Tarot greeting cards or note cards?

SageNC

I'm looking for Tarot greeting cards or note cards to send to my daughter. She is being held without bond in a NC county jail. The jail won't allow her tarot cards as they are stating that paganism/wicca is not a nationally recognized religion. (I know, but would rather help her than fight the system right now) She's turned a couple decks of playing cards into tarot cards, but she'd like pictures of the cards to help her with her readings. I've been trying to find greeting or note cards that are tarot cards but can't find any. Anyone know of where I can find them? Or someone creative that can make them for me? (I'm artistically challenged)

cardlady22

Wow, this is a tough one. They probably don't want any disturbances from/with other people there. Would they allow her to have a tarot companion book that had the pics inside? Granted, it wouldn't be shuffling & laying out a spread, and the pics would be black & white.

ETA: This may not be tarot, but some artists have shops set up on Zazzle where you can order notecards or postcards with their artwork.

SageNC

She's only allowed to have 3 books at a time. I asked if she wanted a tarot book, but that would mean that she would have less to read because she'd keep the book. And she's an avid reader. If she had cards or postcards, she can keep all of them.

The prison system allows tarot cards, but the county sherriff that runs the jail is making a stand that she doesn't belong to a recognized religion. I'll make a stink about that, when she's no longer there, but they are giving her a bad time the way it is, and I don't want to make it worse.

cardlady22

I know how that is! I read quite a bit and much faster than most. How often are you allowed to visit to switch them out? If I were in that situation, I'd want a tarot book and have the other 2 "allowable" be omnibus/trilogy versions to get the most bang for my buck.

The only other thing I can think of would be something where the artist has posted pics with a permission to make a single copy for personal use. All you would need is access to a printer and some card stock. Does anyone know where to get any other download & print decks?

Debra

Oh dear.

How about making tarot stationary? You might do this by photocopying or printing small images of the cards onto regular 8-1/2 x 11 paper. You might have five small clear images running across the top and five along the bottom with the center left blank; that's where you can write your letter to her.

With a few letters you've got the major arcana + four aces covered. Otherwise it's one card at a time...

Sites like taroteca.com show all the cards in many decks so you could resize them small. Or lay your own cards down on a photocopier, shrink the copy size, cut them out, tape them across top and bottom of an 8-1/2 x 11 piece of paper, then photocopy that and you've got tarot stationary.

Good luck; I hope you find a solution to help her.

Debra

Those are for e-mail messages.

shaveling

When I visited the Pierpont-Morgan Library in New York a few years ago, they had greeting cards of some of the Visconti cards (a lot of the original cards are there, so they usually stock the greeting cards and decks, I was told). Very cleverly, the cards are the size of normal business envelopes, so you don't get hit with the surcharges that non-standard sized greeting cards sometimes involve.

But it's just four copies of four cards: The Wheel of Fortune, The Chariot, The Queen of Swords, and the Queen of Coins. And the Visconti imagery may not helpful for your daughter's purposes.

Oh, never mind. I've checked the museum's shop website, and the publisher's as well (Pomegranate.com). Neither one lists these greeting cards, so I guess they're out of print.

If you would like some of these to write to her on, feel free to PM me. The Wheel of Fortune or The Chariot might be encouraging. I'd avoid the Queen of Swords if a woman lawyer was a bad part of your daughter's story. Or the other queen, if money loomed large in the charges. But that's up to you. I'd be happy to send one copy of any or all of the cards in the set. I'm originally a Tarheel myself, though I've been here in Michigan for years.

divinemsm

That is a really tough break, SageNC. I understand why you don't want to press the issue regarding the blatant violation of her civil rights. Look for a local Pagan group or Unitarian Church as they may have some suggestions on how to deal with these biggots. I remember reading an article in one of the Pagan magazines about Pagans behind bars, but I can't seem to find my issue. do an online search and they may be able to offer help as well. But, on to your question.
My first suggestion would be to go onto some of the Tarot card authors personal website and see if you can get permission to print one of their decks as a set of post cards. If you explan your situation, they may be willing to help you as some of them are wonderful people.
My second suggestion is that if you can find public domain images of tarot cards, you can use shutterfly.com to print post or greeting cards yourself. It may be just a tad pricy, although they do offer coupons to frequent users. I would advise maybe the size of like a thank you note, that way she could tear off the excess and have a deck of sorts that is small and would seem less threatening.
If she has an attorney, ask them to get for you a copy of the jail's mail policy regarding the types and amount of mail she can receive. If not, ask the person you speak to when you go to visit. Legally, they have to provide you with this. A way around the book limitation (which would kill me) would be to photo copy exerpts from books and mail them to her. It would be tedious, but it would give her more to read.
Again, I know you do not want to make waves, but seek help within your Pagan/Unitarian community. Because they are local, they may be able to offer you and your daughter some help and peace of mind.

nisaba

SageNC said:
I'm looking for Tarot greeting cards or note cards to send to my daughter. She is being held without bond in a NC county jail. The jail won't allow her tarot cards as they are stating that paganism/wicca is not a nationally recognized religion. (I know, but would rather help her than fight the system right now) She's turned a couple decks of playing cards into tarot cards, but she'd like pictures of the cards to help her with her readings. I've been trying to find greeting or note cards that are tarot cards but can't find any. Anyone know of where I can find them? Or someone creative that can make them for me? (I'm artistically challenged)
Get her a copy of any of the Christian-based decks. Some good examples are the Vetrate (The Star card is the nativity), the Saints deck, etc.

As to it not being recognised, I believe in an other community I belong to, there are Americans who are Pagan clergy who are prison visitors specifically to minister to imprisoned Pagans. I'll get back to you on that.