Has anyone ever been venerated/welcomed just for being a tarot card reader?

The crowned one

Perhaps it is where I live, but I have never had a bad reaction when I tell someone I read tarot cards. Actually I have exactly the opposite of ostracizing. I am welcomed and swamped with (free) :) ) reading requests. Looks of awe abound and if I read well( I generally do) my time at the gathering or function where this information has come out is spent being questioned, looked up to for my hobby, and being welcomed and accepted by the group.

True I do not announce "I read cards" in church...but then again I do not go to church.

Has anyone else been accepted or welcomed just because of their reading of tarot cards?

My experiences have been all very positive.

nisaba

By and large many of mine have been, too.

Although, I think you have the advantage of novelty-value there: I fit the tarot reader's archetype of a fat, middle-aged woman, whereas you are (to judge from your photo) -er- there's no polite way to say this - a chicken.

Tarot-reading chickens are so rare as to be incredibly popular. To a lesser extent, I think that human males, also, have a slight advantage, like male teachers or nurses. They all indisputably exist, but I think the traditional stereotypes in the collective consciousness doesn't allow them to be seen as common yet. So, Chook, you're a novelty.

The crowned one

Not to take this off topic, but I had to look up "Chook".

I prefer Gallus gallus. :D

I also happen to be a male nurse.

nisaba

<cackle> Why am I not Surprised?

A nursing, Tarot-reading chicken. One for the books. Next you'll be telling me you drink ale and chop wood.

So ... do you think it is the effect of novelty, or do you believe that an open countenance attracts friendship?

The crowned one

I do display an open countenance, and now that I think about it, for a rooster I am quite large and some might find me intimidating if they do not know me (My strength is to help not hurt). Could that affect the enthusiasm that greets my confident announcement that" Yes I read tarot cards" or are West coast Canadians just very open to cool things? Ale flow influence at said gathering aside :D ?

In Nursing I am very aware that it is my size/sex rather then my knowledge that makes the first good impression, as I can transfer anyone. (Nurses will relate)

Seriously. All reactions to the fact I read have been either surprise followed by a positive reaction, or a positive reaction, and a "I should have known, because you are pretty weird/well read" sort of thing.

Tarot, it seems to me, is taken as intellectual, esoteric and spiritual to the general public here, but not negatively.

Ambrosia

Yea I can't say I have ever been ostracized or bummed out because I read cards.
Like you guys, I have always been welcomed with open arms and open minds.
I wouldn't say it's JUST because I read cards though, I like to think I'm pretty interesting and easy to get on with in my own right lol! :D

Le Fanu

Ive never, ever come across ostracism (is that the word?)though I don't always tell people and - as I in the eyes of most people I don't live up to a stereotype - I guess they just don't suspect it? What's a stereotype I hear you ask... well, generally female and new agey/hippyish. NOT what I think, you understand, but a perception of the general population...

So, unless I tell people or they go to my house and see all the decks, they just don't really know. However, when I do tell people or they find out, the reaction is always positive. They love looking at my cards and like to have free readings and are always positive. Even if they don't believe it, they are respectful in their views. But always, without exception, curious about the history of tarot.

Interesting that at work, where I feel that my work and judgment is respected and where I think I am generally liked, it is amusing that some people know I privately consult the cards over things and am often right (and they love hearing what I discovered!), and this, I think, is the greatest triumph for tarot; being accepted into day to day life and not being judged for it!

Milfoil

I've had both. Most are interested when they find out I read tarot, they are eager to pull a card or have a reading but less eager to pay!

Once or twice, I have experienced the snooty looks or politely scathing comments. Once from a religious person (Christian) who considered the tarot to be the Devil's work and the other from a business person who didn't believe in that rubbish.

Hey-ho, their loss.

Mostly now though, times and attitudes are changing and more people are inquisitive and accepting.

gregory

I've either hit total lack of interest or "but isn't that about fortune telling" followed by the loan of several books and in one case an artist friend starting to create a deck ! (she quit in the end, which was a pity... Lack of time)

I have one daughter who I think is embarrassed when I mention it in public. :bugeyed:

I also discovered - when I mentioned it in passing - that one of my friends is a witch. Like so many of us - she hadn't seen any particular reason to mention it - these things only need mentioning when relevant - and no that is NOT a matter of hiding it; I don't mention what books I like either, unless it comes up.

This thread and its sister rather baffle me. They remind me of that famous Miss Manners column:
What do I say when I am introduced to a gay couple at a party ?

How do you do, how do you do. What kind of person are you that you need to challenge someone's sexuality on first meeting them ?

intuition897

gregory said:
This thread and its sister rather baffle me. They remind me of that famous Miss Manners column...

I suppose ideally it really shouldn't matter. Trouble is, I've noticed that the world is filled with situations (and people) who fall short of "ideal". I haven't really met with outright ostracism or angry mobs carrying torches and shouting 'death to the blasphemer!' or anything like that. I just notice, if I mention my interest in the Tarot or other methods of divination (and to me, it is of fascinating scientific interest), there is often a split second pause in the conversation, their eyes glaze over slightly as I see the gears turning in their heads, and their smile starts to look pasted on. I translate this as a feeling of embarrassment for me. I can see what they're thinking. I can see that their opinion of me just fell a couple of notches as they can't help but have to shave off a few IQ points. They're thinking, "Wow, and I thought she was smart. I can't believe an intelligent mind would fall for that crap..."

I have experienced this sort of mentality in other areas of my life as well, and it all boils down to one thing: ignorance. There are a lot of people who have strong opinions about things they not only know next to nothing about, but furthermore have no interest in knowing about. I should probably get myself a small deck of cards and a little case and carry them in my purse wherever I go. I'd love to be able to pull them out on the spot if they ever came up in conversation. My Mom would likely not let me cross the threshold of her house if she knew I had them on me, though! She swears they're the "tools of the devil". lol I tried explaining it, but...she's entitled to her opinion.