PDA

View Full Version : A day at the Bancroft Rockhound Gemboree

Mi-Shell
01-08-2009, 14:47
The town of Bancroft is 165 km east of where I live; about a 21/2 hour drive on country roads... A nice drive on a day when it did not rain....
I much prefer to buy beads directly, see the colours, clarity, cut and finish... catalogues and websites just may show one thing and what arrives here in the bush is quite something else...
The Bancroft Gemboree however is great fun. There are 3 areas: A big hall with lots of large companies selling wholesale as well as to the public. Most vendors ther are long time participants at the show and arrive from all over canada. My favorite bead store is Capilano from Vancouver. We deal with them since 20 years....
Then there is another building with smaller local vendors and artisans. many beautiful individual pieces are to be found there. And then there is the "Swap/ Meet" outside, where rockhounds can trade with other rockhounds and great deals can be found...
I was looking for Beads: Jade, Aventurine, Garnet, Amethyst and good quality Turquoise beads and also cabochons for our business.
Peter was more interested in Labradorite , Jasper and Agate slabs -and also tools and findings. We had a lot of vendors to compare and desicions to make, but slowly our backpacks filled with treasures! :)
Another treat is that I can visit one of my favorite vendors, who sells carved stone Animals. I always look for Owls, Bears, maybe a Wolf - if it is portrayed realistically- and also for critters that I can ad to my little collection of Medicine wheel Animals.
This year I got very lucky!
I found not only a small Turtle carved from Opal, small snakes made of Rose Quartz and Amethyst but also a neat little Bat and , surprise, surprise: A Moose and a magnificent Ibex!

There were also a few neat dogs and cats I am planning to use as gifts for friends..... And come to think of it, there was also a teny tiny chicken.....!!

At another booth I found tiny delicately carved replicas of the Venus of Willendorf, rendered in different kinds of semiprecious stone!

And at yet another booth I could hardly belief my eyes! a magnificent large Mountain Lion, sleek and smooth, carved from chalcedony and Someone I would never have guessed I would find:
Ee’ren Omsür, the Snow Leopard!!!
The magnificent Snow Leopard is a VERY special Guardian for the Medicine people of my dad’s clan!
Of course I bought both of them and now they are on our Family Altar, getting to know all the ones, we already have.
We do have a vendor’s -wholesaler's license and so usually only pay half of the retail price, but still, we spend every penny we brought with us and had to leave sooooo many nice things behind.....

Debra
01-08-2009, 15:01
Oh this sounds like fun Mi-Shell!

That little bat makes me smile. There are HUGE fruit bats all over the island of Okinawa where I once lived. The Americans hated them but bats are lucky in Asia--I like their way of thinking! (Also they eat a zillion mosquitos) Glad you had a good trip! :heart:

BodhiSeed
01-08-2009, 21:49
Sounds like heaven on earth Mi-shell! I've had a love affair with the stone people for a long time now.:D

And Debra, I'm batty over bats! I love how they swoop and dive in the evenings catching insects - real aerial acrobats!

firefrost
01-08-2009, 22:05
Sounds like heaven on earth Mi-shell!

I was thinking that while reading through it :)

Mi-Shell
01-08-2009, 23:46
Oh, had I only known, you guys like bats! There was at least one more.....
While the Bancroft day was fun, today I will be stringing beads all day.
Out on the deck in - hopefully sunny weather....
Tomorrow is the Kashee Lake craft show.....
While I loooooove to do fineky elaborate projects, this year, with the recession I have more luck selling the simple things....
Sooo of to make lots of little earrings and bracelets and.... :)

gregory
02-08-2009, 00:19
How lovely. I keep meaning to go to Bancroft; I must try and work it in around the Gemboree another time !

I hope the snow leopard brings you good fortune in your dealings with Canada Post..... ;).

lark
02-08-2009, 00:32
What a fun day..sounds like my idea of heaven!
Love that little opal turtle he's a real stunner!

Mi-Shell
02-08-2009, 05:50
Lunch break! :)
or rather: rain break :(
Beading outside has its definite draw-backs.
First I am “fair game” for our Squirrels. They want more sunflower seeds and they hate it, that I do pay them no heed. They run up my legs, hop onto the table, run all over my bead boxes and leave little brown oval “beads” for me to incorporate into the earrings....
But the thing with Squirrels is, that, to encourage you to do their bidding, they BITE!!!! With SHARP teeth!!! So I am beading in blood....

And then I did not pay attention to the changing weather and all of a sudden it rained on my table and into my bead boxes...
So now I am drying out and so are my beads...
And I have time to show you a picture of the beautiful beaded bags I swapped for copper Bracelets at one of the Swap Meet tables in Bancroft!
The black one will be the home of my newest treasure, the Santa Fee Tarot!
The cards and the book fit into it just like magic!

Debra
02-08-2009, 06:02
Those bags are jaw-droppingly beautiful! Funny how sometimes you find just what you need when you need it. Probably the person who traded for your bracelets feels the same way! :heart:

gregory
02-08-2009, 06:07
MiShell - you never fail to amaze me with your work..... They are just gorgeous.