Which protects Tarot Decks better?

Golden Moon

Out of every Tarot users expirience, which matirial protects tarot decks better? Satin, Silk, Felt, or Velvet?

SakuraFae

Golden Moon said:
Out of every Tarot users expirience, which matirial protects tarot decks better? Satin, Silk, Felt, or Velvet?

I'm sorry all I could think of was "from me spilling my coffee?".. nothing short of not letting me near them will protect them! Which is another reason why silk and satin are a tad dangerous..to slippery.

Felt.. always seemed a little harsh and coarse. Leaving me with soft, caressing velvet. Ahhh. Velvet..

Did you mean protect the actual cards from damage or where you meaning more on a spiritual level?

Golden Moon

From actual damage. :)

SphinYote

Acrylic box frames.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/c...cid=SiteSubmitProducts&wmckw=Clear+Box+Frames

Of course, the box inside isn't acid free, so I try to give them a wrap of acid free paper, first (these are for decks that I stupidly threw away the packaging for in my youth.....).

Not that the cards are acid free, either, but there are differing amounts and cheap cardboard is worse than most cardstock and can cause discoloration.

olivia1

magpie9 said:
Try Baggies. :p

haha! I was thinking the same thing, but that's not one of the options ;) Although, I do keep my decks in zip lock bags and the only damage they have are from use.

MysticalMoose

not one of the options I know...but some of my more fragile & sensitive decks live in wooden boxes :)... apart from that I find a nice quality velvet to be the most protective of my babies ....

Grizabella

I love 100% cotton---cotton outside, cotton lining, double strings, too, because they're easier to use. For me, anyway. There's a link somewhere here how to make them real simply and I've made some myself---if I can do it, anyone can. :p Cotton fabric with a little light quilt batting inside the two layers would work well if a person were still worried. Cotton is washable, sturdy and feels great to my hands, plus it comes in a zillion colors and prints.

If a person were to want to get fancier, using the "fancy" on a spread cloth will do it for me. Velvet, satin or whatever else. I have one that's made like a crazy quilt--thank you to AJ who made the crazy quilt part---and then embellished with beadwork and embroidery that I did. I've also got one that's made of (I think) taffeta and some made of cotton or maybe cotton blends. A nice double thickness cotton bag and then wrapping in your spread cloth is more than plenty of protection for a deck.

Taamar

If I only get a single layer it's going to be wool felt because it's thick enough to cushion but won't damage the cards. Synthetic felts are abrasive and will take the finish off a card over time. Satin is a weave not a fiber, I've seen silk, cotton, wool, and synthetic satins, and would choose based on the fiber. silk and cotton satins are excellent as a liner or spreadcloth, the synthetic doesn't move me. If I can find wool satin I'm using it on something much more grand than my cards! Silks are always good, but pay attention to the weave... seriously nubby weaves sometimes have bits of plant matter in them. Velevet is wonderful in the beginning, but it wears quicly and looses its nap. I have a bag full of dice that was smooth black velvet when I made it and is crushed velvet with worn spots now. From a construction point, satin and velvet are a pain to sew, also.

gregory

olivia1 said:
haha! I was thinking the same thing, but that's not one of the options ;) Although, I do keep my decks in zip lock bags and the only damage they have are from use.
Make sure they aren't airtight or you risk condensation.

I protect them by - keeping my coffee in the other room :)

Those nice little file-card boxes they had at Walgreen's last year are really good for any deck they fit.