Slice, dice, trim and rounding corners!

HearthCricket

I finally caught the "Attack Your Deck" fever! I bought a corner rounder for my Vampire Tarot and was pleased with the results. Now I have rounded the corners of my Fairy Pack deck with a much smaller rounder and am very excited! I know I want to attack my Druidcraft at some point and am looking for advice on all trimming. Rounding is easy as pie. Trimming, I think, is harder. Does everyone use scissors or has anyone tried paper cutters, like those big ones you can line up the card on and bring down the arm? I could not find such info in the trimming index. We have lots of crafting and art supplies stores nearby, so I have several choices. I need brand names and advice. I have seen the lovely photos of other peoples decks and know I want to cut off the white borders of the Druidcraft and round the edges, but leave the titles on. The idea of using scissors is freaking me out!

Also, has anyone rounded their Noblet? I have 2 copies and am ever so tempted to round one off.

MysticalMoose

I'm of the scissors gang :D a mid length pair but make sure they're as sharp as they can be:) I think I'd be scared stiff to try a guillotine cutter-wotsit :bugeyed: I love my DruidCraft trimmed the scenes just merge into each other beautifully :)

HearthCricket

Did you just make sure you made one swift cut, or did you get bumpy along the edges? My Druidcraft is begging to be chopped! There are other cutters, too, that you line the item up on and slide the razor blade across for a clean and even cut. I just want my deck to line up nicely and not be all bumps and uneven. I'm picky!

Debra

I use a big sewing scissors. Cut the shortest sides first (cutting the shorter sides first makes the longer ones shorter LOL). Using a paper cutter would make it more a chore and less an act of "handicrafting," for me. I like holding the card in my hand and looking at it when I cut.

Hearthcricket, why not try with a deck of playing cards first?

(You are doomed, by the way...it's addictive...that's my prediction and I'm stickin' with it!)

Soothsayer

HearthCricket said:
Also, has anyone rounded their Noblet? I have 2 copies and am ever so tempted to round one off.

Roxanne Flornoy told me they initially wanted to round the corners on the Noblet, but the printer couldn't do it because the card stock was too thick. So they had to leave it. If I had two decks, I would be tempted to round one of them off.

moderndayruth

Debra said:
I use a big sewing scissors.

Me too :) For some decks i used nail clipper for the corners ;)

Debra said:
(You are doomed, by the way...it's addictive...that's my prediction and I'm stickin' with it!)
Right... it is addictive! :D

faunabay

I've trimmed with both scissors and the paper cutter/guillotine type cutter as well. The scissors are MUCH easier.

You have so much more control using scissors and I get a much more even deck of cards at the end. While no matter how much you try not to the card will slip sometimes using the paper cutter.

Use a good pair of scissors!!! You'll get much better results!!! I speak from experience! :p

HearthCricket

Okay! Words of Wisdom from the experts. I really appreciate this. Use sharp scissors, take my time, guillotine=bad and dangerous, think of it as personal crafting and not an off-the-assembly-line item. Short sides first, then long ones. Hold breath, do when not tired. :D

Le Fanu

Hearthcricket, you don't need brand names. Just (big!) good quality scissors, and the secret is to do each side with a single swipe. If you have to cut twice (even with a deck as big as the Druid Craft), let alone thrice, it can very easily go wonky. You must do each side with a single swipe. Then you can't really go wrong.

I got a Noblet from firefrost in a trade and I spent a whole year thinking it had been created with rounded corners. I only found out a couple of weeks ago that everyone else's had square corners. It shows, firstly, how well firefrost did it, and secondly, how well it suits the deck. You'd have thought it was made like that.

Be careful with trimming. It's like bonsais; you're terrified of pruning and once you start you can't stop, and it can be a bit of a minefield. Very easy to go too far and lose control!

Hedera

And, when using scissors, make sure you cut one side of the card in one (slow, smooth) go; no hesitating or re-opening the scissors in the middle of a side, because that gives indentations.

It's really not that hard, though.

Just hard on your fingers. ;)