what's your markup limit?

olivia1

I'm beginning to think I am very, very cheap! haha- I managed to find an OOP deck that I wanted for a pretty reasonable price but I decided against it because I hated the fact that it was marked up to about 3 times the original retail price. I think most people would have jumped on that price, though. For the going rate of that deck now, the seller's asking price wasn't that bad! When it comes to mark ups, when/ where do you draw the line?

ETA: its not about not having the money, either. I think even if Warren Buffet was my father, I still would feel uneasy buying something that was a markup. Which, I know, doesn't really make sense since it's not like the deck is a rip of because the deck's value legitimately went up.

magpie9

I draw the line at more than I'm willing to pay, or Highway Robbery, whichever comes first. It's not about percentages, it's about my particular emotional sticking point, at that time, with that deck.

olivia1

magpie9 said:
It's not about percentages, it's about my particular emotional sticking point, at that time, with that deck.
Sometimes, I think I am way to analytical to really and truly appreciate tarot. you are right--its supposed to be all about how you feel!

FatesLady

If I really want a deck, then I don't worry about the markup, and if I THINK I want a deck and the markup makes me balk, then I probably don't want the deck as bad as I thought I did. ;)

nicole_

For me, it depends on why I need that tarot for and how rare it is.

I would probably not spend anything beyond $60 if the deck was for myself. However, if it was a gift for my loved ones, I would spend close to $500.

Even if some tarot was expensive but the next available one might be a decade from now, I would grab it. Sad, but true. Demand vs supply. Yes, emotional sticking point well said!

olivia1

FatesLady said:
If I really want a deck, then I don't worry about the markup, and if I THINK I want a deck and the markup makes me balk, then I probably don't want the deck as bad as I thought I did. ;)

haha, good point.

ok, everyone, but when is the point when you start to feel guilty about the purchase? For me, any purchase over $40 would do it (I have never spent over $25 on a deck before).

cardlady22

My limit is $50-60 for a deck and book set. For a deck only it's about $35. I've had to wait for a couple, but I haven't been denied a wanted deck yet.

emmsma

I spend $82 on a deck once. Thats the most I've paid. I don't usually go that high. I feel guilty spending $45 on a deck - but I've done it several times. :p

And some decks, I'll balk at spending $30. Totally deck dependent.

FatesLady

I was willing to pay up to $80 for one deck, but managed to find it for about $60. I was willing to pay up to $70 for another recently, but miraculously found it for about $30. I've never felt guilty because I weight whether I really want a deck before I click buy (or email someone, or whatever).

Sinduction

I think $80 is my limit. That's the most I've paid for a deck and it was the first edition of a deck I'd been looking for for more than a decade.

But then, I felt bad spending $40 for the Transparent, until I had it in my hands.

That's the most I've paid for an OOP and a brand new. I think that's my top.

I also am quite poor and don't have the money to buy many decks. I've got three more that I will buy (I'm already saving) and then I am done. Then I will be having a massive clear out of my collection.

I can't justify spending more on a deck than I do at the grocery store. Even $30 for a deck/book set is pretty steep for me. That's why I look for used, actually most everything I own is second hand. Last year was the first time I actually was able to afford brand new sheets. Now that is a luxury! :D

I have no judgments on what other people will pay. Hey, if you've got the means then do it. I would. What else are you gonna spend your money on? Rent? Oh, that's so boring!