Different types of tarot card boxes

Soothsayer

My LS China Tarot deck has the best card box out of all my decks. It's hard to explain, but it is one of those boxes that cannot be opened from the bottom; the cards can only be retrieved from the normal flap opening at the top. I wish all decks came in boxes of this type; the other, more widespread type of box, is OK but sometimes the cards and the LWB get caught on the internal flap when they are inserted into the box. I hope that makes sense. It's not a major issue; just something to think about. In fact, for those of you who don't keep your decks in the box, it won't be an issue at all.

spm

I agree! I got a RW deck last Saturday and it came in a box of your second type. Every single time I returned the deck into the box, either the top card or the LWB was 'blocked' by the flap on the bottom of the box.

Soothsayer

It's one of my tarot pet hates. :)

rwcarter

Soothsayer,

The type of box you're referring to is standard with Lo Scarabeo decks. I don't know the technical term for it, but it's a tuck top/closed bottom box. It is my favorite style of box for the simple fact that it doesn't obstruct either the cards or the LWB going back into the box. It's also one less flap to have to worry about disintegrating.... I wish other publishers would standardize on this style of box.

Rodney

Kanon

Yes, like rwcarter said, that box is Lo Scarabeo standard box. I do agree this kind of box is the best for deck :heart:.

Soothsayer

I didn't know this kind of box was LS's standard box. (The China Tarot is the only LS deck I own at the moment). It's a great design and attention to detail like this is something that LS should be applauded on. Other publishers take note! (Unless LS have exclusive rights on this design of box, but I wouldn't have thought so).

le fey

I agree on the LS boxes - much kinder to the cards. But my fav. box is the one the Golden comes in - upright with a lift off lid, and room for cards and booklet. If I could get boxes like that for all my decks, my shelves would look so much neater than they do.

Soothsayer

le fey, I agree. The Universal Waite Pocket Tarot deck also comes in the same, sturdy box as the Golden. Very strong box indeed and great for display purposes. But I suspect it would be too expensive to have every Tarot deck housed in such a box; the LS-style box would not incur any extra cost to the publisher (just a re-design) and is much kinder to the cards.

psyphy

Same dislikes here, those flimsy, el-cheapo second type of boxes, YUK :mad:
I rather like that sort of box that my Soul Cards came in, a sturdy laminated container, box and lid separate, built to protect and to last.

nisaba

The boxes I like are the cigar-style ones where you have two fitted rectangular pieces that slide over each other, such as with the Quantum or the Whispering. The ones with fold-openings and little tongues on either side get torn with use and time, n o matter how careful you are.

The best I've ever, ever seen was the box that came with Major Tom's Marseilles deck. A stunning box, even if you don't like yellow (even if you hate yellow), even if you don't like the deck in it (even if you hate the deck in it). Honestly, it is worth buying for the box alone, and I don't hate the deck in it, for what it's worth.

This fabulous construction is sturdy, reinforced, has a hinged lid that opens with the same motion as a book-cover, has red ribbon trim so you don't have to insert your fingers to open it, and best of all, has MAGNETS inside the lining of the box and the lid so that it securely fastens itself shut! It's a fabulous box! I love it!

Look ... really ... buy this one, if not for the cards, then for the box. And the humour in the cards will probably draw you in over time, too.