Exercises for a Tarot Circle

Liz C

Need help with exercises for a tarot circle

Hi Everyone,

I am holding a fortnightly Tarot Circle in my home, we've just held our first one. Each time we get together we will be discussing one card in depth (we just did The Fool).

I'm wondering if anyone has any fun exercises they can suggest, where we can get in touch with the one card we are studying/discussing. I am open to anything, as long as it can be focussed on helping us better understand the one card we are studying.

What I did for our first session with The Fool was to get people to go through their deck and find cards that reinforced The Fool or opposed The Fool, so everyone ended up with 2 small piles of cards...cards that had something in common with The Fool, and cards that opposed The Fool. I then got people to share some of the cards they had picked. It was fun and enlightening. But I don't want to do the same exercise every time.

I look forward to any suggestions. It may take me a while to get back as I can't access a computer all the time.
Cheers,
Liz

Grizabella

You might try having everyone recall a memory of something in their own lives that the card reminds them of. That's a good way to make the cards relate to their own lives and helps in reading them. Then they have their own memory associations and probably will remember some of the other members' memories, too.

Maybe one week, you could have them all dress as their favorite card's character from their favorite deck and let everyone else guess which card everyone else's is supposed to be. To make it even more fun, have them dress as they think that card's character would look in today's world. It would be harder to guess that way. The Fool might be carrying a laptop bag, for instance, instead of the stick and bag, or might be pulling a roll-on suitcase.

Liz C

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Simple exercises are fine.

Or do you know of a website that might be helpful?

Cheers,
Liz

214red

just some random ideas:
-I quite like the very dorky but funny, 'who am i' game. you hold up a random card so others can see you but you cant see it, and people answer yours questions about the card you hold up, you guess who you are by their answers.

-sometimes it interesting to try pull out cards that mean very similar things to a major card.

-comparisons are good, i recently did a Knight comparison looking at their horses.

-What jobs would this card do?

-who would this card be in a party?

-how would you embody this card

good luck, circles are fun, but its always nice trying different fun ways of looking at the cards
Mary Greers 21 ways to read a tarot card is a great resourse, especially for running circles

Splungeman

Well...start off with a nice set of stretches, then some jumping jacks, push-ups, sit-ups..... :p

But seriously...Have one of the group tell a story of a movie using only the cards. The others then have to guess what movie and explain their guess.

Have each person describe their day in three cards. It's a fun way of answering the question "How was your day?"

I am a big advocate of playing games with the cards. Play opens up your mind and promotes out of the box or out of the book thinking.