reverse-engineering readings

nisaba

Lately I've seen a lot of threads - two just today, in fact - where people have almost reverse-engineered questions. Instead of saying "I drew card Xxxx, does this mean Blah?" which would to me be an ordinary way of looking for information, we have people not mentioning Card Xxxx at all, but asking "Can you tell me what cards would mean Blah?"

I mean, why would you ask a question like that?

If specific cards come up, why not ask about specific cards?

If you have feelings or thoughts and you don't want to say what cards are pulled but "check with others" if those cards can mean those feelings or thoughts, then obviously they'd have to as you already know what you feel or think (which sorta makes me wonder why a reading is happening at all, if you already have the information).

I'm just really, really interested in the phenomenon of reverse-engineering as I've noticed it over the last month or two, it is a Very Odd Thing.

Of course, a third scenario is that just recently we have a higher-than -usual percentage of Creative Writers amongst us, all with novels/poems/short stories/film scripts under way, who want to get the cards right for Tarot references in tehir writing, which is about the most logical reason for reverse-engineering a question that I can see.

Still dying of curiosity, because I had a glimpse at a deck, and I really don't think an undue amount of fiction is being written. <grin>

gregory

GREAT thread; it has been bugging me and I have said so a few times, with mixed results. I CANNOT see the question making any sense out of context.

emmsma

Not making much sense of this either. There's been lots of spellwork discussions lately. I might have thought that was whats going on, but why you would want someone to be jealous is beyond me...

canid

Wow, I didn't think of it as possibly being spellwork info they're after, but you're right. I assumed the questions were strictly for educational purposes but maybe not. Trying to learn each & every possible meaning for each & every card, not taking into account that positional meanings & combinations are as much in effect as individual rote meanings. I've done some spellwork, but never ever in a negative way, it can really help you focus to help materialize positive forces. If someone uses the cards, or anything, to 'make someone jealous' perhaps they're not aware, or don't care, about the rule of 3. Frightening.

Bloudwedd

I really, relly dont know why this is. But let me tell you I notice it outside the forums as well!

A pupil of mine just recently asked me:How do I know if the cards talk about this or that? What card indicate love and what card indicates freindship? I had to bite my tongue before I as a true teacher told her that it really depends on the surrounding cards. What I have noticed from her is that she is a person that really really wants some specific answers. But the cards refuses to give her that + that she lacks confidence in her own abillity.

So maybe thats it? People lacking patience and confidence? Maybe it is not the cards themselves they try to reverse-engineer? But the entire spread? *Shrugs*

canid

nisaba said:
Still dying of curiosity, because I had a glimpse at a deck, and I really don't think an undue amount of fiction is being written. <grin>

I am, I am! Writing another novel, that is. I'm still trying to get my 1st one published, & being an editor for Piers Anthony has at least gotten my envelope opened. I use the cards a lot for ideas, fleshing out scenes, characters, etc, if I'm stuck. But both intuitive & trad meanings are much better for this than just LWB stuff. Maybe because my ms has to do with time travel, woo woo stuff.

rif

canid said:
I am, I am! Writing another novel, that is. I'm still trying to get my 1st one published, & being an editor for Piers Anthony has at least gotten my envelope opened. I use the cards a lot for ideas, fleshing out scenes, characters, etc, if I'm stuck. But both intuitive & trad meanings are much better for this than just LWB stuff. Maybe because my ms has to do with time travel, woo woo stuff.

I just want to hop in and say that I used to love Piers Anthony! He's one of my all-time favorite fantasy authors; and was the one to introduce me to the genre. (Didn't read too much of his sci-fi.) In fact, I re-read the Blue Adept series last year, as well as the first few Xanth books. :D

Good luck on your writing (and publication)!

LadyMarian

Hi Nisaba,

I have noticed this too. I think that it is a certain age group that does this type of questioning. It is one of those "generation X, Y or Z" nuances.

A card may mean one thing on its own but when it is placed next to another card it changes the overall reading.

Blessed be,

Lady Marian

gregory

To return to the topic - I don't think it is spell casting that is the issue here. The jealousy thread didn't ask how to MAKE someone jealous, just what card would indicate jealousy.

But I suppose it could be.... Still - lots of the threads wouldn't seem to suggest that - what cards indicate this and the other of all sorts....

(oops sorry; I see the topic was returned to while I typed....!)

Baroli

I think it's people looking for a free reading under the guise of "Does this mean this? I'm not sure,..." OOOOOOK.

There I said it. :)