picking unexpected stuff up

nisaba

Er ...

Um ...

<takes bull by the horns>

Does anyone else pick up stuff about the creators of decks you use a lot?

Case one: Gotta deck in the nineties that I fell in love with, in which the creator used a little iconic cartoonised image of herself in many of the cards, plus her husband in the Emperor and the Lovers. Got to know her personality, lovely but slightly mad, very, very quickly. I assumed that was because I *read* it out of the images. Later on, someone saw her sitting behind me whilst I was reading publicly - since then, I've been able to sense her sitting behind me, too.

Case two: a number of years later I was looking for a given deck I'd heard about and finally bought it sight unseen. Lush, gorgeous, everything I'd expected. Then I went off over a few months, and snapped up three more decks the same designer made. All of them quite different, all visually appealing, all well-executed. Good-to-great decks. I've spent a bit of time with two of them recently, and they're still fabulous-looking decks that work well and I'm only too happy to handle the decks, but I'm no longer altogether sure I like their creator: I've never had feelings of any kind about him before, only about his decks but now I'm starting to sense that he's a bit of a sleaze-ball. Doesn't put me off the decks, though, just off the person.

Two decks I've picked up more recently, both designed by women, both very clear, good, well-thought-out decks, both of them visually attractive. Now I'm starting to sense things bout their personalities as well, even though I've not dealt with them at all on a personal level, just handled their decks.

Now, I'm not talking about deducing stuff about people by studying the cards, noticing underlying themes and drawing conclusions about their personalities that way. At first that was what I thought I was doing. But more recently, I'm starting to think it's as if each copy of the decks they've created were extensively handled by them (which they weren't - they were bought sealed from publishers or distributors) and I'm practising psychometry on them (which I can't do, I've never been able to pick up much information that way).

Something weird is happening. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it - it's just surprising me, not bothering me, and I'm wondering if other people get like this too.

It's worth noting that I'm not necessarily deeply emotional about all of the decks in question, so I don't think it can be blamed on any excessive attachments I have.

Indigo Rose

nisaba said:
Does anyone else pick up stuff about the creators of decks you use a lot?

Yes, I pick things up. I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing my perceptions, but I am acknowledging your experience as one I have had too. :heart:

lark

Yes, me too Nisaba, I'm not as open minded as you are I guess because it does put me off using some of the decks...so I trade them.
Definitly get personalities coming through..which are sometimes confirmed by face to face meetings etc.
And that is not always bad like you mention...

I really like the RWS deck though because of this very reason.
Some people think Waite had a lot of input into the deck images and some people think Pixie did it mostly herself.
I get a very doodly feeling with her drawings in that deck..happy, I'm just doing it and it's fun...kind of feeling.
Also I feel he did direct things especially in the Majors, but in the minors she really was kind of entertaining herself with the drawings.
And there is no emotional energy attachment from her in that deck...once she was finished she let it go...the energy is a very strong feeling of giving the deck "to us" now.

Some decks I can feel that the creator didn't want to let it go...and that there are things in it that they want to keep to themselves and not share...makes the deck hard to read for me...it doesn't feel open and offered, but more grudgingly handed over.

My favorite energy feeling comes from the Robin Wood deck...and when I read the companion book I realised why...the whole time she is drawing the deck she is thinking about us and how we will see and experience the card...
She is imprinting the deck with the feeling that she is offering it out to us for our use.... and that comes through loud and clear when I use the deck.
And it then has the potential to become my deck...and not the creators creation.

214red

its not too weird Nisaba, if your doing psychometry it makes sense your opening up more. in the same way you can connect to tarot creators, you could touch a wall and pick up the builder or the last owner etc

everyone develops differently, and it looks like this is one of the skills your opening up more and more... when you cant touch people thats when you have to worry...lol

Grizabella

If you were to write a book, then a huge part of yourself intellectually, personally and spiritually would be invested in the book. That's going to come through to the person who reads the book. It's like holding the essence of who you are and what you're about in a reader's hands. I'm sure it's the same with Tarot--maybe even more so in some respects. It's probably the same as when we find our "voice" with writing. You're picking up the voice of the creator of the deck in a spiritual sense.

Besides, don't most of the authors of the smaller editions of decks, like MRP decks and such, have a supply of their decks and sell/distribute them themselves? So they may have passed through the creator's hands and picked up some of their energy along the way.

nisaba

<grin> but I wouldn't have thought it was about psychometry, as I've never held in my hands a deck that hte actual creator has held or worked iwth - merely printed facsimiles run off in their thousands by a factory somewhere and then packed and posted to me by people wholly unconnected with their design or printing.

Which is why I was puzzled.

And no, even in the one case where I mentioned a particular unpleasantness on the part of the deck-creator, the decks themselves are still great to work with and to own. I just have to rule out letting him in <grin>, which I suppose is a sort of free-range, informal shielding.

214red

nisaba said:
<grin> but I wouldn't have thought it was about psychometry, as I've never held in my hands a deck that hte actual creator has held or worked iwth - merely printed facsimiles run off in their thousands by a factory somewhere and then packed and posted to me by people wholly unconnected with their design or printing.

Which is why I was puzzled.

And no, even in the one case where I mentioned a particular unpleasantness on the part of the deck-creator, the decks themselves are still great to work with and to own. I just have to rule out letting him in <grin>, which I suppose is a sort of free-range, informal shielding.
its all forms of mediumship, as you say you need to make sure your protected. make sure your intention is firm that he cant be around you, and he wont he will run off, if your soft on that though they can be a bugger to get rid of.
i would suggest as your opening yourself up soo much, you need to read more about energy work, this includes chakra, auras, and protection to will help you greatly as you develope

Bernice

Picking stuff up....

According to Kahuna thought, everything and everyone are linked together as if by threads.

So if you zero in on something or someone - pinpoint focus - then you can 'pick them up', feel as they feel etc.

I've found this to be true. But I think you only get a clear connection if you are quite objective and have no preconceived opinions. i.e: calmly open yet grounded.

Bee :)

EDIT: the 'focussing' is not to be confused with intense concentration - that just blocks it. It's more like 'idly wondering' with a pinpoint focus.