Reading for a Children's Party

Mellaenn

Hi, all; I was hoping to get your advice on how to read for children. I've been asked to be "Madame Mellaenn" for a children's tea party in early October. I think it will be fun, but I doubt that I will be getting the usual types of questions about money, love and health :grin: (at least, I hope not!)

I think these little girls range in age from five to eight. I intend to use my Halloween tarot; I thought it would be fun for kids.

Any thoughts you have will be greatly appreciated - thanks!

ruski_svet

I read a couple years ago at work for Harry Potter night. We had kids from about 6 to teens drawing cards. They were totally into it!
They were also very open to what I told them; not all jaded like I imagined.

Just find a deck without graphic/very nude images and tell them how it may relate to their general lives (one girl pulled the 6 of Pentacles. I told her she's very giving and will do good deeds. Turns out she volunteers somewhere. Woot!)
Ask for their input, too. They love to tell you what they think and it will mix things up instead of leaving the talking up to you.
This sounds adorable- have fun!

Riverstone

I also did readings for children at a local bookstore for a Harry Potter party. I used the Madame Endora cards. The bookstore manager wanted me to remove any cards that would frighten the children or disturb their parents. What can I say... I live in Utah. If I'd had more of a choice I would have probably used the Hansen-Roberts deck.
I don't mean to sound negative. It was a great night. The children mostly had questions about school, new friendships, and after-school activities. I wanted to do something a little different, so I asked each of the children if they wanted a magic name, which I would whisper into their ears. I gave them names related to nature and they seemed to like that.

Manda

I do several children's parties a year. In Autumn, I use the Halloween deck, heck, kids like it at most times of the year. I also use the Whimsical for kidlettes, though my daughter now insists she and her friends get readings from the Illuminated. She has good taste, what can I say? :laugh:

Reading for them is not very much different except using kid words. A reader I know takes out what she considers to be the "difficult" cards, but I don't. If I got a Ten of Swords, I would say something like, "Even when we hurt a lot, it's good to remember that it doesn't last for long, and that we can always talk about our hurts with the people that love us and keep us safe."

One difficult thing to be aware of - sometimes sensitive people pick up information from kids that they don't know what to do with. A very personal example was abuse coming up for a neighbor kid a couple years ago. It broke my heart, and I wanted to snatch him up and keep him safe, and cuddle him, and feed him chocolate pudding and play board games with him and capture all his artwork on my fridge right next to my kids'. It was too much. :(

nisaba

<grin> "Love" references become "best friend" references. "Money" references become "the stuff you own" references.

Go ahead, knock yourself out <warm smile>.

Alta

You might want to keep a warm and fuzzy oracle on hand if any of the kids strikes as very sensitive too.

MareSaturni

Ohh, i think that deck like the Hanson-Roberts, Whimsical and Halloween might be good choices to use in this party. :D

Any oracle decks by Gilliam Kemp are nice too - specially the Good Witch, Bad Witch, to read for the girls.

Riverstone said:
I wanted to do something a little different, so I asked each of the children if they wanted a magic name, which I would whisper into their ears. I gave them names related to nature and they seemed to like that.

I found Riverstone's idea simply brilliant! Is a way to give children something to carry after the party. Well done, Riverstone!

I think it all depends on how old are the kids. If they are 8-12, they may enjoy cute decks, but if they are teenagers (13-16) already, they'll do everything to not be treated like "children" so HR and Whimsical might not appeal to them.

But the Halloween, in my opinion, is kinda universal. Even the adults find it cute :D

Chronata

I love reading for kids!

The Halloween is a great deck for that too...cute theme, and whimsical, but also gets to the heart of matters.

I find kids often ask about friends and school, but also they seem to want to know what they should do when they are older...

If you are good at career path readings,or can just read court cards as talents and skills...kids LOVE the "fortune telling" aspect of what they will be when they grow up.

Mellaenn

Hi, all - thanks so much for the wonderful advice. I think the Halloween deck will definitely be a good choice, or maybe Mystic Faerie.

Ruski-svet, that's a great idea to keep it interactive; I do that in my readings anyway. Chronata, I love the idea of using courts to see what they may want to do when they get older. And since they are little girls, I have some Doreen Virtue Angel cards to thow in to the mix; good idea to have a warm and fuzzy oracle on hand, Alta, thanks!

Also, love the creative idea of whispering to them a magical name, Riverstone! I'm thinking I might try to come up with a fun way to create each name that somehow relates to their real name, a goddess name, and their birthday...I'll play with that.

Marina, Manda and Nisaba and everyone - thanks for the encouragement! I'm looking forward to it. Oh, and yes - I will have my business cards available for when their moms come to pick them up in case they are interested...

MareSaturni

Go you Mellaenn!!!!

Just don't forget to let us know how it went after all :)
I'm curious now!