Depression / reading

Morgane_49

Perhaps 'depression' is too strong of a word...

For a reader, or at least for myself, when things aren't going well, my first instinct is to do a reading.

Lately, I've had alot of turmoil in my life. I'm also an empath, which means that I take on the emotions and feelings of those around me, so in troubling times, this can make things especially hard on me.

I always ground myself properly before and after a reading, but of late, all of my readings are very dark and somewhat disturbing.

My first reaction is that I'm allowing my own emotions to take over the reading too much, but unfortunately, dark and dreary as they are, the readings seem to be very accurate for what is going on with myself and those that I read for.

But I can't help but question whether I am influencing the readings too much by my own feelings! At this point, I'm trying NOT to do a reading. It almost makes me feel like I'm going in a vicious circle when I do...

I know that the cards are giving me the information I need to change things, but how do you deal with it when you know that you've done everything you can, and you're still getting the same answers?

I hope someone understands what I'm saying. I know I'm not giving alot of details, but I don't want to bore you to death with them!

Are there ever times when you're better off to not do a reading for yourself or those you care about?

SherryZoned

I am sure more people will chime in...

For me when I go through a lot I do readings also. But then it seems I keep getting the same answer. So I just stop. I wont read until whatever it is is resolved for the simple fact that it seems like the problem has to work itself out without me trying to "control" the situation or even make it go faster. Some things just literally need time.

Oh and i forgot to add:

If you feel like you should not be reading for others then do not do it. Give yourself a break. Taking care of yourself first will help whatever you are going through to get through it.

BeyondtheVeil

You sound like me. :) I have found out that when I am getting cards like that and/or going through something major {good or bad}... I do NOT read for myself. I definitely think our moods/emotions about a topic or event/etc can affect a reading. It sounds like you are needing some time to rest and take a break. I would do so. If you have something important that you want to know, why not do an exchange with someone else? That way, their emotions won't be clouding the reading and you may understand the answer. Just a thought. :)

sherryzoned said it well also. Take care of yourself!

BeyondtheVeil

Morgane_49

Thank you for the responses! It seems we are all thinking along the same lines.

In all fairness, the readings haven't been completely negative. I am probably just zoning in on that part more than the 'good cards' because of my current situation.

I only read for friends and family - all of which are going through some trying times right now. While I've done a couple of readings for them just to test myself recently, I have kept the readings to myself because I know that my mood may be a factor.

I actually took a bit of a hiatus from reading for a couple of weeks because of the problems that were going on, and I was starting to feel that my dark readings were hurting more than they were helping. Yesterday, I decided to do another reading (for myself) with a rather large 6 month spread, only to find that my mini-vacation from reading hadn't made things look different.

I think I so desperately want some good news that I may even be overlooking it!

Grizabella

Every card has both "good" and "bad" meanings. None are totally bad even if that's their "reputation". Try looking for the good things only in every spread you do and see what you get. :) Naturally, there will be a mixture of both in our lives and in our readings, but as an exercise, try only looking for the good for awhile.

And hang in there. Remember the Wheel. Whatever goes down will come back up eventually. :heart:

nisaba

Morgane_49 said:
I always ground myself properly before and after a reading, but of late, all of my readings are very dark and somewhat disturbing.

I know that the cards are giving me the information I need to change things, but how do you deal with it when you know that you've done everything you can, and you're still getting the same answers?
Every so often we face dark and disturbing times in our lives. It's called being human. Your cards are not causing it, merely drawing your attention to it. I actually don't mind the rough'n'rugged stuff too much (except while it's happening) - it tends to show you that the bits of your life that you'd otherwise consider boring or take for granted are really priceless treasures.

Morgane_49 said:
Are there ever times when you're better off to not do a reading for yourself or those you care about?
Is a blind person better off not to take their white cane or their guide dog with them when they leave the house? the came will warn them about gutters, so they can take evasive action and avoid falling. The dog will warn them about traffic, so they don't attempt to cross a road and get run down. Your deck will warn you of danger, too, so that you can take evasive action or brace yourself and be ready for it.

Why leave a warning aid at home where it is useless, when you are roaming around in the world?

janee

I love the way you think nisaba, wise woman indeed.

BeyondtheVeil

nisaba said:
Every so often we face dark and disturbing times in our lives. It's called being human. Your cards are not causing it, merely drawing your attention to it. I actually don't mind the rough'n'rugged stuff too much (except while it's happening) - it tends to show you that the bits of your life that you'd otherwise consider boring or take for granted are really priceless treasures.

This is so true. :) The accident with my ankle/leg really let me focus on ME for a change. I hated when it happen, but if it hadn't.. I would still be putting off doing tarot or joining this board. I believe things happen for a reason and that helps 'me" to get through things. I had the Tower for an outcome card two years straight. It was so hard, but was the most important and memorable {ha ha} of my life. It also ended up being completely for the best!

nisaba said:
Is a blind person better off not to take their white cane or their guide dog with them when they leave the house? the came will warn them about gutters, so they can take evasive action and avoid falling. The dog will warn them about traffic, so they don't attempt to cross a road and get run down. Your deck will warn you of danger, too, so that you can take evasive action or brace yourself and be ready for it.

Why leave a warning aid at home where it is useless, when you are roaming around in the world?

This is true also and something that I now do myself. You have some great advice nisaba! :love:

nisaba

<smile> I appreciate that.

Morgane_49

nisaba said:

Thank you for your response, nisaba. I do understand what you're saying!

When I'm forewarned of rough times ahead, there is still hope, because I know that the cards will tell me what to do to alter the outcome. But when everything slips up on you and you're in the throes of it all, it gets hard to see the proverbial forest for the trees at times, and that's where I am right now.

But you are 100% correct. Tarot is a life tool for me, I don't need to step blindly into the abyss.

Thanks to everyone for their responses...I will work my way through this.

I think I seriously wanted someone to say that I was causing my own dark readings, when in reality, it's just a dark time in my life. When I'm doing a reading, I'm putting negativity where it doesn't belong.

I will give it another try today and let you know how it goes.