Overwhelmed!

echo

I'm really new to the study of tarot, and am finding myself rather overwhelmed. I've been reading Learning the Tarot by Joan Bunning, so far it's the only tarot book I've consulted, and have been doing a daily draw where I pick one card each day and try to get to know it. However, it is slow going, and I still feel overwhelmed when I read the book and it talks about how a card's meaning will change depending on the cards next to it in a spread.

I'm aware that this knowledge will come in time, but was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for things I can do to learn the card meanings, or for other books I should look into.

Many thanks!

SkadisPhoenix

Just don't push it, it's something that if you DO push, you'll get more stressed and the knowledge will be harder to find.

One thing that might work for you is making notes about what each image means to you, what they make you think. That way you can use intuition as well as knowledge that you have already picked up. :)

Good luck with it. :)

Sulis

There is no quick way of learning tarot. It's like learning another language and to become fluent in it you need time (lots and lots of time) and practice.

It sounds to me as if you're doing the right thing by pulling a card each day and journalling your thoughts on it.

You could also try learning a bit about numbers and the elements too as that's how the Minor cards are grouped (although Joan Bunning doesn't seem to give you a system to use, just keywords to learn).
Think about the numbers and how they interact with the element. For example 4s are stable, they're about boundaries, foundations to build on, security etc. Put that with the element of water (as in the suit of Cups) and you get emotional security or stability within a relationship but then remember that water likes to flow and if it's contained for too long it will get stagnant and stale.... All that will lead you to the image on the Rider-Waite-Smith card; 4 of Cups where you see someone who looks bored sitting under a tree.

A good dictionary of symbolism is useful too because if you know about the symbolism used in the cards you actually have something to read. This one's good: ''Pictures from the Heart: A Tarot Dictionary'' - Sandra A Thomson

The thing to remember most though is that it takes time and it's a journey that shouldn't really be rushed. To be at the beginning, where you are is a really good place. Tarot is one of those things that you're forever learning, whether you've been reading for a day or for 30 years.

It took me at least 3 years before I really felt like I was starting to 'get it'.

Oh and try not to rely on books when you're actually doing readings. I found that my learning really took off when I decided to read the cards and not what loads of other people had to say about the cards and what they meant.
I think books are fine for studying but when you're actually doing a reading, the cards are all you need. If you use books during readings you find yourself second guessing what you see and doubting that your own thoughts are good enough - they are and they'll get better and more detailed the more you use your cards and the more you journal.

Have fun :).

echo

Sulis said:
The thing to remember most though is that it takes time and it's a journey that shouldn't really be rushed. To be at the beginning, where you are is a really good place. Tarot is one of those things that you're forever learning, whether you've been reading for a day or for 30 years.

It took me at least 3 years before I really felt like I was starting to 'get it'.

Have fun :).

Thanks for this. It helps to know that others found the learning process to be lengthy. When reading posts here at AT, so many of you are rather advanced readers, it was beginning to feel like I was the only novice. I know that's not the case, but it felt a bit that way.

Sulis

You're not the only novice :).
We even have reading circles where you can get practice with others who aren't that experienced at reading and I think that reading for others is a really good way of getting to know your cards and how they relate to each other. The tricky thing with tarot is that each card has quite a large range of meanings and it's difficult to know what meaning to pick when you're reading - that's where the other cards, the spread positions and the question come in.. You have to fit each card into the story you're telling...
With practice and time you learn to weave the cards together - it's not a strict science.. One card can mean one thing in one reading and something completely different in another.

Check out the reading circles, especially the intuitive circle (which doesn't bother with 'traditional' card meanings and the newbies circle which is great for improving your confidence.
Here's some links:
Newbie exchange
Intuitive study group
They're over in the Reading Exchange which you won't be able to access until you have been a member for a week and have 25 posts.
You can also get in there if you choose to subscribe to the forum - click the 'upgrade' button at the top of the page and follow the instructions.

Hope that helps :).

Baroli

One other thing Echo, ,...we are all constantly learning new things about the tarot. It's an ongoing process. It doesn't stop. Some of us have been at it for decades (myself nearly 40). I am constantly learning something new, opening a door to something different. For me, that's what makes it fun and interesting. It's a constant learning experience. :)

firecatpickles

I agree with Sulis. You are doing everything absolutely right!

I would also like to reiterate that applying your (newly) discovered skills in the Reading Exchange would be very helpful (get a subscription and start right away.)

Most importantly, feel free to make mistakes. It seems you may be a bit intimidated by others who have more reading experience, but we all had to start somewhere.

And we still make mistakes, no matter how long we've read.

I like to say that with tarot, we are all beginners because there is always more to learn.

Hang in there!

Nevada

Well first of all you need to relax and cut yourself a break. :) Tarot is something you can do for 20 or more years and still not feel that you've learned all the possible meanings a card can carry in a reading. No one knows that, it's a situational thing, and every situation is unique.

Please don't expect to learn Tarot fast, or to have it mastered in a year or two.

Relaxing with it, using it for yourself or others and progressing a little at a time, even hitting some stumbling blocks along the way -- that's how it's learned. If you feel overwhelmed I think it means you're trying to rush it, or being too hard on yourself.

Also remember Tarot is a tool. You can learn to use an electric mixer or screwdriver to do a basic task, but that doesn't mean you're ready to be a chef in a five star restaurant or repair the space shuttle a year later. These things take time. Let Tarot become a part of your life -- slowly, at your own pace. In my opinion that's the best way to learn.

Just work with it for a while, not worrying how fast you learn, or how much there still is to learn. Just enjoy it. After a while you'll probably be surprised to look back and see how far you've come.

echo

Thanks everyone. I knew that learning Tarot was not going to be a "quick and easy" kind of thing, but it does make me feel much better to hear all of you say that learning Tarot is an ongoing process and that even if you've been reading for years you are still learning new things.

Major Tom

Damn me where's my rubber chicken

Life is far too serious to be taken seriously.

I try to learn something new everyday. I try to enjoy myself all the time.

Like Sulis says, enjoy the ride. ;)