Is performing 'Tarot Spells' a good idea?

kayman

Hi,

I've been studying the tarot on and off since past 1 year (busy with university) out of sheer interest and curiosity and have done a few readings (some with success and not so much). I've come across the existence of Tarot Spells a while back and was wondering how safe is it, or better still, sensible, to perform some of these? I'm familiar with the general ethics as well of course but the consequences of performing a spell.

The most obvious thing I'm interested in is getting myself a job for next year (I graduate this year).

The books I was thinking of were:
Tarot Spells - Janina Rene
Everyday Moon Magic: Spells & Rituals for Abundant Living (Dorothy Morrison)

So what's your opinions, experiences and ideas? :)

divinemsm

Spells are what you make of them. As a practicing Witch, I have incorporated Tarot in some of my spells. I find the cards to be excellent meditation tools, the imagery lending itself quiite well to what I call "wish magic". Wish magic is magic in which you want to obtain something or want something to happen in a certain way, a wish. There is absolutely nothing wrong with directing your personal energy (sort of what happens when you cast a spell) to gain something you want or need, like a job. You are not looking to harm anyone, just get by.
The real key to any and all spellwork is your own intent. If your mind is focused and clear on the intent of your spell, and you are directing your energy on your intended goal, you will be successful. The cards are just lending an image for you to focus your intent on. The card should represent what you want to happen.
I do not own the Morrison book you listed but I have several other books she has written and have cast a number of spells out of them with reasonable success. I trust her as a Wiccan/Pagan author and have recommended her book, The Craft, to several people as a good beginners source book. I do own the Tarot Spells book you have listed. Other than the love spells she has in there, most of the spells involve pretty standard ritual and spellwork. I have 3 of the spells in the book, again with pretty decent results.
The thing about spell books, the way I look at them, they really are more templates, loose guidelines for how a spell can go. I usually look at the spell in the book and then make it more personal, change some of the tools or wording, make it more my own. That way when I work the spell, I feel more comfortable doing it, which makes it easier to focus my energy on my intent and get the job done. so to speak.
Ray Buckland and Scott Cunningham also have some fantastic spell books out there, with spells along the lines of what you are looking for. Practical Candle Magic is an absolute treasure, being easy to follow and very practical...
Good Luck!!
Laurie

hunter

I have Everyday Tarot Magic, Tarot Spells and The Tarot Spellcaster. The Tarot Spellcaster has some really inspiring pictures. I only paid about $3.00 for a used hardcover from Amazon.

I'm brand new to this but very interested in the topic. I prefer to use decks with more female main characters in my rituals. I'm experimenting with the Vanessa and the Goddess.

I don't know what is right and wrong with rituals. Coming from a background of ultra conservative Christianity, almost everything I do daily makes me feel a bit guilty even wearing pants and cutting my hair. So...I just plough along anyway, ignoring any guilt.

I picked up a used copy of Goddess in the Office cheap this week but I'm not ready for Z. Budapest type spells. Burying pig's tongues and urinating on the ground is not where I'm at yet. I did have a good laugh with a friend about using some of her spells on my stalker though :) She really is funny.

kayman

I've decided to get Dorothy's book on Moon magic since I've always admired the moon, though she talks about the "Mother Goddess." Who's she?

Also is this a good book for beginners?

Sinduction

Why not just pray to whatever it is that you pray to instead? It is the same thing.

I worry about someone starting off with spells with no background in the other aspects. Doing spells for me, tarot or otherwise, is a very powerful thing and I have been studying the Craft for many years.

You can do the same thing with whatever religion you currently practice. I don't have the Tarot Spells book, I don't feel that I need it, so I can't comment on where the author comes from and if it is done in an educational way.

Or are you looking to change religions? If so, spells come later, education comes first.

But that's all just my opinion.

hunter

Sinduction,

I don't know if your comment was to me?

I don't have a religion really right now. I left Christianity years ago. I'm starting to dabble in Goddess spirituality. I read much more than I do, because I'm still finding my way...but at some point you have to do a little something. We learn as much (or more) by doing as we do by listening.

divinemsm

Most Morrison books are good for beginners. She has a very comfortable writing style and does a great job of explaining things in a manner that anyone can understand. "The Craft" is her book that I usually recommend for beginners as it is a great overview and has some good spells for beginners.
The Mother Goddess is the feminine aspect of the Divine spirit. She is the moon, nature and the bearer of all life. She has had many names over the centuries and spans across many cultures, Greek, Celtic, Norse and many more. A lot of Wiccan scholars say she predates the Christian God. I would like to think that She was there at the same time and that her worship faded as cultures became more patriarchial. There are lots of books out there that can give you a better explanation that I can about this. "When God wass a Woman" is a pretty decent read about this. Most books on Wicca will give you some good info on this.
Z. Budapest is an amazing woman and author, but she can be a lot to take, and not someone I recommend to beginners. And there are authors out there that I won't recommend if I feel that they advocated any form of hate or hate magic as part of a beginners course. There is more than enough hate in the world to attach it to someones spiritual course. PM me for my beginner's book list if anyone is interested.

Sinduction said:
I worry about someone starting off with spells with no background in the other aspects. Doing spells for me, tarot or otherwise, is a very powerful thing and I have been studying the Craft for many years.

