what are you doing to cope with the recession

mac22

The SGC [Sacred Grove Co-op] has cut back on events but we run lots more classes at HQ. We have also scaled back price of reading to $15/30min.

What have others done?

Mac22

nisaba

I've been poor for about two years - my lifestyle hasn't, therefore, changed at all. It was already pared back.
Of course, any time I *do* find myself with a little extra money outside the budget, I'm happy to invest it in decks. Hasn't happened for a little while.

lark

One of the fairs I work at is cutting back on the number of weekends we work.
One store is pretty much staying with the same schedule.
We have noticed that if we have less fairs more people come...I guess because they figure they will have to wait longer for an appointment so they make the effort to come in.
But then again I was just offered a job to work as a reader in a Spa...so that fills in the days I'm losing at the fair
So all in all the universe is taking pretty good care of me.
Also have some really fun halloween parties lined up.
But as far as fee's go my prices have always been very reasonable so haven't changed them.

214red

to be honest i think in times like this readers are more likely to get more people coming through their doors.
i feel the universe is providing for my fairly well:)

mac22

214red said:
to be honest i think in times like this readers are more likely to get more people coming through their doors.
i feel the universe is providing for my fairly well:)

I tend to agree.

Mac22

starrystarrynight

As far as tarot goes, it feels to me as though things are starting to pick up again after many months of lower sales. In fact, in the last couple of weeks, I've been contacted by quite a few past (as in from several years ago...) clients who are looking for readings again.

What I've been doing to get over the hump is to market differently--offering 10% off online readings if the customers purchase directly through Paypal instead of ordering through any of the fee-based auction sites where I list them. This is for returning clients only (I can market directly to them via email), so they feel they are getting a deal in saving a few dollars, and I am actually netting a little bit more this way than by listing in and paying auction fees. It has been working out pretty well. I still advertise on the auction sites for new clients, though.

For my phone readings, where I still want/need to get my fifty bucks per reading, I throw in an extra ten minutes as a bonus. Again, it doesn't cost me anything except a few extra minutes of my time...and the client feels s/he is getting a break (which s/he is.) I think it's a win-win situation.

Additionally, (beyond tarot), I have picked up my paint brushes and have started taking commissions for pet portraits again (and will soon begin doing other paintings to sell, too), now that I can once again tolerate the smell of my acrylics :))), which turned my stomach for awhile when I was ill. The money there is pretty good...better than doing tarot readings, anyway!

In a real pinch, I suppose I could look up some of my old editors (if I can find any of them) who always assigned work to me, even though many of them have retired or moved on. But I'm not ready for that grind again, I don't think. I got pretty burned out after almost 2 dozen years of freelance writing. (It paid the bills, though...)

It's all a labor of creative love, but diversifying has kept the dollars coming in and the creditors away from the doorstep.

I am not, by any means, wealthy, though. :) That is for sure!

Debra

We had a month where everyone wanted tarot readings. It was astounding. Now things have settled back down to recession-like levels. The shop where I'm reading is planning a harvest festival and food bank benefit in the hopes it will bring more people in, and I'm planning a tarot workshop the following week.

eta: Apart from tarot, I have a job that's so far still paying, and I free-lance for another place that's got a steady pace of work. My main job, we haven't seen a pay increase--not even a symbolic lil' one--in five years.

magpie9

Well, Crap....

This last month has been scary at the Shop. I've just been through 2 weekends in a row with NO readings. It's been just about a month since I had a "good" day there. The phone readings I do at home have kept me going. Da Boss has come up with a scheme to accept credit cards for readings, but it all hinges on us giving him the cash up front to pay us in cash (he's calling it a "loan", but says he won't repay it :bugeyed:) AND charging the customers a 12% surcharge for accepting their credit card.
Can you spell Greed?
So far, this has created no readings for us, and I don't think it ever will...but it will do a great job of alienating and getting rid of customers. I lost a couple last weekend. I am now refusing to take any part in this, and have just gone out and picked up 2 days a week at another local meta shop, that is re-opening with new management. It will be a while before there's much business there, but in time there should be. And I will be charging less there than at the old shop--which should help create more regular customers.

Hopefully, Da Boss won't fire me, but if he does, I don't have much to lose at this point. As it is, I don't think his shop is going to recover from the slump, and I have no intention of going down with his ship. It's been going down for quite a while now...and his response to hard times always has been to charge more while giving less. It doesn't really work well for anyone, but he won't listen to reason or common sense about any of it. I don't see how I can Save The Day for him and his store...I just hope I can Save The Day for myself.

Bloudwedd

magpie9 said:
This last month has been scary at the Shop. I've just been through 2 weekends in a row with NO readings. It's been just about a month since I had a "good" day there. The phone readings I do at home have kept me going. Da Boss has come up with a scheme to accept credit cards for readings, but it all hinges on us giving him the cash up front to pay us in cash (he's calling it a "loan", but says he won't repay it :bugeyed:) AND charging the customers a 12% surcharge for accepting their credit card.
Can you spell Greed?
So far, this has created no readings for us, and I don't think it ever will...but it will do a great job of alienating and getting rid of customers. I lost a couple last weekend. I am now refusing to take any part in this, and have just gone out and picked up 2 days a week at another local meta shop, that is re-opening with new management. It will be a while before there's much business there, but in time there should be. And I will be charging less there than at the old shop--which should help create more regular customers.

Hopefully, Da Boss won't fire me, but if he does, I don't have much to lose at this point. As it is, I don't think his shop is going to recover from the slump, and I have no intention of going down with his ship. It's been going down for quite a while now...and his response to hard times always has been to charge more while giving less. It doesn't really work well for anyone, but he won't listen to reason or common sense about any of it. I don't see how I can Save The Day for him and his store...I just hope I can Save The Day for myself.

Just wanted to say that I admire your integrity! Keep going!

Debra

The little shop here would go down with a thud if people couldn't use their debit or credit cards. It does cost a bit to the shop owner, but she'd lose way more if she said no.

In some states it's illegal to charge a surcharge for using a credit card.

Surcharges are forbidden in merchant contracts with Visa and Mastercard.

You are Smart to stay away from that dopey scheme.

Good luck at the new place! :love: dammit I luv this heart smiley