A question in relation to tarot reading and Voodoo-ism

mystic dreamer

I had told my friend that I was about to get my first tarot deck. He said I didn't know what I was doing and tarot cards are voodoo. I told him no it wasn't that it originally started out as a game. I know there are some people who practice voodoo and may use the cards but that's one of there choice in seeing the past present or future. Though its not going to stop me from reading the cards my question is: What part does tarot cards play in voodooism? So I can smack some sense into this guy.

olivia1

voodoo is a religion. Anyway, that's what I learned from the research I did in college. If anything, you would think your friend would say you're studying kababalah... maybe you should ask him to clarify why he thinks tarot is related to voodoo. I would hate to think he is simply ignorant and putting down people's religious beliefs by inferring that voodoo ( a religion) is somehow evil.

Calliope

I agree with olivia. Voodoo is a religion with Catholic influences...and I'm guessing that the type of "Voodoo" that he is probably referring to is the New Orleans-brand of Voodoo (which is different than Voudun, or Voudo, or however way you wish to spell it).

With that said, I'm not aware of Tarot cards being directly related to Voodoo. Practitioners may use them, but they aren't religiously related in and of themselves. They're just a deck of cards with a pretty long history. Tell him to read The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place. I think that would be a good way to start smacking some sense into the boy. :)

Eyes Wide Open

olivia1 said:
voodoo is a religion. Anyway, that's what I learned from the research I did in college. If anything, you would think your friend would say you're studying kababalah... maybe you should ask him to clarify why he thinks tarot is related to voodoo. I would hate to think he is simply ignorant and putting down people's religious beliefs by inferring that voodoo ( a religion) is somehow evil.

I agree with the simply ignorant statement.
I have had people tell me Reiki was "my Voodoo" when asking for work, but yet putting it down.

To some people Voodoo is equal (yes ignorance) to the woowoo statement.

As in it's very woowoo, out there etc.

irisa

There are some things all "primitive" (old) religions share divination is one. Tarot is a form of divination so to me it's not a suprising thing someone with no experience of it to say. Tarot still has a pretty hefty occult label for many people.

irisa :)

firecatpickles

Your friend sounds like a bigoted idiot.

mystic dreamer

thanx everyone and thank you kat I do believe he's an idiot for even thing so

Calliope

Kilted Kat said:
Your friend sounds like a bigoted idiot.

I think Kat summed it up quite well. :D

MysticalMoose

Didn't KK just :D... ((((KK))))

I have rarely if ever encountered such an attitude ...but....then....

I had a message on Facebook a day or so ago from someone I don't know, a person not even on my friends list who had seen a post where I had mentioned Tarot & Mediumship on one of my friends walls....The message read "Do you know what your doing is witchcraft? - why dont you leave them alone> do you think you can CONTROL THEM?!?!?" - normally I would just hit delete & shrug & leave it but there was something about this guys picture that irked me....})...so.. I sent him a very lengthy reply. pleasant but extremely firm & explaining (in terms that even a ignorant fool like him could not fail to understand) what Witchcraft is, what Tarot is & that Mediumship is not about control but communication. I also pointed out that perhaps in future before making comments about a persons way of life & work he should consider whether he actually has any pertinent knowledge so as not to repeat making a complete fool of himself when doing so!... I did get a reply unfortunately no more intelligent than the first but at least agreeing that he knew nothing about either!

I would take the same attitude with your friend to be honest...point out that he knows little to nothing about what he criticises & maybe if he bothered to do a little genuine research he would see how ridiculous his statements sound :)

Good Luck with your Tarot studies :)