When feedback is just a 'thanks'

AmethystEyes

How do you interpret this? That they don't want to offend you that it's wrong? How do you feel when you just get a thanks?

Grizabella

When feedback is just a "thanks", if you mean in the Exchange forum, then it's a sign to me that the other person might just be grabbing a free reading or else that they didn't bother to read the rules of the forum.

If you mean when you read for them in the real world, then it's nothing out of the ordinary. Unless you're practicing and you specifically tell the person you'll give them a reading if they'll give you feedback, they don't owe you any feedback. We don't expect feedback from real world readings as a rule. When you read for someone, it's entirely up to them whether they give you anything back or not, unless you've asked for it ahead of time.

rwcarter

Oh, there are many ways I could interpret that, but I have to be nice....

If it's a reading that was done as part of an exchange or as you providing alternate interpretations to someone else's reading here on Aeclectic, you can point the person to the Thinking Points for Giving Feedback.

Assuming it's a non face-to-face reading done off-forum, you can reply back to the person to let them know that you put a lot of time and effort into the reading and you would appreciate more feedback than just "Thanks" because constructive feedback (whether positive or negative) helps you continue to grow as a reader.

If the person still doesn't provide you with more in-depth feedback, then you should make a note to yourself to never read for that person again.

Rodney

AmethystEyes

Yeah that's what I meant. I've been practicing a few places and all I ask for is feedback to see how I'm doing and I don't know what to think when they just say thanks.

rwcarter

If it's a face-to-face reading and you've told the person up-front that you will do the reading for feedback (as opposed to being paid for the reading) and all they say is "thanks" then there are a few possibilities for what that response means:
  • you royally screwed up the reading and they don't want to tell you })
  • the sitter is still absorbing what you've told them and therefore don't have the right words to say at that moment
  • they want to provide feedback, but don't know where to begin

Since you still have them face-to-face, you can remind them that you did the reading for feedback and that "thanks" isn't sufficient. You should also provide them with a crib sheet before the reading of the kinds of feedback you'd like to get from them. (Again look at the Thinking Points to determine what you want from the sitter.)

And in the case where they just don't have the words yet, give them a crib sheet and tell them to think about it and get back to you.

The above is only relevant for readings you're doing for feedback and not for money. If you're being paid for the reading, you have to be content to have given the reading and if you get feedback, that's icing on the cake.

Rodney

AmethystEyes

Hmm that crib sheet is a good idea. I'll keep that in mind.

nisaba

DevilishAngel said:
How do you interpret this? That they don't want to offend you that it's wrong? How do you feel when you just get a thanks?
I would be pleased. A "thank you" is a little parcel of gratitude and good energy, bundled up and gifted just to you.

Aerin

I think that you also have to recognise that some people need processing time. That happens to me a lot, and I have to figure out some stuff before I can respond properly. That might be overnight or a few days depending on what I need to think about.

I do some unpaid online readings and sometimes the feedback can take months, sometimes it doesn't come, sometimes it comes straight away. You can't force people to feed back: sometimes it may also be too much for someone if the reading has hit something deep.

'Thank you' means just that. Anything else is mind reading. There's no harm in asking for more..... and some people may need time to think it over.

Aerin

Sulis

nisaba said:
I would be pleased. A "thank you" is a little parcel of gratitude and good energy, bundled up and gifted just to you.

A 'thank you' is fine in the real world when you're reading for real sitters but here on Aeclectic we expect more than just a 'thank you' because this forum is a place that's dedicated to learning and to give feedback helps both the reader and the person being read for learn about the cards.

Feedback is very important here and as Grizabella has said, feedback that just says 'thanks' shows that the person you're reading for may not be that interested in actually learning about tarot and reading and is just out for what they can get (a 'free' reading).

You have to beware, there are takers here but it quickly becomes apparent who they are and you can refuse to read for someone if you think they will not provide feedback..
I'd advise looking at a prospective querant's posting history before you say that you'll read for them.

214red

i think if your not charging for the reading you should expect feedback, not just a thanks. Perhaps you need to outline that you require feedback before the you do the reading, and what type of feedback you require.

Nik