What does your significant other think of you reading Tarot?

echo

I've been interested in Tarot for a number of years now, but until very recently, never owned a deck or book on Tarot. Upon seeing my deck for the first time, my husband seemed almost amused by it. Not amused exactly, but he kind of had that look on his face like, "Ok, I don't get it, but I'll humor you", if you know what I mean. It's not that he's unsupportive or discouraging my interest, but he's not really supportive either, if that makes sense. I feel like I need to keep it private, partially b/c of his reaction.

Just wondering where the rest of you stand with your spouse/partner/significant other about Tarot, and how if affects you and your readings.

Manda

My ex husband was a horse's rear about it, but he was a horse's rear in a lot of ways, hence the EX part. :laugh:

Now it is just part of who I am, like brown eyes, and vegetarian, so anyone I may become involved with can take it or leave it, and more power to them. :love:

As to your situation, it is always a little strange when your significant other starts trying out new things. Change is good, but it is also unsettling, hence the name. :grin: If he is not actively disparaging you, well, you don't really need his active support, either, to learn tarot. And it's okay to laugh at ourselves, a little, as long as you do not feel belittled.

Good luck to you and welcome to AT!

Sulis

My husband has absolutely no interest in tarot himself but he respects the fact that it's a very large part of my life so he has no problem with it what-so-ever, in fact I think he's quite proud of the fact that I can read cards :).

Alissa

About 15 years ago, when I first bought my own deck into the home, hubby was spooked (but maybe secretly also curious). For years, he just humored me, like you describe as well.

Now? He has several of his own decks, which he collects more than reads, and is completely supportive of my Tarot interest. :D

Things may change (or may not) over time, especially as he sees this isn't a passing phase, but something you really enjoy as part of your life. It did with mine!

echo

Manda said:
As to your situation, it is always a little strange when your significant other starts trying out new things. Change is good, but it is also unsettling, hence the name. :grin: If he is not actively disparaging you, well, you don't really need his active support, either, to learn tarot. And it's okay to laugh at ourselves, a little, as long as you do not feel belittled.

I like what you said here. I think perhaps he does find it a bit unsettling, simply because it's not something he is drawn to.

Lain_82

My boyfriend isn't into Tarot at all, and when we first met, neither was I. However, now that he sees that it's an important part of who I am, and enter my room and sees cards all over the place, or a deck in my bag, he respects it. He even went as far as surprising me with a Fairy Tarot deck a couple of weeks ago. :D

He says that Tarot is part of what makes me unique, and that it's great that we don't share the same interests. (we go to the same college, have some of the same friends, have many things in common) And he even calls me his little witch, which I find very sweet. :)

I guess part of what makes it work in my case is that we're both very respectful of one another, and that we also try to include each other in our private lives, without being intrusive. He may not understand why I enjoy to spend 3 hours of my life reading a spread, but he knows that it's important to me, so he either sits along and ask me questions about the cards, or does something else. And I don't push him with random tarot facts, or give him endless explanations, just as he doesn't push his underground punk bands in my face. (even if I do like punk)

Every couple will find a way to make things work if they trully care for each other, but don't feel that you need to hide this from him. Just continue to be who you are, without being all defensive about it; perhaps his "not supportive" reaction is him trying to give you more space, not a way to show you that he dissaproves and wants you to stop it.

hippiewitchie

I'd say my husband tolerates my tarot. He has made comments like, "you know that Tarot is fake, right?" And he is not amused when I tell him it's real- come you, you can actually touch them :)
He asked me to read his cards once, I think he was just trying to be smart. But he must have gotten something out of it since he has asked me to read for him twice more. Though I have refused on the grounds that if he thinks it's fake then there is no point. He still rolls his eyes if I take out a book on tarot or take out a deck, but he does that if I sit and read a sci-fi novel too. I just ignore him when he gets like this, but it does keep me from taking the cards out at much as I would like to, which sucks.

olivia1

echo said:
Just wondering where the rest of you stand with your spouse/partner/significant other about Tarot, and how if affects you and your readings.

my boyfriend thinks its absolutely stupid . He believes I'm better of spending all the time I do on tarot on learning a computer language or building model ships in a bottle..anything but tarot.He feels my i belief and dependence in tarot is similar to a drug addict's addition.

He thinks I spend too much time and effort deluding myself into believing what could or could not be true, based on what I think I'm being told by little pieces of cardboard and then running off to talk to my friends (who are also into tarot) who are also equally delusional to "reassure" myself that "I'm on the right track." It's funny though, because I've done accurate readings on him in the past and because of those readings he won't let me read up on him,anymore. And for awhile he thought I was gifted and wanted to try tarot out for himself. Either way, he kind of puts a damper on things.

Debra

My husband thinks it's totally cool that I read and collect tarot.

(He is Perfect except for his toenails.)

jackdaw*

He's fine with my "carrot cards", it's not really very different to him than his building models. We respect one another's hobbies. If my spending got out of control on it (as it has in the past before him!) he's quick to put the brakes to it, though!