One deck for all?

SunriseDesire

Do any of you find you need a deck for different kinds of questions, or can one deck be all you need?

Im posting a lot of questions lately, I apoligize. Im returning to tarot after a hiatus so, you know how it is.....

Wendywu

I have a group of four of five favourite decks and together they cover everything I think I could be asked to read on. I don't doubt that if you only had one deck it would be suitable for everything, but since I've got a few - I use 'em.....

emmsma

I think its fine to use any deck for all questions. I choose a deck when I read, based on my mood, rather than my question.

thorhammer

emmsma said:
I think its fine to use any deck for all questions. I choose a deck when I read, based on my mood, rather than my question.
What she said :D I have lots of decks, but even if I only had one, it would be fine for any and all questions. I force myself to use my decks, or at least the majority, for a stretch of time, and whatever questions or readings come up in this time get that deck. It works for me just great.

The only partial exception to this rule is erotic decks. I only have one, and I participate in the monthly Reading with Erotic Decks (RED) exchange, but it's hard going.

\m/ Kat

Miren

Depends on my mood. I only use the Ferret if I'm feeling happy/silly/perky. I think it might depend on the querent. I can't imagine reading for most people using the Legend: Arthurian, for instance. Other people might resonate more with the cards they see in the Gilded rather than the Legacy. For myself, they all work (depending on mood) because I'm so familiar with them.

Apollonia

I could definitely use just one deck (I only use two for clients as it is.) Having more than one is a luxury, not a necessity.

Annabelle

Apollonia said:
Having more than one is a luxury, not a necessity.
*Nods head* Agreed. One deck is all that's needed, really.

(The rest of my 400+ decks are just luxuries :D)

I have found over time that some of my decks seem to work better with certain types of questions -- for example, I love using the Ship of Fools tarot for financial questions. But hand me a classic like the RWS or Thoth, and I'm good to go for any question.

Le Fanu

Without a doubt, one deck would serve for any question.

But part of it is psychological; once I get into my head that such-and-such a deck is good for certain questions, I keep going back to it. Klimt for relationships/sex etc etc...

Wendywu

That's it - I do know that the Templar would read for anything anywhere, but other decks seem somehow more suited to some types of question.

But me, a desert island and the Templar - we'd be fine :)

SkadisPhoenix

What would be your other luxury wendy! ;)

I've a limited collection (well compared to other people on here anyway), but I've found that there's four decks that answer any question put to them, though one is an oracle deck (Celtic Messages), while the other three are the Gilded, The Jane Austen, and Llewellyn decks.

However, while they do tend to be decks for any question, I still tend to use them for different types of question.

As Apollonia says, it's a luxury, which I am MORE than happy to partake in! ;)