentrates on some of the key issues, the reintroduction of Astrology into Western Europe and it's accomodation with the Catholic Church. He looks at the Renaissance and the change in ideas running from Ficino through Copernicus, Kepler and Newton which did much to undermine Astrology. Oddly most of these appeared to wish to achieve a restoration of Astrology, shorn of its judicial side but eventually their ideas led to a partial collapse of Astrology because it never produced its own Newton.

He goes on to examine the re-emergence of Astrology in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries.

I've not finished it yet but it certainly is well worth reading as he shows that change was not as clear cut as we imagine and provides a fascinating insight into the attempts to provide a philosophical basis for Astrology in modern times.

Campion is a skilled academic as well as a skilled Astrologer and his book is far better sourced and written than Dunn's. It may not help you to be a better Astrologer but it will certainly help you deal with the question as to why Astrology survives and is achieving some academic credibility again.