PDA

View Full Version : Peculiar Bug in the Forum!

Elea
11-07-2009, 18:47
Hi, I have 2 problems - no, I just realized it's 3 (three) problems, and I'll edit the third one into this posting:

1) In the Reading Exchange Forum, I can't post a message and I'm getting the following error message:

>>The following errors occurred when this message was submitted:
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.<<

The thing is: I tried to post quite a lengthy answer. Both the preview and the submit mode respond with this same message. The thread where this happened is: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=1899556#post1899556

2) I received a PM from my exchange partner who wanted to post a msg. to me (feedback) in this same thread, but she couldn't get it done, so send her feedback to me by PM asking me to post it on her behalf. This is what I tried to do getting the answer I mentioned above.

So the second problem was: When I opened her PM, it seemed to be EMPTY! Only as I clicked the "reply to this msg" button, I saw her message!!

3) Now I just answered her PM which has been sent successfully, but then, when I went into my sent folder and opened the msg in order to read it, all I saw was also a blank answer, just so as if I had NOT written anything to her!!!

~~~~~~~~~

Could please someone of the technical people have a look into this and maybe find a solution?

Grigori
11-07-2009, 19:12
Hi Elea,

Try going through the message and the PM and removing all the quote options, then repost.

When you've incorrectly formatted a quote, the invisible message error happens. Usually its because of a forward slash instead of a black slash, or two endings and only one beginning or something like that. That is why the message appears when you forward it, as it turns off the VB code and you just see the text itself.

This would also make you unable to post the response to the forum sometimes. If your entire posts was inside a quote "bubble" it won't count as any words and so will refuse to allow you to post.

If you like, try forwarding the PM/message to me and I'll have a look at it for you :)

Elea
11-07-2009, 19:18
Oh thanks similia, I will first try to implement your tipps, and if it doesn't work, I'll gladly get back to your offer!

Elea
11-07-2009, 19:28
I had a careful look through the original PM I got and really found the quote-tags written wrongly. I now corrected them and here we go - everything back to normal.

Thanks so much for answering so fast .... nice to know that it was just a little mistake in the script instead of a real forum bug!!

best, Elea

Grigori
11-07-2009, 20:51
Excellent! Glad you could find it so easily. I had one recently and had a heck of a time working it out :laugh:

Alta
11-07-2009, 21:00
It isn't always the QUOTE errors. Sometimes I have had to take the entire post, copy to a blank email screen and then re-post bit by bit until I found the error. Sometimes it has been an extra space or even punctuation! argh.