Can anyone tell me what this deck is?

Emylicious

So that's what it was! No wonder it seemed familiar lol. Not sure if I'm going to go for it. But glad I know what it is!

Thank you

Emily x

Annabelle

Yep, it's the Fairy Ring Oracle. Have it, love it . . . it's long been one of my favorite oracles. There is an element of photocollage in these cards, though (photos of real people worked into the scenes, etc.) which might turn some people off, though I think it is tastefully and skillfully done.

Aerin

It scared me. So I traded the deck and kept the book.

Froud Fairies works much better for me.

x

ps I also traded all their other decks away.

Le Fanu

Don't get me wrong, Im not a fairy sort of person, but... I actually have this deck. I picked it up cheap-ish here recently when I was in one of my "out of the comfort zone" phases...

And you know what? It's the weirdest deck; I find the artwork just awful (excuse the honesty), collaged and cut and pasted and photoshopped and whatever, but it gives the most extraordinary readings. I use it in conjunction with the book and, even so, it is just always, always spot on.

I overlook the artwork and really hear its distinctive voice. I find that, as it is based in "real" fairy myth, (some of which I know from my childhood in the north of England) it seems more vivid somehow. The other Fairy Oracle (Froud) seems to me too much the product of someone else's imagination. This one - the Fairy Ring - has centuries of fascinating myth woven into it. The book is unputdownable...

(and the ebay listing is wrong; it isn't tarot...)

nisaba

I, too, have fairy issues, le Fanu - when anyone mentions fairies, or dragons, or dolphins, I can feel every nerve in my body curl up with fright.

The fairies I know about are, to cite well-known popular culture, Pratchettian: remember the Lords and Ladies out of the Pratchett novel called, well, Lords nad Ladies? Or the wee blue folk known as the Nac Mac Feegles?

A bloodthirsty mob the latter, and a cruel mob the former. These are somewhat like fairies as they have been known in the past.

The idea of butterflies which have had a caterpillarectomy and a mini-human-transplant are something shocking that I think Victorian Repression must be responsible for. At any rate, they scare the willies out of me, even Daft Willy of the Nac Mac Feegles.

If I ever get a fairy deck, it'll be a proper one, with fairies that you can be decently afraid of.

And I won't buy it until I already have the lockable iron box in the house to keep it in.

Aerin

Well this is full of Scary Fairies.

*bump in the night deck*

The book is really good.

Aerin x

NorthernTigress

Nisaba: dolphins? I'm trying to imagine how anyone could be afraid of dolphins.

Morwenna

For one thing, dolphins are carnivores. And they're much larger than cats.