guestion about tarot

fairielf

In what countryes you hav to pay for practicing tarot(i mean taking money from clients)?how many you hav to pay?In Romania you hav to pay if you dont is a crime ...

Debra

Hi fairielf.

Is this your question: If the tarot reader gets paid, the reader must pay a tax to the government?

In America, we are supposed to tell the government all of our income. Every year, we pay a tax on our income (income tax). So when I get paid for tarot reading, I report the income to the government, and I pay income tax. When I read for free, I do not tell the government.

Also in America, in some states there are restrictions on "fortunetelling." Tarot readers in these states can call themselves "consultants" or "spiritual consultants."

fairielf

I think is unfair...To pay the tax because fortune telling isnt a job lol ...But how about Canada?Australia?If u dont pay the tax u get ...banished :D?

Debra

It is a job if you get paid :) The same is true for people who cut hair, do gardening, etc. If you get "income" you pay "income tax."

WalesWoman

fairielf said:
I think is unfair...To pay the tax because fortune telling isnt a job lol ...But how about Canada?Australia?If u dont pay the tax u get ...banished :D?
When did life become fair? Fortune telling isn't a job? Tell that to the readers who make their living from doing readings, of course it can be a job! If you set up shop, be it in a store front, at home and/or via internet & email and charge for readings, it's a business and might even need a business license in some places and if you live anyplace where income is taxable, you pay those taxes or suffer the consequences. The governments usually don't care how you make money as long as it's legal and they get their cut.

I'm sure there are many people who get paid for readings under the table and don't report that income or don't charge for readings, but have a jar for donations... but even that would be like getting a tip and still be considered income and taxable.

fairielf

Humm...here it is said that not all ppl can read cards,just ones who hav the gift.And if ur age is from 14-16 u hav to pay the tax?

WalesWoman

Ages 14 to 16 have to pay a tax? It sounds more like having to get an underage work permit more than a tax.

Are there some standards of practice, like a test or something to prove one has a "gift"? I would imagine that isn't a bad idea, it would sure weed out the charlatans that just make up stuff or give everyone the same standard clap-trap, reading from a cheat sheet.

fairielf

i mean if u have that gift ,when you use the cards ur intuition helps u a lot is like somone tells you about the clients problems,soo hav to pay if ur aged 14-16?

Aerin

If you are taking money for something then it is earning. Any skill is a gift and people exchange use of their skills for cash.

In the UK there are laws surrounding children working for adults (seemingly defined as adults profiting from their work) including how old they have to be, what hours they can work, and so on. Everyone has an amount up to which they can earn money without paying any tax: it's hard to see how a school child could earn more than this (by reading tarot) without missing school and that's illegal.

If you don't pay tax on your earnings then you are evading responsibility IMO. That's fine - as long as you don't expect to use any of the things that taxes pay for which is where it tends to fall down.

fairielf

Soo...if im 16 i will practice it and i will pay :)