have you ever read on the same question using different decks?

ladyofhearts

has anyone read on one question using one or two different decks? what were your experiences with that? i have read on the same subject using 2 different decks. my experience was that it gave similiar readings, only different cards. the same basic answer. anyone elses experiences to share?

Sulis

Hi ladyofhearts,

Yes I have and the result was the same as yours - same message, different cards although I seem to remember that some of the cards were the same in both readings. It's not something I do often but I've done it a few times.

Nytebugg

yes, I have out of curiosity and with the same results as you had. Some different cards but the interpretation was similar. I would have certain key cards come up in both spreads.

ladyofhearts

wow, very interesting..and, thanks for insight. i guess then the universe is letting us know the message is the same. so, as i see it, if certain energies are presenting themselves from the person or situation being read on, nothing will change no matter what deck is used. unless the situation itself surrounding that person or situation changes. amazing stuff.

Lilija

The only time ever really do that is when i'm trying to figure out what deck(s) to take somewhere. I ask a number of decks what they can bring to whatever it is I'm doing, then pull one card from each and lay them out together on a table. Very telling. My Thoth usually declines reading for other people, giving all sorts of excuses.

hunter

When I am in crisis I take out almost all my decks and pick one card from each one. I don't use a spread. Decks with book meanings that routinely include shame and blame meanings, I leave till almost done, because by then I feel supported enough to let them speak and if the response is too traumatic, I let another deck defend me.

I think of it as kind of a tea party where everyone chimes in. Some of the advice is great and sometimes a deck written by a certain person, shows it's negative side, and gives some advice that would be helpful if said differently, but is so triggering I get too defensive to hear. The other decks help balance things.

Oracles and runes sometimes join the party, too.

All the shuffling is very soothing to me. Only secondary to thinking in the shower.

greycats

The same but different.

I don't use a different deck for the same question deliberately. However, sometimes when I think I've moved on, my thoughts haven't. Then I'll get a different look at the same question--some other aspect or something I hadn't previously considered.

Manda

I don't think this is exactly what you mean, but I routinely do readings with a combined deck of Victorian Romantic and Bohemian Gothic, and occasionally get the same card from each deck. It's a good way to look at things in a different way, for me.

Grizabella

I've thought of doing readings with the VR and BG separately but side-by-side but haven't tried it yet. Combining the decks sounds interesting, too, except I'd have to choose with my eyes closed.

Other than that, I think I did try two different decks on the same question once but it doesn't stand out in my mind what happened. (Of course, sometimes nothing stands out in my mind for very long, so I don't know how significant that is. :p )

kisou

hunter said:
I think of it as kind of a tea party where everyone chimes in.

This is an interesting perspective on getting to use multiple decks for a single reading! I think I might want to give this a shot :D

I purposefully put away all my decks in a hard to reach place under my bed just for things like this, though. As a result, I rarely get tempted to read on the same issue with different decks, though I think it can definitely be beneficial given the right circumstances (i.e. laying cards on one another to enhance meaning, clarify, etc.)