There are people who learn better by practical experience. I read tons of books on the Craft when I first started years ago (back when you had to order out of the Llewylln catalog and then wait patiently), but it wasn't until I set the books down and began just experiencing the rituals and spell work did I really begin to fully understand and appreciate what I was doing. We all have to start somewhere. But, you are right and I was remiss not to throw in a few disclaimers, for a lack of a better word.
The first thing I will warn is that Sindication is right in a way. Spells worked with a great deal of energy and emotion can be extremely powerful things. I almost alway suggest that one start out with small spells, like protection and cleansing. They are usually the least complicated, easiest to follow and only effect the one who is casting it.
Which comes to my next warning. It has been said that with great power comes great responsibiity, and that is absolutely true. You are responsible for whatever spells you cast, good or bad, and how they effect you and the people around you. While not all Pagans believe this, Wiccans have a firm rule, of sorts, that forbid the tampering of free will, in other words, casting spells against other people without their permission even if youu believe it is for their own good. Messing with other peoples lives is just plain bad Karma, even if you think you are doing the right thing. Nobody knows every single aspect of another person's life and therefore are ill eqipped to make decisions on their behalf (unless they ask you to do it). So, unless you get permission first, you are advised not to cast spells on other people.
Next warning involves clear intent. Lets say you are casting a spell trying to get a new job. You have everything set up, you are casting your spell to get this job you saw in the paper that you know you are perfect for. Your mind in the front section is fully concentrating on this amazing job. But in the cheap seats in the back of your mind, there is a discussion going on about how you would have to get up earlier because it is farther away as well as a variety of other minor things that the people sitting there want to bitch about. Guess what? Your spell isn't going to work. Clear intent involves your entire mind. You cannot be working on your grocery list in the back of your head while doing this. You have to be completely focused on what you are doing and why you are doing it. And that is where many casters fail, myself included. There are meditations out there that teach you how to clear everything out of your mind except one thought. I would advise finding them and practicing them.
There are those out there who never need to light a candle or set up a ritual but can gather energy and send it in whatever direction they need to to get what they want. The tools of magic are not really necessary but rather visual aids to bring your mind to focus on the task at hand. It is the same reason why churches are so grand. They are wanting to grab your attention. If you are a visual person, as I am, you need all the help you can get. The candles and other things I use, including tarot cards keep my mind focused on what I am doing. Just useful tools. The magic is all in you.
Oh and by the way, magic isn't everything. Just because you cast a spell, doesn't mean you are going to get what you want. You will still have to get off your butt and do what is necessary to make things happen. You are still responsible for puting the sweat equity into your life. Magic just tweaks your odds, not solves all your problems.
Finally, one of my favorite sayings, "Be careful what you cast for because you just might get it". You have decided you really want this job at the zoo. You havent done any really checking into what it is all about and what it would entail you doing. You just really, really, REALLY want this job at the zoo. You gather all of your stuff, light your candle, focus all your intent and it is a total success. You put in the app, get the call and start the job you really really wanted. Only you come to find out this zoo job you thought was so great is actually cleaning the poo out of the lions' cage for minimum wage while the lions are still in there watching you do it. The lesson here is you really need to look into what you are casting for BEFORE you cast your spell. The universe has a huge sense of humor, and will take every opportunity to exerecise it at your expense.
Think about what you are doing before you do it.

hunter

Being scared of doing something wrong is what holds me back from doing more.

Z. Budapest believes it's okay to disregard the will of men who are using their power to hurt us, and that there is nothing good about not using the power we have been given.

I don't know what is right and wrong. Sometimes I still feel so brainwashed from my abusers and Christianity that I barely know which way is up.

Divinemsm, Can you post your list here. My stalker likes to break into my online accounts and if he sees anyone in my PM box that is more than a simple card trade or moderator issue, they are likely to end out on one of his lists. He likes to keep track of ALL my contacts. I really am tempted to do a Budapest spell on him!! Tongues, urine and all!

Please post a beginner list to keep me from being turned to the darkside by the amazing Budapest :) I'm feeling sorely tempted right now!

Abrac

kayman, if you don't mind my asking, is there some reason you think it might be a bad idea?

divinemsm

hunter said:
Being scared of doing something wrong is what holds me back from doing more.

Z. Budapest believes it's okay to disregard the will of men who are using their power to hurt us, and that there is nothing good about not using the power we have been given.

I don't know what is right and wrong. Sometimes I still feel so brainwashed from my abusers and Christianity that I barely know which way is up.

Divinemsm, Can you post your list here. My stalker likes to break into my online accounts and if he sees anyone in my PM box that is more than a simple card trade or moderator issue, they are likely to end out on one of his lists. He likes to keep track of ALL my contacts. I really am tempted to do a Budapest spell on him!! Tongues, urine and all!

Please post a beginner list to keep me from being turned to the darkside by the amazing Budapest :) I'm feeling sorely tempted right now!

It is extremely easy to get anger and let the toadspawn fly. I have been guilty of that in the past and I always felt bad about it. Budapest is a very smart woman who has founded several covens that are feminist based. I am not saying that is a bad thing because there are just some people out there that have been so hurt by men and male dominated spirituality that they feel the need to shut that out of their spirituality completely. I find it to be very limiting personally, but that is me. And keep in mind that not all Christians are narrow minded or abusive. Just specific ones that are not worth your time. There is also no real dark or light side of magic, just differing perspectives. When you cast a spell, you have to ask yourself first if you are will to live with the consequences, whatever they may be. If you can get past that, knock yourself out.
I will try and post the list later on tonight after I get home as it is on my other flashdrive.
Nameste