Tarot as Noetic Therapy

Teheuti

I've been trying to think of a way of conceptualizing what we do as tarot readers when we begin to cross over into an area that has supposedly been claimed by the Therapy Profession and made forbidden and, in some cases illegal, for the rest of us.

Many of us practice an approach for which others claim we are not "trained" or licensed.

In looking around for a name for what we do I stumbled across what has been called in some research journals, the "noetic therapies". It's a term used for methods where scientific study in healing has barely begun - for instance the role of prayer-at-a-distance in healing.

Nous is a term that's been translated historically as "mind," "intellect" and "common sense." Some describe is as a part of mind that is separate from the senses - an emanation from the divine - the soul. It is the part that perceives Truth and Beauty as something that stands outside of facts and the senses.

The term Noetic is usually reserved for the "higher mind" - a non-rational consciousness that embraces paradox. Noesis, for instance, is translated as insight or intuition.

In modern parlance it is often defined as "non-rational ways of knowing."

The Institute of Noetic Science adopted this term as a way of examining the world around us that embraces just this paradox. Within the field of "noetic science" we find such things as "distance viewing" and the effects of prayer on water, etc.

I propose that a good many tarot readers are more-or-less trained in noetic practices and, in some cases, are much more knowledgeable and experienced than professional Therapists who are specifically trained to discount, and restricted from practicing within, this realm.

In fact, we all know there is considerable overlap. While the professional world seeks officially to discount noetic practices, the noetic field includes, by definition (i.e., the embracing of paradox), whatever works.

The fact is that scientists are now using the term "noetic therapies" for those practices that fall outside of their purview and current understanding. This means they at least acknowledge an area in which others are considered more knowledgeable and experienced (expert) than they are.

The official suspicion of and reluctance to assign value to what we do is the reason why Therapists are directly or indirectly restricted from such practices. Additionally, Therapists who are covered by licenses and insurance, are known to not be officially trained in the avoided and derided "noetic" field.

I believe we should proudly claim the use of tarot as a "noetic therapy," and define it for ourselves, rather than letting someone else compartmentalize us according to their own, far different, values and perspectives.

Mary K. Greer

3crows

blown away

So....I've been thinking a lot about this, Teheuti. I've always known Tarot was a powerful tool for therapy, but it wasn't until today that it really hit home. I had just finished reading this post, when I clicked on an email sent to me from a client last week. She was almost in tears, thankful that she had sought me out, and relieved that she had shared her reading with her husband. I will uphold confidentiality and spare the details, but basically this woman was seriously stuck, with her family life in jeopardy, and experiencing a lot of anxiety over it. But now, after our long-distance email tarot session (I had never met her before) she and her husband are dealing with issues that were previously in denial, and they are moving in a positive direction. This is nothing new to many of you, it happens frequently precisely because we are true, valid therapists.

Yes, let's name it, and claim it. Again- and I'm sorry to hammer the point home, but this situation reminds me of the status of midwifery. Lay Midwives are not taken seriously, and even feared, because they don't have that institutionalized hierarchical training...yet they are among the most powerful women on the planet. (I had two home births by a lay midwife...bless her soul).

Noetic Therapy- I love it!
3 Crows

Teheuti

3 Crows - I caution against using the word "therapist" even with noetic appended in front of it, without checking the laws in your area.

However it can be helpful to say that we operate within the realms of the "noetic therapies" as an explanation for the interactive and healing work involved in some readings.

lor

Teheuti said:
The official suspicion of and reluctance to assign value to what we do is the reason why Therapists are directly or indirectly restricted from such practices. Additionally, Therapists who are covered by licenses and insurance, are known to not be officially trained in the avoided and derided "noetic" field.

As a traditionally-trained therapist who is in the "tarot closet," so to speak, this part of your post really struck me. You put into words what I have been unable to articulate before. I constantly struggle to reconcile my formal schooling with the different ways of knowing that tarot, among other things, can offer, because I know there is value in both approaches but I'm not supposed to admit it! Thank you for a thought-provoking read :)

3crows

Teheuti said:
3 Crows - I caution against using the word "therapist" even with noetic appended in front of it, without checking the laws in your area.

However it can be helpful to say that we operate within the realms of the "noetic therapies" as an explanation for the interactive and healing work involved in some readings.

Caution understood. I'm in the Cambridge, MA area, and as progressive as this city is, one must still take care. thanks for your insight.

blackroseivy

If I may butt in, only because I'm fascinated by this subject...?

I am 44, & strongly tempted to train as a therapist, if only so that I can say that I have done so as a reader. That may seem drastic or extreme; but the way I think of both subjects is quite formed by this time, though I would very much appreciate the mind-expanding experiences that come with further schooling (I am a BIG believer in further education).

I have been through therapy myself, good & bad - I wanted to post about that but then retracted it as it was not quite appropriate to this sub-forum.

I have a Mary K. Greer book in my collection - it is signed. :D

At any rate, I'm curious to see if this idea of mine holds any water. Especially as having been a patient, to be the one who treats the disease (or whatever you care to call it) would be quite an ironic twist in my life!

Mainly, I'm held back simply by the fact that I do not have the financial wherewithal - & my background is in art. I had wanted to study art therapy - but there are very few schools with this focus, as it turns out, & it's not possible just now. But there is always the future... ;)