lots of questions about your "Tarot" ceremony or not?

gorgeousbutterfly

what do you do before every tarot reading and what do you use in your tarot readings? crystals (if so which ones) tarot cloths, candles etc. do you do this every time you do a reading? do you pray, mediate or ground yourself. i want to know everything you do.

Golden Moon

I simply place the deck in between my hands and ask them for Guidance, but before that I light one white candle, not the thin ones, but the thick ones. Put it on my top left side, Then I get my small cross, place it on the top center. then to my top right side I place a small cup of water. Then I turn off the lights. :)

I usually do this when I'm working on a very important and private matter. For myself or anyone else.

olivia1

I dont have a ceremony. I read on the carpet or wherever there is a hard surface. I simply shuffle and draw. I don't even use spreads. I also store my cards in a zip lock bag and store them in my sock drawer. For those of you who have a ceremony, how long does it take you to do a reading (from set up to pulling and interpreting cards)? Do you believe that ceremonies greatly enhance the quality of your readings. If so, maybe I should consider doing special rituals prior to reading...

nisaba

I usually read for others, not myself. In the unlikely event that I'm reading for myself, I make sure my hands are clean (not moisturised), and shuffle for moment to re-establish the link between myself and hte deck. Then I shuffle for a moment to randomise the cards, and go.

If I'm reading for others, well currently I read in a cafe, and only two afternoons a week. So I turn up just as the Lunch Rush is easing off, say hello to the boss and any staff members who are on the floor, cover the table I always use in a deep-blue cloth, cover the deep-blue cloth with a translucent (organdie?) white cloth with pretty little silver stars on it, pull out my hourglass, pull out and unwrap my Tarot decks, lining them up to be easily seen from the querent's chair and making sure they are all showing hte same Major Arcana card for comparisons of art-styles, Go outside and stick up my signage, sit down, and pull out a book and start reading it.

I get clients if the book I've brought along for between-times is really engrossing and I want to continue reading it without interruptions. THAT's when I'll have a busy shift!

When a client wanders over, I'll invite them to sit, ask them which deck appeals to their taste most, put the others aside, personally hand them the one they've indicated and let them shuffle. As they're shuffling (with an eye to deciding on a spread) I'll ask if they have a particular issue in mind, or if htey just want a general reading to see what's around. When they finish shuffling, I ask them to cut the deck into four piles, then to put those piles back together in a different order, (four because if you make it three or five they invariably put the centre one on top, and with four it's more random), then I'll lay out the spread face-up plus three extra cards to the side face-down, and start talking.

It's really about getting them to connect with the deck, hence all the handling and also letting them choose from whichever few decks I've chosen to bring along that day.

Splungeman

Sacrifice a virgin gerbil to the Tarot Gods, speak in tongues for an hour, bathe in the blood of a newly butchered yak...then I don the swooshy cape and the goat leggings and I'm ready for business! :p :p :p

But seriously....nothing. I just unpack 'em and read 'em

gregory

What Splunge said.

Though I do make sure I have something to drink close at hand. I do mean just something to drink, not alcohol, though it might be. I find I get very dry, and I hate having to get up in the middle to get a glass of water !....

I might also unplug the phone ;)

Oh - and clear a space. That is important if you are a muddler like me....

Does that count as ceremony ?

Aerin

I just take the cards out, focus on the question, who it is for and what spread I'll use while shuffling, and read.

That's it.

Face to face, I get the querent to pick the cards from anywhere in the pack they want. I don't read professionally.

Aerin

robinchun

Aerin said:
I just take the cards out, focus on the question, who it is for and what spread I'll use while shuffling, and read.

That's it.

Face to face, I get the querent to pick the cards from anywhere in the pack they want. I don't read professionally.

Aerin

What's SOOD?

Robin

WinterRose

robinchun said:
What's SOOD?

Robin

Eh? Where did that come from?

For me - I just shuffle, concentrate on my question, relax a bit, and let my intuition guide me.

Grizabella

I just shuffle and put the cards out.