Encapsulation {laminating front & back} of the Druid Craft Tarot?

BeyondtheVeil

I just bought the Druid Craft Tarot tonight and was surprised to notice how very thin the cards are. They will definitely become very flimsy with use, so I am wondering if anyone has had them laminated or encapsulated? {both sides laminated}. I am thinking of finding a local commerical professional to trim them and encapsulate them for me. Has anyone else had this done? Does it help or make the cards harder to shuffle? Will it ruin the deck?

Any ideas on a company/person I should use?

Thanks so much for any help or advice!
BeyondtheVeil

Manda

Years of frequent use have not left my cards in bad shape at all, rather just comfortable. I can shuffle them even with small hands at their normal size, because of the extreme flexibility of the cards.

I don't have anything useful to add, though, beyond that comment. I don't know much about laminate.

BeyondtheVeil

Manda said:
Years of frequent use have not left my cards in bad shape at all, rather just comfortable. I can shuffle them even with small hands at their normal size, because of the extreme flexibility of the cards.

I don't have anything useful to add, though, beyond that comment. I don't know much about laminate.

So you have the Druid Craft Tarot deck that you use frequently? I would be using them maybe for a lot of readings. These are going to be my 'learning" cards with some reading circles and maybe some reading exchanges. I really shuffle like with playing cards, so I am terrified that I will ruin them. If you use them a lot and shuffle like that.. then maybe I don't have anything to worry about? I use reversals with the other deck, so can they handle the shuffling required for that? I am rough and not really gentle shuffling like I do when not using reversals. {I hope that made sense}. lol

Thanks so much for your response! :)

Sulis

I think if you trim it and laminate it you'll end up with a really, really thick and hard to manage deck. Just try trimming them - they don't seem so thin then.

Up to you of course, but I think you'll ruin them if you laminate them and trim them. You'll end up with a deck that's a bit like a brick.

I've had my cards since they were first released; I trimmed them straight away because I couldn't cope with the over-large cards. My cards have been used A LOT and they are fine, just nice and worn in.

Wendywu

What Sulis said. My Druidcraft has had some heavy use and is fine. I don't ever riffle shuffle though so don't know what effect that would have on the cards. Trimming them right down (even chopped off the titles) took them down to a lovely size and the deck doesn't seem thin to me.

If you're gonna trim right down and it's your learning deck, be sure you know which is which first :)

BeyondtheVeil

Sulis said:
I think if you trim it and laminate it you'll end up with a really, really thick and hard to manage deck. Just try trimming them - they don't seem so thin then.

Up to you of course, but I think you'll ruin them if you laminate them and trim them. You'll end up with a deck that's a bit like a brick.

I've had my cards since they were first released; I trimmed them straight away because I couldn't cope with the over-large cards. My cards have been used A LOT and they are fine, just nice and worn in.

I definitely don't want to ruin them! They are so thin though. I worry that they will get ruined They definitely are large! lol I had a hard time last night shuffling the deck. I was like a toddler trying to hold onto some cards. It was kinda funny! :) I will definitely get them trimmed... I just don't think I will like using them often if I don't.

Thanks for your help!
BeyondtheVeil

BeyondtheVeil

Wendywu said:
What Sulis said. My Druidcraft has had some heavy use and is fine. I don't ever riffle shuffle though so don't know what effect that would have on the cards. Trimming them right down (even chopped off the titles) took them down to a lovely size and the deck doesn't seem thin to me.

If you're gonna trim right down and it's your learning deck, be sure you know which is which first :)

That is good to know! I intend to use this deck A LOT, so I really need it to hold up.
That would be funny to cut off the titles then look at them thinking.. Now which card was this?! LOL

Thanks for your help too Wendywu! :) I already love this deck! I just need to make it easier for me to use.

Ambrosia

I agree that trimming makes them seem a lot less flimsy, and I also agree that laminating would make the deck twice as thick and unmanageable but that is just my opinion. Just treat them with care and respect is all.
I have had my Druidcraft deck for several years now and they are still wonderful apart from a slight wearing of the colour on the backs. However, I have grown to really love the worn-in beauty of them.
Not that they weren't beautiful to begin with of course.
Enjoy your deck.

BeyondtheVeil

Ambrosia said:
I agree that trimming makes them seem a lot less flimsy, and I also agree that laminating would make the deck twice as thick and unmanageable but that is just my opinion. Just treat them with care and respect is all.
I have had my Druidcraft deck for several years now and they are still wonderful apart from a slight wearing of the colour on the backs. However, I have grown to really love the worn-in beauty of them.
Not that they weren't beautiful to begin with of course.
Enjoy your deck.

Thank you Ambrosia! :)